No sculpting allowed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoJoPearce

Reaction score
Start in the tanning salon on Saturday and spoke to one of the owners today, who advised that she didn't want me to sculpt nails but only tip them for clients.

When I asked why? She said "they prefer the look". Well, what can you say to that?

Feel alittle deflated as I felt it was a little knock to how I work. The other owner's friend is a nail tech who only tips and they want me to copy what she produces, as she has moved to a salon out of town and they hope to get her old clients.

Hey ho, better get some blending practice in as it's been ages.

good luck for saturday!:hug:
my sculpts look no different from my tips (IMO:eek: :lol: ) , my clients cant tell , I am sure your nails are fab so dont worry , enjoy the buzz of the salon xx xx

Thanks, I dont think my sculpts look any different either.

i dont notice much difference really, tho all my clients have said they prefer the sculpts.

maybe ask if you can do an example set for them of sculpts and then ask why again! maybe they only ever seen a really bad sculpt example?!?

Start in the tanning salon on Saturday and spoke to one of the owners today, who advised that she didn't want me to sculpt nails but only tip them for clients.

When I asked why? She said "they prefer the look". Well, what can you say to that?

Feel alittle deflated as I felt it was a little knock to how I work. The other owner's friend is a nail tech who only tips and they want me to copy what she produces, as she has moved to a salon out of town and they hope to get her old clients.

Hey ho, better get some blending practice in as it's been ages.

Forget that hun.....your the technician, you do whats right for the client not what the owner dictates. Take full control of your clients through your consultation, ask them what they like about their nails, what they dislike. Give them your expert opinion and suggestions. If you are working together with your client then they will get what they want and you can do what you do best. The owner will soon come round to your way of working when the clients are singing your praises. Change is a big thing for some people and they'd rather stick to what they know best to feel safe and not step out of their comfort zone. Good Luck
David

Forget that hun.....your the technician, you do whats right for the client not what the owner dictates. Take full control of your clients through your consultation, ask them what they like about their nails, what they dislike. Give them your expert opinion and suggestions. If you are working together with your client then they will get what they want and you can do what you do best. The owner will soon come round to your way of working when the clients are singing your praises. Change is a big thing for some people and they'd rather stick to what they know best to feel safe and not step out of their comfort zone. Good Luck
David

Cheers David,

I think that is it, they simply only know one way. When I did my test set, which were sculpted, they had never seen this way of working before.

Cheers David,

I think that is it, they simply only know one way. When I did my test set, which were sculpted, they had never seen this way of working before.

You know what I would do? Sculpt on one of my hands, and tip on the other and then go to her and ask which is which. If she can't tell the difference then she has no argument. End of!! :hug:

Maybe they want you to do it this way because the previous tech only did white tip & overlay? Maybe the owner (who I assume knows nothing about nails & what a great set of p&w scutpts looks like) - dosent realise there is another way to skin a cat??!!

David
Agreed.

When I worked in a salon, I was told the same thing in a round about fashion. "We prefer it if you tip............." mmmmmmmm.

Only to find out later that I was the only one who could sculpt! :eek:
Now what does that tell you?

hi jo!
i know u can sculpt!
this comes up regularly usually because of ignorance of decent training in sculpting.
i taught u diferent!
keep ur confidence up, dont rock the boat unecessarily in your 1st week, but im sure if you gradually change them over, it wont b commented on in a negative way.
david has a point when he says u should b making your own decisions regarding whats best for the clients, but a bit of clever diplomacy will prob b easier on u!
if neces.,tell them who trained u and mention my 4 comp wins in the last 6 months:eek: (only joking, i was giving u the diplomatic approach, wasnt i!)
take ur time, do a gd job & im sure u will do great
x

I would go with the flow for a while...then gradually start to include sculpting into your work...you could start with the odd repair.

After a while i am sure they will be fine and once they start to get positive feedback (and there is nothing wrong in asking for feedback from clients)...then what else can they do but applaud you.

I think its a bit rich to say they don't like this look...when its the clients who will be wearing them...and no...i cant see any difference in tips and sculpts either....but i do think they feel more "mine"...IYKWIM. x

i think my sculpts look way better than tips.
...all i do is sculpts.

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

hi jo!
i know u can sculpt!
this comes up regularly usually because of ignorance of decent training in sculpting.
i taught u diferent!
keep ur confidence up, dont rock the boat unecessarily in your 1st week, but im sure if you gradually change them over, it wont b commented on in a negative way.
david has a point when he says u should b making your own decisions regarding whats best for the clients, but a bit of clever diplomacy will prob b easier on u!
if neces.,tell them who trained u and mention my 4 comp wins in the last 6 months:eek: (only joking, i was giving u the diplomatic approach, wasnt i!)
take ur time, do a gd job & im sure u will do great
x

Thanks Liza,

I will be going with the flow for a while. To be honest, I'm not really the sort to rock the boat, but will introduce gradually with repairs, like bagpuss has said.

Dont worry, I'm sure I'll name drop you and your successes at some point.

Thanks all for your support.

JoJo are you renting space there or working as an employee?

Like others have said ... prove her wrong!!:lol:

Her attitude really annoys me .. it's like going to the doctor and telling him what treatment you need when he is the expert!!

The owner may be concerned that your white will yellow in the tanning beds. Common occurance. If you are using gel, try Akzentz buider white. It won't yellow, nor will the paint-on. If you're using acrylic, perhaps this board can offer suggestions for an appropriate white. Take Care,

I'd be tempted to sculpt one nail and see what the client prefers. They've probably never seen sculpts before if the last tech only tipped. Maybe she said they don't look as good cos she couldn't do them. Just a thought.....

JoJo are you renting space there or working as an employee?

Like others have said ... prove her wrong!!:lol:

Her attitude really annoys me .. it's like going to the doctor and telling him what treatment you need when he is the expert!!

Percentage split gigi then when it picks up I'll rent on a daily basis.

It did annoy me, but I will show them there are other ways to do things.

Latest posts

Back