Now a changed woman!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sher16

Reaction score
Sorry all but I just have to post as I am so so so ecstatic with myself. I have been a nail biter since I was old enough to remember, tried everything - been having my nails done since I was 15 and as soon as im without an enhancement i bite them again. About 2 months ago i decided enough was enough I have constantly had enhancements on, anytime i break one its been replaced that day, that hour if poss and last week i removed them. I had about 3-4mm of nice white healthy nail and almost what id class as long pink nail beds!!!! I put shellac on....hoping I'd not bite.

And i havent! They are so lovely and I am just so proud.

I probably sound like an idiot but I am probably the most terrible advert for a nail tech as i constantly have enhancements, wouldnt dream of doing a clients nails without mine being lovely- theyd sit and panic if they seen mine before, so I am just over the moon with myself. Its only taken me god knows how many years.

Once they get lovely and strong ill post a pic. Just wish id taken a before one!!!!!!!!!

Well done!!!!

My sis chews the skin around her nails, they look awful and infected, since I have been putting Gelish on her once a month she no longer does this because she wants them looking great all the time now!

x

Well done you :) x

did the same with my nails 2 years ago when I first sstarted to test Shellac!!! Yay me and you!!! I have never picked or bitten my nails since. The only time I am tempted is when I am NOT wearing Shellac. My nails are really quite srrong and flexible. Who KnEW??? After 25 years of wearing CND L&P enhancements ......... certainly I never thought it would be possible to have my own long (ish) nails.

A word of warning though :hug: :hug:........ DO NOT PUSH IT. You can be tempted to grow them too long and then you WILL break them or they will bend under the strain and then you will be very angry with yourself. I know ... I have done it (more than once). There comes a point beyond which you should not go!! lol

Well done!!!!

My sis chews the skin around her nails, they look awful and infected, since I have been putting Gelish on her once a month she no longer does this because she wants them looking great all the time now!

x

Good on her, tell her to keep going, soon she will have beautiful long nails and you can do her a lovely gelish sparkly french mani! Thats what I am looking fwd to most - a shellac french mani with a wee bit of zillionaire ontop - beauty!!!

I keep tapping my longest one on the desk and get so giddy, it's honestly ridiculously sad!

It is lovely knowing in a few weeks I'll be able to just do overlay, shellac, nail art, rockstar all on natural nails without sculpting or sticking tips on.

Now I will also be able to tell off my clients for nail biting without feeling like such a bad person (i never used to let on i was a nail biter, but when they say it's so hard now I can say with honesty, yes but not impossible!!!!)

YAAAAY! :)

did the same with my nails 2 years ago when I first sstarted to test Shellac!!! Yay me and you!!! I have never picked or bitten my nails since. The only time I am tempted is when I am NOT wearing Shellac. My nails are really quite srrong and flexible. Who KnEW??? After 25 years of wearing CND L&P enhancements ......... certainly I never thought it would be possible to have my own long (ish) nails.

A word of warning though :hug: :hug:........ DO NOT PUSH IT. You can be tempted to grow them too long and then you WILL break them or they will bend under the strain and then you will be very angry with yourself. I know ... I have done it (more than once). There comes a point beyond which you should not go!! lol

Ahhhh well done Gigi!

I am going to keep shellac on constantly, have a lovely little gotcha with moonlight and roses over and its really subtle and pretty. I'll probably still have enhancements for special occasions as I love a really nice set of enhancements but I am just so excited that I wont have to infill my nails every two weeks, instead just redo my shellac (half the time!!)

Yeah, I have heard about this. Think i'll let them grow about 1mm off the end of my finger and thats it. I think it might take a while for my nailbeds to grow longer anyway so i am best not letting them get too long. Shellac looks gorge on nice manicured nails anyway so no need to push it I think!!!

I'm such a happy bunny right now :) x x

Good on her, tell her to keep going, soon she will have beautiful long nails and you can do her a lovely gelish sparkly french mani! Thats what I am looking fwd to most - a shellac french mani with a wee bit of zillionaire ontop - beauty!!!

I keep tapping my longest one on the desk and get so giddy, it's honestly ridiculously sad!

It is lovely knowing in a few weeks I'll be able to just do overlay, shellac, nail art, rockstar all on natural nails without sculpting or sticking tips on.

Now I will also be able to tell off my clients for nail biting without feeling like such a bad person (i never used to let on i was a nail biter, but when they say it's so hard now I can say with honesty, yes but not impossible!!!!)

YAAAAY! :)
And with Shellac, you will not have to buff your nails on the surface ... not even the slightest bit, which will keep them strong and flexible instead of weakened and dehydrated. Brill.

Yep that happened to me! Im not a biter but have always had weak, peeling nails, they are now all growing nicely so I just keep on letting them grow to see how long they will get and one goes and breaks cos too long, gutted, gonna keep them a manageable length from now on :irked:

Totally agree. I used to regularly let my nails grow too long and then they bend too far at the stress point and break really low down...ouch!!

If you have a lovely (Shellac) colour on and/or a nice bit of nail art your nails don't need to be much past the end of your finger tip to look great.

BTW...well done for calling a halt to the cannibalism ladies...:lol:

Yep that happened to me! Im not a biter but have always had weak, peeling nails, they are now all growing nicely so I just keep on letting them grow to see how long they will get and one goes and breaks cos too long, gutted, gonna keep them a manageable length from now on :irked:

That really is the best course of action. And you know what ?? LONG talons are so OUT ... so much nicer to see well groomed natural and pretty-length-nails beautifully painted. My husband thinks so anyway ... he says they look feminin and pretty instead of agressive and scarey!! lol He is always remarking on my nails now and complimenting me on how nice they look ... I don't think he ever really liked French enhancements .. many men do not. If he's happy I'm happy too. :hug:

Last edited:
Well done!! I'm an ex nail biter myself (tried all sorts over the years) and I really do find that painting my nails or wearing Shellac helps - particularly Shellac as it keeps my nails a bit stronger than just polish - as I want to keep my nails looking nice.

That really is the best course of action. And you know what ?? LONG talons are so OUT ... so much nicer to see well groomed natural and pretty-length-nails beautifully painted. My husband thinks so anyway ... he says they look feminin and pretty instead of agressive and scarey!! lol He is always remarking on my nails now and complimenting me on how nice they look ... I don't think he ever really liked French enhancements .. many men do not. If he's happy I'm happy too. :hug:

Ah what a lovely hubby you have, my hubby always comments on mine too (maybe cos I constantly shove them under his nose cos so proud they can actually now grow!) but when I ask my clients if their hubby liked the colour of their nails, loads of them say he didnt even notice!!

Ah what a lovely hubby you have, my hubby always comments on mine too (maybe cos I constantly shove them under his nose cos so proud they can actually now grow!) but when I ask my clients if their hubby liked the colour of their nails, loads of them say he didnt even notice!!

Sounds pretty normal ... send 'em home with Glittzy lips ... they won't say they don't notice that!! :green:

My husband would have a heart attack if I walked in with Glitzy lips lol I think I might look rather good with them :lol:. Think I'll leave that one for the young ones though. :lol:

Last edited:
Sounds pretty normal ... send 'em home with Glitzt lips ... they won't say they don't notice that!! :green:

My husband would have a heart attack if I walked in with Glitzy lips lol I think I might look rather good with them :lol:. Think I'll leave that one for the young ones though. :lol:

Ha Ha! Go for it! :)

Sounds pretty normal ... send 'em home with Glitzt lips ... they won't say they don't notice that!! :green:

I also think you should try! I reckon the rose one looks great an not too OTT!

Im not gonna let em get any further than a tiny bit past my fingertip. I cant wait! Might paint every nail a diff colour of shellac just because i can...instead of shellac over an enhancement!!!

:) ill shut up now !!!!

I am a reformed (ish) biter too :) Since wearing Shellac and Solar oil the past few weeks my nails are amazing. My thumb nail has NEVER EVER grown, and today it has the teeniest tiniest bit of free edge appearing, I'm ecstatic!! :D I took before pics, if I knew how I could post them to show you I would, my nails are amazing now, even my husband can't believe it. I have had my Shellac off the past few days as I haven't had time to re-do it but I MUST tomorrow because I have started to pick again already. But yay for us all!!!!! :) Well done xx

I am a reformed (ish) biter too :) Since wearing Shellac and Solar oil the past few weeks my nails are amazing. My thumb nail has NEVER EVER grown, and today it has the teeniest tiniest bit of free edge appearing, I'm ecstatic!! :D I took before pics, if I knew how I could post them to show you I would, my nails are amazing now, even my husband can't believe it. I have had my Shellac off the past few days as I haven't had time to re-do it but I MUST tomorrow because I have started to pick again already. But yay for us all!!!!! :) Well done xx

If you go to Forums - Site Assistance - How to do stuff, you will find out how to post a pic :)

I work in a kitchen part time so my hands are constantly in water. Shellac n lashings of solar oil and a sensible length have transformed my nails. Even my mum can't believe I don't bite and pick them anymore and shellac really does protect them. The only thing that pees me off is that my clients all have stunning colours and I have to stick to clearly pink all the time. Not that I don't love clearly pink but I so want wildfire. Oh well roll on Christmas school holidays lol!!

Well done, My little niece who is only 3 has started. So i have told her if she is good and lets them grow i will put a nice pink colour on them. Hopefully this works as she really wants pink nail varnish.

Im a reformed nail biter too, I have been using shellac for nearly 2 years and have lovely long nails. There is some before and after pictures in my albums. I have bitten mhy nails for 33 years and since shellac I dont want to bite, they look too nice for that although I still have my nails in my mouth all the time, this will never go. Ax

Latest posts

Back