No oil lots of spots!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bexi

Reaction score
I have been a skin geek for a while and like to think i know quite a bit about other peoples skin - however wot do i know about my own skin - nothing!!! lol - anyway my skin is having serious issues. When i was 15 i had quite bad acne but i got prescribed medication and it cleared up with minimal scarring however now (i'm 21) it has flared up again but its not oily - i get no shine whatsoever and it doesnt feel greasy. im so confused? i need a really thick moisturiser because its so dehydrated and if i use something oil free my skin drinks it and it feels really tight- any advice?!
becki xxx:cry:

i dunno hun but my skin is a total wreck at the mo....i do know that when i am good and drink lots and lots of water it gets better...but water is so borin.

to be honest...(i'll get screamed at here)...i have messed about with my skin so much recently by trying lots of new things that i am giving it a rest and going back to basics...mid baby soap and water for me...and you know what..its clearing up.

i swear that sometimes all these products just make it worse......did cavemen have bad skin...??..:lol: x

My son suffers from acne (teenager), my beauty therapist suggested that he used plenty of moisturiser and it's helped his skin a lot, it's not nearly as bad as it used to be... using the moisturiser makes the skin think it's producing enough oils and it stops producing as much, kind of like it's lying to itself (if you know what I mean lol)

My son suffers from acne (teenager), my beauty therapist suggested that he used plenty of moisturiser and it's helped his skin a lot, it's not nearly as bad as it used to be... using the moisturiser makes the skin think it's producing enough oils and it stops producing as much, kind of like it's lying to itself (if you know what I mean lol)

i was told this too....many people with spots skip moisturiser cos they think it'll make it worse...but then the skin feels it needs to produce more oil to compensate and so makes the problem worse...its just about getting the right moisturiser.

Moisturizing isn't going to anything if you aren't exfoliating. People with oily skin, often don't realize their skin is oily, they think it's dry, so they just keep loading on the moisurizer, when in fact, they are missing one important step.... exfoliating. If you don't exfoliate the dead skin cells that are sitting on the surface of the skin, your moisturizer isn't reaching the good skin,it's just moisturizing the dead stuff.

I have been a skin geek for a while and like to think i know quite a bit about other peoples skin - however wot do i know about my own skin - nothing!!! lol - anyway my skin is having serious issues. When i was 15 i had quite bad acne but i got prescribed medication and it cleared up with minimal scarring however now (i'm 21) it has flared up again but its not oily - i get no shine whatsoever and it doesnt feel greasy. im so confused? i need a really thick moisturiser because its so dehydrated and if i use something oil free my skin drinks it and it feels really tight- any advice?!
Is your skin genuinally dry, or is it dehydrated. Even if your skin is dry, maybe it's still prone to congestion. I'd look at using products that are lighter but still very nourishing, maybe serum or jojoba based. And as already said make sure you exfolliate.

Im with huberella!!
I see so many people who go round in circles with their skin!! you can have the best moisturiser in the world but it cant do its job if it has to get through a barrier of dead crap; if anything it will make it worse! this is because the pores then get blocked and the oil being secreted can not go anywhere so they stick to the dead skin like glue and block it all, which causes blackheads etc, unfortunatly people then use a really harsh, eye watering, face wash dehydrating the skin which then send the sebum glands in to overdrive creating more oil to rehydrate and to protect.
i think its imperative to have a fab exfoliator and build from there to get the best out of any product!!

When i was 15 i had quite bad acne but i got prescribed medication and it cleared up with minimal scarring however now (i'm 21) it has flared up again but its not oily - i get no shine whatsoever and it doesnt feel greasy. im so confused? i need a really thick moisturiser because its so dehydrated and if i use something oil free my skin drinks it and it feels really tight- any advice?!
Hi Becki, Are the spots like your teenage acne spots (ie pustules) or are they just raised red lumps? A few of my clients who were treated for teenage acne have developed Acne Rosacea as they've grown older. If your skin is presenting like this then continue to use a good moisturiser, but make sure all your products are suitable for sensitive skin, and make sure you use a gentle spf specifically for the face. (Yes, use an exfoliator, but go for a gentle one. A mild aha peel may be better than a granular peel.) Rosacea is probably one of the most sensitive skin contidions around.
Rosacea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hi Bexi

Have you been to see a beauty therapist for them to have a look at your skin? They can then recommend the best coarse of action. Germaine de Capuccini as I am sure that many other ranges do have products that are designed to help problematic skin as you discribed.

I also agree that exfoliation with the correct product and a moisturising for your skin type is a must.

Hi Bexi

Have you been to see a beauty therapist for them to have a look at your skin? They can then recommend the best coarse of action. Germaine de Capuccini as I am sure that many other ranges do have products that are designed to help problematic skin as you discribed.

I also agree that exfoliation with the correct product and a moisturising for your skin type is a must.

I to think you should go and see a beauty therapist.

That way they can actually look at your skin and prescribe the best products.

What is your skincare routine ? Do you cleanse & tone ? Do you use a facewash or cleanser ?

LOL i am a beauty therapist!!!!

I have a cleanse tone exfoliate mask moisturise routine! i use an enzyme peel 1/2 a week and masks 2/3 a week. i double cleanse and use an oil free moisturiser.

The spots are red bumbs only occasinally white heads - the main concern is the swellin around them and the heat!!!

It just confuses me because it feels like my skin goes against everything I have learnt. It definatly has an oily centre panal but no where near as oily as it used to be - as i said no shine only outbreaks. They have now appeared at the sides of my face and on my forehead.

Obviusly I know that getting more stressed will worsen the problem but its so difficult wen its on your face.

I went to the doctor and they gave me this really strong gel which makes my skin flake and feel even dryer than it does already.

Thanks for all your help I'm still at a loss how to control these damn things they'll need names soon!

I have a cleanse tone exfoliate mask moisturise routine! i use an enzyme peel 1/2 a week and masks 2/3 a week. i double cleanse and use an oil free moisturiser.

The spots are red bumbs only occasinally white heads - the main concern is the swellin around them and the heat!!!

It just confuses me because it feels like my skin goes against everything I have learnt. It definatly has an oily centre panal but no where near as oily as it used to be - as i said no shine only outbreaks. They have now appeared at the sides of my face and on my forehead.

Obviusly I know that getting more stressed will worsen the problem but its so difficult wen its on your face.

I went to the doctor and they gave me this really strong gel which makes my skin flake and feel even dryer than it does already.

Thanks for all your help I'm still at a loss how to control these damn things they'll need names soon!

that will teach me to look at your profile properly :o

What skin care range are you using? Germaine do a range called Pure T that have products for oily skin and also separate products for skin with spots and imperfections (not necessarily oily) - try and give them a ring to see if there are any therapists in your area. tel: 0845 600 0203. or 01784 259988. I have not yet tried all the Pure T range to know how successfull it is but I know it has a very good reputation.

see the attached too : Skin Care Products UK, Beauty Products, UK Skin Care Products, Cosmetic Skin Products, UK

Can you remember which medication you had in your teens ? I was prescribed roaccutene when I was 18 and although it cleared up my acne (similar sounding to yours, spots like boils in chin area could last up to a month :eek::eek:) I sometimes have a breakout, the worst being when I came off the pill, I only lasted 2 weeks and went straight back on it again !!!!

it wasnt roaccutane, i refused to go on that. i have tried various gels and creams and am also on the pill for my skin!!

I use dermalogica, but feel i need to step up to their anti bac etc, i'm just worried that im not that oily but will give anything ago.

i'm also in a catch 22 cos i know my makeup makes hem worse but mineral makeup is not giving me the confidence i need - it gives a lovely finish but not enough to cover my skin.

becki xxx

I use dermalogica, but feel i need to step up to their anti bac etc, i'm just worried that im not that oily but will give anything ago.
Hun, that sound just like acne rosacea as I said earlier. Stepping up to Antibac wash will not help, (it may in fact make things worse). You need to treat this as the most sensitive skin type possible.
See my link from an earlier post. :idea:
You need to see a Dermatologist to get a proper diagnosis, your GP can refer you. Hope this helps.:hug:

I don't think anti-bac is the answer. I had a problem skin for years and the only thing that has done any good is P8N8

P8N8 - Simply Amazing Skincare

I could not live without their Complex 1 Multi Fruit Moisturiser, and for speed the Foaming Cleanser but I also love their Deep Pore Cleanser.

thank you all so much for your help - will let you know how it all goes xxx

Latest posts

Back