No customers after 2 months. Struggling :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hun the mums at school are the key! All you need is one if them to have a spray tan or shellac and knowing how mums in the playground are they will then all want them! It is really important though that it is a really natural tan (I only say this as there was a therapist doing tans at my kids school who is herself way too tanned and it had put the mums off, till they saw 1of my tans!) do a loyalty scheme on your tans I do every tenth tan free, this really makes sure they come back to you! Don't be disheartened if u don't hear back from your leaflet drops straight away I got calls months after!

Hi hun, keep your chin up, things will get better! Most people I know are quiet at the moment, time of the year I'm afraid! So use this time to do some more research, get materials together and make a marketing plan of action.
Have you looked at Lynne Baker's thread? Some great ideas there.

Good luck with it all.

xx

Hi Hunny,it takes 2/3 years for a bussines to take off,home salon,rented room or salon,i will be in my 12th year this xmas as a salon owner...its been hard the last 18months/2yrs for my salon...3 beauty level 3/4 nail tecs inc myself..I have to put hours in to make the salon work..eg day off tues 2and a half hours on papper work..then the ironing!!!
please dont give up sept goes quiet..oct dead..nov..picks up...dec...god help us all!!jan good times..feb ticks over...march ...easter on it way we back on track for the summer.
Advice when you make a few bob(money)sorry that was my scouse comming out..keep hold off it clear stock/bills ect..a new bussiness you make money and put it all back in to it for at least 3/4 years.any Q Dragons Pm me...sarah

Hi hun, keep your chin up, things will get better! Most people I know are quiet at the moment, time of the year I'm afraid!

Have you looked at Lynne Baker's thread? Some great ideas there.

Sorry redsadie, but I have to dispute your first point - I am half an hour from Coventry, and (aside from a couple of slots next week because I've opened up my day off) I am fully booked 'til Nov 9th, day and night!

The piece of advice you give is valid though - there will be some excellent ideas in Lynne Baker's thread. *hug*

To the OP, the problem you seem to have is trying to compete with the cheapskates, for cheapskate clients! £15 for a Shellac? Seriously Hun? Are you using the full Shellac system including CND UV lamp? & have you completed the Shellac training? If so, why on earth would you charge £15?! You DO need to change your prices, but upwards, not down. And then market yourself to people that will pay for quality and are free during the day: ladies in their 40s/50s/60s who don't work (but whose husbands work earning a decent wage) form a good proportion of my clientele; 'yummy mummies' are another group (is there a private school near you? If so, you need to get in with those mummies - they have money to spend and will pay for quality and service!). If you look after these ladies, they will look after you - and recommend you to all their friends.

I am really quite local to you (just outside Stratford upon Avon) and actually have a Coventry-based client who will probably be happy to switch to another technician through the winter months - especially if it means she can avoid the travel to me and the standard of her service isn't compromised. She is used to paying £25 (rising to £27 soon) every 3 weeks for Shellac. If you'd like to give me a call you will find my details at www.uptoscratchnails.com xx

Hun the mums at school are the key! All you need is one if them to have a spray tan or shellac and knowing how mums in the playground are they will then all want them! It is really important though that it is a really natural tan (I only say this as there was a therapist doing tans at my kids school who is herself way too tanned and it had put the mums off, till they saw 1of my tans!) do a loyalty scheme on your tans I do every tenth tan free, this really makes sure they come back to you! Don't be disheartened if u don't hear back from your leaflet drops straight away I got calls months after!

I couldn't agree more with this comment, this is what I plan to do. My sister in law bakes cakes and has amazing designs on them, she gets most customers from the kids school. She also goes to the school fairs etc and sells the little cupcakes - everyone loves a cupcake. Its defo worth getting the mums on your side!! As word of mouth is the best promotion 

Sorry redsadie, but I have to dispute your first point - I am half an hour from Coventry, and (aside from a couple of slots next week because I've opened up my day off) I am fully booked 'til Nov 9th, day and night!

Ok hun, it's great you are doing well at the moment, and I'm sure there are others too, but I (and as I said) most people *I* know (around where I live) are quieter than usual and always are at this time of the year, so we'll agree to disagree on this point :hug:

The piece of advice you give is valid though - there will be some excellent ideas in Lynne Baker's thread. *hug*

Thanks

To the OP, the problem you seem to have is trying to compete with the cheapskates, for cheapskate clients! £15 for a Shellac? Seriously Hun? Are you using the full Shellac system including CND UV lamp? & have you completed the Shellac training? If so, why on earth would you charge £15?! You DO need to change your prices, but upwards, not down. And then market yourself to people that will pay for quality and are free during the day: ladies in their 40s/50s/60s who don't work (but whose husbands work earning a decent wage) form a good proportion of my clientele; 'yummy mummies' are another group (is there a private school near you? If so, you need to get in with those mummies - they have money to spend and will pay for quality and service!). If you look after these ladies, they will look after you - and recommend you to all their friends.

Yes, agree, very good advice.

I am really quite local to you (just outside Stratford upon Avon) and actually have a Coventry-based client who will probably be happy to switch to another technician through the winter months - especially if it means she can avoid the travel to me and the standard of her service isn't compromised. She is used to paying £25 (rising to £27 soon) every 3 weeks for Shellac. If you'd like to give me a call you will find my details at www.uptoscratchnails.com xx

That's kind of you :)

Where are you based in Coventry nails<3?

I had a random email of a company called photobox saying I could have a free photo book , my husband laughed at me when it took me ages to add all the pictures of shellac and minx I had done. The book came and even he was impressed lol. Cost 3.99 p&p you customise put my name and phone mumber on. My point is a picture paints a thousand words I can show them minx and shellac I will be doing a new one when I have done some crystal pedis and rockstar xx

I couldn't agree more with this comment, this is what I plan to do. My sister in law bakes cakes and has amazing designs on them, she gets most customers from the kids school. She also goes to the school fairs etc and sells the little cupcakes - everyone loves a cupcake. Its defo worth getting the mums on your side!! As word of mouth is the best promotion &#57430;

You know what you need is cup cakes with your logo on!! I have these for my childrens pamper parties so that the kids take them home for a bit of advertising :)

This is great advice

Hi
I agree with the great ideas here and definitely don't lower your prices hun! Never feel like you HAVE to compete with these cheaper places because that's usually exactly what they are CHEAP! Clients will come see you and will come back regularly because you offer QUALITY! Cheap prices = cheap clients. I learned that the hard way and had to raise my prices after the first few months.

I started from home in a very quiet area, took me two months before I got even one client even with advertising everywhere.

I was at home for about 2yrs and it was never super busy. I had just trolled of clients and do I decided to rent a spot. I found a local gym that was offering a room and I took it! I can say it was the best decision I ever made. I am busy on slow days and VERY busy in booked days.

I thought moving out of my home place was giving up but it's just a step foward :)

Firstly keep at it, cos a good technician is a keeper :hug:

Secondly can you link your facebook page or PM me it ? I'll add you as I am in Coventry too ( was training nails but am learning PCV driving at the moment lol )

Also i want mine doing haha, so fancy doing a nail biter ? :eek::Scared::wink2:, went elsewhere in Cov and wasnt impressed, so Im happy for you to go nuts on me, and I will pay ofc :lol:

Latest posts

Back