No more Salon Geek for me

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pinknfluffy

Reaction score
I have decided to leave sg. It has turned into a forum for degrading, bullying & bitching! I have had some fantastic advice from a few individuals over the past months, and I thank each of them for that. However I for one am fed up of reading threads where people jump down each others throats, criticise and often "bully" people and their opinions. As my business takes off I realise I now need to do what is best for me, and getting myself worked up over petty comments etc is not part of that plan. That is all... Goodnight & god bless x

If opportunity doesn't knock - build a door!

There are a lot of positive, supportive people here but, like anywhere in real life, there are a few that try to spoil it for others. It's best to ignore that kind of behaviour. They dont rule the world and they are certainly not going to spoil my enjoyment of something, no matter how hard they try.

Sometimes it's harder to ignore and I know that I have these times too, when I'm tired, coming down with something or stressed. That signals to me that it's time to concentrate on myself and have a rest from it all.
You dont need to leave this forum. Maybe you just need a rest from it.

I'm near by, so feel free to shout if you need anything x

Hi
I too felt like this last year and even went to the lengths to ask to be removed which apparantly you can't be.
I was having threads I started, ended by some geeks for no valid reason other than they had access to it. That geek no longer on here now!

Anyway I stayed away for about a year then had a look randomly and soon started looking at threads again.
I know exactly what you mean so I tend to not read some threads, I find mainly the nail threads can get like this.

Have a break then possibly have a little look again, however like any Internet forum there are trolls and I think this forum is no different, it's identifying those trolls and just not replying or reading threads they are bullying on.

Big hugs xx

Unfortunately when people ask for opinions that's exactly what they get and many of them! ! If you were enjoying the site then it would be better to accept it as it is and don't lose out on a world of knowledge and believe me it is. Think about it before you make your decision x

Just like the real world some people piss us off! You would be better not to take it so personally and have a laugh at it! Some of these members are quite young and when your young you have much stronger opinions. Lets face get an extremist group who do they recruit?, youngsters! I actually don't have strong opinions as for me slagging tattoos it's banter, still don't like cheryl cole's new tramp stamps have you seen it? He whole bum and half her back is covered! :confused:

Sent from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app

I haven't been here for about a year and a half now. Just started slowly getting back to doing nails while on maternity leave . I had a few questions to ask but................I am not going to, I read few topics here and comments below them . They were Bully , sarcastic, harsh and not nice I must say :(( I am scared that older more experienced ladies will tell me off or will try to make me look like I am so not good enough to do nails. That they will start asking "are you sure you are professional , or just will put me down and knock down my confidence. Shame really as it meant to be friendly between members we all were starting our adventures and made lots off mistakes and bad choices but most important now is that we will support each other .

Do you think if the forum was professional only that might cut out some of the cruel comments?
On the other hand it must be awful for some people to see some of the comments on threads it looks like a cat fight on some threads not professional at all.
Don't really know what the answer is, I've seen some geeks ask for tolerance and raise the issue of cyber bullying whether its been intentional or not.

I've seen on google people warning others not to join this forum too "shark infested waters" or something of the sorts.

There are site rules and I'm aware the moderators have removed some offensive threads, posts and geeks and been suggestions on how to write and receive feedback in a constructive manner without offending.

Possibly we are all going through different things in our lives and no one can know that when we write or read. Our moods and worries can influence how we reply and how we interpret replies.

I've seen some apologise if what they've said has been taken the wrong way and explained and I've seen others ignore and carry on being rude. Different people different strokes.

Just stay away from the main offenders threads and comments, don't leave! Stay and rise above it they will become outnumbered!

Cutting off your nose to spite your face rarely works ,
If you find someone's post or PMs truly read like bullying then report them to the mods , that's partly what they are there for ,

This site is a valuable source of information , ideas , industry news , events , advice , support and more . It is also far more upto date and relevant than A lot of industry magazines that can be months behind with going to print .
Or shows that are months apart .
Best of all salon geek is available to all for free! Even though the best people DO PAY for there subscription (i'll be renewing mine soon )

Do you honestly want to sacrifice all of that just because some people's passion and words rub you up the wrong way?

<3 love is like the magic penny .

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek

I am new to this site so I have limited insight but so far I'm really enjoying reading threads about this industry.

I believe these types of forums, just like texts/emails can cause misunderstandings because you can't type words with tone/body language attached - so points of view can come across harsh/bitchy when it is not meant. However, if people are awful then ignore them and don't take their comments on board. No not miss out because of others :cry:

As others have said, I guess these sites reflect real life - some people are respectful and balanced but some are not!

Hugs and do what you feel is best for you but take some time to reflect on these comments :hug:

I have decided to leave sg. It has turned into a forum for degrading, bullying & bitching! I have had some fantastic advice from a few individuals over the past months, and I thank each of them for that. However I for one am fed up of reading threads where people jump down each others throats, criticise and often "bully" people and their opinions. As my business takes off I realise I now need to do what is best for me, and getting myself worked up over petty comments etc is not part of that plan. That is all... Goodnight & god bless x

please don't leave babes, have "befriended you" xxx

Last edited by a moderator:
I too sometimes find the threads are a bit bitchy. I'm new to salon geek but to be honest I've been hairdressing a long time and have had far worse happen in reality than on here.
You can't get too offended by what people say on here because they are only being brave because they can't see you face to face. Although every time you post on any social network, you do take the chance that you won't like someone's reply. Fashion and beauty industries are very passionate occupations and sometimes that passion can come across as anger.

Written text can be miss understood and written badly. You don't know if some one is joking cause you can't see there face,

Awww Hun, its a shame you feel the way you do, I think the main offenders were dealt with and are continuing to be dealt with as new ones pop up(cant comment on the nail side as I'm more hair) but the mods are doing all they can to keep this site fair and constructive and its up to us to point the thorns out among the roses.

Im not sure if i have ever come under this so called 'bully' tag line but its usually thrown around when someone asks a question and are told out right not to do what they are suggesting or someone advises them incorrectly and this person doesn't know how to accept being wrong so tries arguing a proved to be irrelevant point :(

I always try to stay passive and agree with who's right irrelevant as to who is (so called bully or non so called bully) , but honestly through all the posts i have participated in i have only seen one case that could fall under the bullying category when whenever they posted anything they were shot down by 1 individual and a few others jumped in to join in on the fun, said individual was able to stand on their own two feet though... But all in question are no longer on this site.

I've kept saying 'so called bullying' as im not sure how Many of us have been bullied in real life, but i was all through secondary school (mental not physical) and knowing the true meaning of being bullied, some of the things said on this site just don't compare.

Last edited:
I see I got a yellow card for my last comment or perhaps another thread not sure, don't see what I said wrong. I am actually quite happy to receive this forums red card, the censorship is worse than China! So all that's left is for people to chat about their benefits and tattoos and how outraged you were that someone did not like their nails or hair extensions, it is mind numbing if we stick to that. Sorry salon geek but you need to realise that others do have a opinion and just because others feel outraged does not make theirs right. People's opinion should be valued, otherwise this forum will turn into the Jeremy Kyle of forums where people go off in strops when they don't like what you have to say, there I await my red card. Shock horror gasp offensive taken!!! And Strop!

I would love a bit of Harmony too :)

I like to think I treat people the way I would like to be treated, but I am only human and I get a bit exasperated at times and post without my usual checks.....once for typos, twice for tone, and thrice, well, just because ;)

This is a community, and as in life we will love some people, like a lot of people, and want to avoid a few! But on a Forum we do only get a one dimensional picture of someone which can be unfair and misleading, and I do think more tolerance is required, and dare I say it a thicker skin!

I include myself in that but I have the advantage of having met some of our more illustrious geeks and know they are a lot warmer and funnier in real life, and I can still learn a lot from them.
It is easy to read negativity in things, and I do sometimes wonder if some of the people that jump in with accusations of alleged rudeness have actually read the whole thread and it seems to me they are being more judgemental than the person they are accusing!

Can I just ask people to not jump in to a situation with all guns blazing, but step back and read the whole thread, and if they still feel aggrieved then report and let the Mods discuss it.

That may not even make some people happy as within the last week I have had replies to my PMs ranging from..Thanks, I didn't realise...to....there is a life out there you know, behind food and the internet, chin up you may find it one day or you could choose to get the hell out more.

If anyone feels like leaving this week it's me :irked: but if I did I wouldn't start a thread about it...I would just not log back in, simples!

I really don't think these kind of threads serve any purpose other than to stir things up, sorry but I have seen it happen time and time again, I hope you prove me wrong and this thread doesn't end up being closed ;)

I see I got a yellow card for my last comment or perhaps another thread not sure, don't see what I said wrong. I am actually quite happy to receive this forums red card, the censorship is worse than China! So all that's left is for people to chat about their benefits and tattoos and how outraged you were that someone did not like their nails or hair extensions, it is mind numbing if we stick to that. Sorry salon geek but you need to realise that others do have a opinion and just because others feel outraged does not make theirs right. People's opinion should be valued, otherwise this forum will turn into the Jeremy Kyle of forums where people go off in strops when they don't like what you have to say, there I await my red card. Shock horror gasp offensive taken!!! And Strop!
Your last post was deleted as it insulted your fellow members, I am sure if everyone had seen it no one would be hearting this one ;)
We do like debate on here, but not when people are only posting views in order to get a reaction. It is rare we have threads about the topics you mention, but when we do they are the only ones you want to participate in. That says more about you than this site. I think you do need a break from this site and a red card will officially do that.

Any forum will get trolls, and occasionally bullies. It's a sad fact.
However
Disagreeing with you is not bullying you, nor is it being rude, or disrespectful. It's simply having a different point of view.

We are lucky that this forum has the full range of participants from trainees to salon owners, and therefore EVERY perspective is represented.
If only trainees were on here, giving each other high fives for shoddy work, well, you wouldn't get very far in the real world. Likewise, if it was purely salon owners bitching about their staff worries without being able to read the other perspective, then we may as well just have an 'owners' geek.

Posting a thread about wanting to leave is extremely passive aggressive. I know we're all meant to say "don't go" but quite frankly, I don't believe a forum as large as this can pander to one person's desire to be treated with special kid gloves. Either join in, or don't.

You will experience nasty,bitchy,rude people all through out your life so here is no different.Just do what you would normally do and either ignore it or tell um where to go it's quite simple.

I have experienced many rude,nasty trolls on here and they have all burned there toes and are not here.There are a couple that still remain but it won't be long I'm sure.As soon as you get rid more will come as soon as you get rid of the trouble makers more will come that's life.

On the other hand text is very hard to decipher on here as something that has no tone can come across as having tone and we as human beings can sometimes take offence.Also I like straight talkers who say it how it is but constructivly and will give you reason as to why they are saying what they have said (THE FACTS).

I can't help but thing you are as another geek has said cutting your nose off to spite your face and no one will miss out apart from you.

As you can see with this post it is very nearly getting to the point of confrontation because as sad as it is these threads are a breeding ground for a troll who likes to turn it around to them.

I'm not going to tell younnot to leave ur a big girl but you will miss out (trust me).

I suppose my question would be if you feel so strongly about leaving why do you feel the need to post this final, inflammatory post. I went in to your profile and had a look through your posts and I can honestly, hand on heart 100% not see any incident where you are "bullied". I can see people with different opinions to you who are expressing them passionately but I cant see anyone calling you names or belittling you in any way whatsoever.
What you need to realise is that if you have a passionate belief in something then there is a high possibility that someone else is going to be just as impassioned about it in a negative way. That is their right.
Speaking from my own experiences being called a "bully" is often the last resort of someone losing a debate. I have been on the recieving end of this, usually because I am able to argue my point more articulativly then them. It is a low blow and in my opinion calling someone a bully on a public forum is far more damaging then your feeling put out that someone has a different opinion to you.
If you want to leave then leave. But do not insinuate that it is because you are being bullied when everyone can read your past posts and see that in reality its you taking personal offence at someone feeling passionately about something. Why do some people feel that its only their opinion that has the right to be heared?

Sorry if this has ofended anyone but this is something I feel very very passionately about and since with dont live in a police state, I have the right to express this in a way which doesnt defamate/personally hurt anyone else xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

In the Ops defence, she does not actually say she personally has been victim of anything, just that she feels it is happening here.

This I feel is, in my opinion, what causes more problems.
If the person with the opposing point of view doesn't mind someone correcting them or disagreeing....why oh why do so many people jump in taking offence on their behalf? Causing a problem that didn't actually exist!

Also Nearlyme, thank you as your post has yet again stressed my point about the need for people to read threads thoroughly before posting :)

Someone pm'd me recently and called me a troll!! Just because I'd expressed an opinion they didn't like (it wasn't even bad!!)

Am I gonna get in a tantrum and storm off though? No I bloody well am not I will just ignore that member and she won't get the experience of my wonderful and witty replies ;) lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back