Cancellation fee - I finally did it!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynne Baker

Lynne The Skin!
Reaction score
There have been sooooo many threads about what to do about no shows etc, haven't there!

Some of you will know that I have a distribution business too and it's got verrrr busy lately because I've just taken on two new brands. I will have no option but to drop my salon days down a bit to get everything else up and running.

I was working on my webshop yesterday in between salon clients, whilst waiting for a new client to come. As it was a new client I had said when he booked that I would need to take card details to secure the booking and that there was a cancellation policy in place. He was fine about that.

Sure enough he didn't show. I rang him and he'd completely forgotten. I took a deep breath and said that I would have to charge him for the wasted appointment and he was happy with that, and he rebooked.
I took the payment there and then with no problems, and went back to my webshop work.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is not to be scared about doing it.
I'm such a bloody hypocrite though, cos in over 4 years of self employment it's the very first time I've actually had the cojones to go through with it, and guess what - the earth still spins, the client rebooked and I didn't implode into a slimy mess on the kitchen floor!

I'd be very interested to hear if others have actually gone through with it and what happened afterwards.
:)

Good for you! Yes I have done it because I get angry wasting time I cannot use for another client. In fact I asked for a payment just yesterday in advance from a client who has cancelled her last 2 appts just an hour before she was meant to turn up and she agreed! No the earth didn't stop spinning! If they do not agree then they are not a reliable client anyhow.

I read many posts on here and although I understand how difficult it may be to ask it does get better. I also think some clients expect it and do feel awful if they don't pay up. My biggest bugbear is threads from mobile therapists - there are portable terminals now or apps for phones that taking deposits before and at the treatment can be handled effectively. Moaning about this is easily solved.

Good for you Lynne !
I also charged someone the other day, my client 2 weeks ago forgot her appointment in the morning, I had a gap in the afternoon so said she could fill that appointment, I then turned away someone who was desperate for a massage, and guess what the 1st client called and left a message at the appointment time to say she had a headache !!! Grrr I was so cross, but re arranged her appointment for the following week, I thought long and hard and finally plucked up courage to charge her double for the appointment and explained that I simply could not afford to waste appointments.
She paid no problem and re booked, she is now on my list of clients to call and remind.
At the end of the day we have bills to pay and if it was a dental appt they would be charged without question.

JoJo x

Good on yer !
This is the only way we will move forward by educating our clients ! I bet most of these clients won't make the costly mistake again and tell their friends and family who to will think twice ! Emagine our industry in a few years time more professional :) less no shows more money !

Good for you, I amine of those scaredy cats and never do, but I do think if you value yourself then others value you. I think that must be where I am going wrong lol mind my husband take me for granted too lol. Note to myself be stronger lol xxx

i need to do this. i had a client who forgot on saturday her 2 hour appt. i had turned away another client. she kmew i was cross. she is coming in this saturday so shall i add a charge and explain what it is? risk it or not!!

I guess it depends on how much you need this client, and what you think her reaction might be. I think I'd be inclined to say to her that as she missed her appointment she is financially responsible for it and that's the reason for the extra charge. Do you have a cancellation policy in place? I've taken to adding mine to all email bookings, just so they know...
I've added a pdf and word document of my cancellation policy onto the salon geek folder in dropbox if you would like to use it in your salon.

Last edited:
Good for you and great he rebooked, when I'm busier in the future I will remember this as its so annoying and rude, no need when a quick call is all it takes. X

Ps most dentist's do it do why shouldn't we :) x

This is such a positive thread! If the majority of therapists tried to enforce this policy then like it or lump it the public would get the message it's standard practice and expect to pay for missed appointments or breaching cancellation policies. It would be great if someone took this issue forward in the industry, developed standard speel for leaflets etc perhaps stickers for salon windows etc as there have been so many threads about this problem and therapists being left out of pocket and feeling bad. I wonder if it's something geeg could pursue and we all subscribe or something? Just a thought:)

So proud of you, Lynne!

Our salon has a credit card deposit as a built-in feature for online booking and even if clients phone in, they will be asked for a credit card to secure their reservation. If they no-show, they will be charged $25 for anything up to a one hour appointment and $50 for anything beyond.

Needless to say, we don't get no-showed very often anymore.

While I agree that people who are no shows should more often than not have to pay the cancellation fee, I would be cautious with this. Taking a payment from a card without authorisation from the named person could be classed as fraud if they complain to their bank. YES they know they give card details as per your confirmation and cancellation policy BUT do you have a signature to prove this? Even if they say ok yes charge me on the phone, there is nothing stopping them calling the bank a few days later.

I know when I worked in events, without a signature on a contract, I was never allowed to enforce cancellation fees as legally the person could take us to the cleaners :eek:

That's why I add the cancellation policy to my booking emails, but you're quite right, you could indeed get a chargeback.

Our website has this policy clearly defined and when folks call in to book, it is explained clearly as well. They have the choice either on line or via phone NOT to book once they know the policy.

If they choose to book in, they must accept the terms and conditions. No-show, pay the penalty.

While I agree that people who are no shows should more often than not have to pay the cancellation fee, I would be cautious with this. Taking a payment from a card without authorisation from the named person could be classed as fraud if they complain to their bank. YES they know they give card details as per your confirmation and cancellation policy BUT do you have a signature to prove this? Even if they say ok yes charge me on the phone, there is nothing stopping them calling the bank a few days later.

I know when I worked in events, without a signature on a contract, I was never allowed to enforce cancellation fees as legally the person could take us to the cleaners :eek:

New customers are asked for their card details, and are told that a 50% non refundable deposit is taken. The signature is not needed as they give the CCS number to activate the payment. The payment is taken immediately they make the booking.

All customers are also aware that a 50% charge is made for no shows.

No shows are a pain. I went to my doctors surgery last week to pick up a prescription, they have started to display a list of missed appointments. 157 in April !! Shocking.

Our website has this policy clearly defined and when folks call in to book, it is explained clearly as well. They have the choice either on line or via phone NOT to book once they know the policy.

If they choose to book in, they must accept the terms and conditions. No-show, pay the penalty.

I had an email this evening from a young lady wanting to book a tan next week for a wedding on Saturday. I jiggled a couple of things around (no, not them!) and offered her a time when she had finished work. She came back and said, "thank you sooo much, I was really struggling to find somehwere, you're a star!"
I sent her the booking confirmation email asking for her to call me with her card details and she emailed me back saying "you can f&*k off then, I'm not giving you my details. I'll find somewhere cheaper anywhere"

Meh!

Wow! Pitty she wasn't like the first guy! I can't understand why you would not want to give your details unless you were not sure about turning up! Sounds like you had a lucky escape 😳x

Shocking :-(
Sometimes, actually most of the time I bend over backwards for my clients and some of them just don't appreciate it, luckily the majority do !

I had an email this evening from a young lady wanting to book a tan next week for a wedding on Saturday. I jiggled a couple of things around (no, not them!) and offered her a time when she had finished work. She came back and said, "thank you sooo much, I was really struggling to find somehwere, you're a star!"
I sent her the booking confirmation email asking for her to call me with her card details and she emailed me back saying "you can f&*k off then, I'm not giving you my details. I'll find somewhere cheaper anywhere"

Meh!

Sounds like a delightful lady... :-/

Ps most dentist's do it do why shouldn't we :) x

My dentist cancellation fee is £200!!!! so scared or not I do a hop skip jump into his chair lol x

Latest posts

Back