"nutraceuticals" and card payments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynne Baker

Lynne The Skin!
Reaction score
I'm just about to start distributing a certain range of skincare products for the south of England and need to get a card payment system arranged for "cardholder not present". I decided to contact my existing card payment people (I shan't mention which one), and have just had a very odd conversation with a young girlie who has decided that because skin care products now come under the heading of "nutraceuticals" she's not at all sure that they will be able to provide a payment system as it will affect their reputation. They now have a compliance policy and this will fall foul of it!

She said that I cannot make claims about products being anti ageing, or anti wrinkle because "well, I don't believe they work".
How the hell did it come to this? How on earth do all the online companies out there selling creams, etc manage?!

I'm bloody furious. What the heck do they know about skincare?!
Has anyone else come up against this? Any ideas on what to say to them when they come back to me tomorrow? The ruder the better, frankly!

Hi Lynn,
Should it be any of their Business what you are selling? I don't have a card machine but am quite disturbed to think that it has anything to do with them, I would have thought as long as they are getting your commision it wouldnt matter! shall be interested to see the result of this as you cartainly dont strike me as someone to not put up a good argument! kx

Complete rubbish! Every devil and his dog sells anti ageing skincare! They gonna get sniffy with Boots/ Department stores/ supermarkets/ salons/ spa's et al?

There is huge competition in card payment services, and lots of companies would be delighted to assist you.

Lynne,
Its none of her business what you sell (As long as its not drugs or firearms! lol)They are getting their comission , end of. If they are not interested, I would ask to speak to someone higher up on the food chain or take your business elsewhere.
Exciting times for you, is this range what I think it is?

oh my lord, i really think you need to either speak to someone in charge or tell them to jog on........... so does that mean reebok cant sell those trainers that claim to give you a great ass via credit card????? what a load of disturbing tosh and codswallop.

Lynne I have been looking around at card machines, and have been asked the following question by all but one
"does the skin care line you sell make claims to be anti-aging"

I couldnt work it out either!

I wonder if this has anything to do with chargebacks? I recently had a chat with my machine provider about the situation in which a customer could claim a chargeback when buying from me in the salon and one of the reasons could be that the product or service was not satisfactory - ie not performing as advertised. The advisor also said that they couldnt guarantee any customer not present transaction as the customer hadnt physically entered their pin number and it would be more likely to be a fraudulent transaction. Basically any transaction taken in the salon or remotely can be challenged by the customer for up to 6 months after the transaction date for a chargeback if they decide they aren't happy with the purchase. The whole conversation left me feeling potentially very vulnerable as a stockist!

Strange, just an idea but why not ask your suppliers who's machine they use.:hug: from what I can see nutraceuticals are nutritional suppliments!

Yep, I asked them who they use and it's the same company I use! I spoke with a chum this morning who told me she's just been through the same rigmarole with the same company, even though she's a long standing customer. Cherish is absolutely on the money with this; it's down to someone suing the card company because of unsubstantiated claims. Coming to a card issuer near you!

Latest posts

Back