Oh the joys of staff....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimi1101

Reaction score
I have a few young girls working with me who think that the Tangoed look is the way to go....I've spoken to them a few times about it, from saying, "Oh, your tan is a bit streaked" to "Look at the state of you, what does that say about the salon?"

I've offered them all to have their spray tans done in here weekly for free, I understand this will cost me in product but HELLO those hideous tans could be costing me in clients coming in thinking "JESUS is that what a spray tan comes out like..."

But none have taken me up on this. We also have an issue with scabby, half chewed off nail polish. I told themI feel like a blooming Scout leader having to inspect them before they start work, but half the time they think this is funny.

Now I'm a bit of a softy...but I wanna get tough on this. Can I say to them this week that if they turn up next week looking like a snake half way through shedding or some dirty stop out who hasn't gone home since her night out the week before that they will be sent home? I know its kind of mean but I keep saying to them about it and they keep ignoring me really. There is loads of young girls contacting me for summer jobs at the moment so it would be easy to get rid of these ones and get new ones in, but I wanna give them a chance.

Also, I heard an idea of a points system where you get points for...good attendance etc, and points off for shoody appearance, being late etc...and then when you get to a certain amount of points, you get a prize of some description?

I'm just at a loss, and the salon is getting so busy on Saturdays that I NEED these girls to not need checked on every minute of the day. It doesn't help that my right hand junior is on holiday this week :'(

Thanks in advance for the advice :D xxx

It is a condition of their employment that they are presentable for clients.

You have offered to help with that if they don't take you up on it then it sounds like they prefer looking awful.

I suspect plenty of other young ladies would bite your arm off for your offer.

The points system sounds a bit like the one I used with my kids when they were young.

good luck xxxx

Yes, at times in the day I do feel like Supernanny. Except I don't get that warm, rewarding feeling at the end of the day when the kids turn into angels....

Do you have an appraisal system in place? This i find is a good way to get your point across on a proffessional basis and also for the staff to also give their view. My appraisals are done quarterly or if there are concerns (like personal presentation, work standards etc) these are reviewed bi-weekly. Hope this helps

this isn't said as somebody who is a professional in anything that you do or who has ever owned their own business but i couldn't help posting, sorry!

a points system for being a human being?! seriously? you want to award them for having basic good manners (being punctual is just that, basic good manners) and dressing appropriately? surely that should be a given??
gosh, you aren't their mother, you're pretty much doing them a favour in all honesty - we all know how hard it is to find a job in a salon, so cut your loses and find somebody else. you said you wanted to 'give them a chance' haven't you already done that by subtly hinting about their tans and then telling them about their tans? to be honest that's about 2 chances you have given them.

also, in your post you never once commented on how good they were at their job, not once. not even something like 'they look a mess, but they really do work and try hard' or '... but clients love them'. you never once said anything like that about them. surely that says alot?

gosh you are far too nice! no way would i stand for people taking the mick, especially thinking it was funny when i told them. at the end of the day your reputation is your money and you need money to stay in business and to actually have a home to go back to.

x

Oh the joys of staff....

Tell me about it Kim!!!!

I know, I know, I know.....

I struggle with it all, and I'd feel bad letting them go. But I've got to the point now where I have tried with them (one of them in particular) and its just not going in. None of it is going in her brain at all.

She phoned her dad to come get her half an hour early last week because I asked her if the back shop was tidy? Next I knew her dad was waiting outside, I told her that she wasn't supposed to leave til 5, and it was 4.30, and that the back room wasn't tidy so she shouldn't be leaving til then anyway!!!!

Going to ask them to come in on Friday night to go over training with them, as I don't have time on Saturday. And at that point it will be discussed.

I'm no good at this :(

You are good at it!!!!!!!!!!!! You notice the problems and you are prepared to deal with it xxxxxxx

You may not have oodles of experience in dealing with it yet but that doesn't mean you are no good at it.

I think you are doing what you can, asking advice and setting a meeting xxxxx

First time is the worst after that it becomes natural xxxxxxxx

I live and work in Scotland as a mobile therapist, but would love to bite your arm off topping up my hours during the Day. I would sack one of them !then sit back and watch the others pull their socks up.
Good luck

Youve heard of the three strikes and your out system. Well in my mind they've at least reached two. Friday night inform them of this and say one more strike your out. We are in the middle of a recession and there are people lining up for jobs. If you dont like what I have to say theres the door. If you want to stay buck up your ideas, come into work looking:

IMMACULATE
PROFESSIONAL
ON TIME
NO SLACKING
COURTEOUS

or your out. SIMPLE.

If that doesnt make them get their act together nothing will and seriously do you want that sort of person representing your salon.

anne xx

You might need to define "immaculate" given the audience!
e.g. This means no orange tans, no bitten fingernails, no scruffy shoes/trousers/insert skanky piece of attire here!

Hi kim. My two penneth here is that these girls are just not "into" your salon and our industry in the way that you are, or want them to be. I would accept that and replace them quickly. Flogging dead horses won't help you become a good people manager. I trust you have asked them why they look like stripy oompa loompas?
If it is not a Scottish fashion look and they just can't be bothered to wash properly then scoot them out quick

"stripy oompa loompas"
Bad Dawn!
:)

. I trust you have asked them why they look like stripy oompa loompas?
If it is not a Scottish fashion look and they just can't be bothered to wash properly then scoot them out quick

The stripey Oompa Loompa look is definitely not 'on trend' here in Scotland!! ;)

ooooh lol very amusing, oompa lumpas clasic

I thought I'd better ask! We have the "grey" blonde hair look going on down here. Sadly they don't look like ageyness dean but look like little old ladies in leggings!!!
Tragic.

ahhhhhhh. the tan look is apparently what the 15 year olds in my area are attempting to achieve.

only a few are lucky enough to manage it....

One of them just started 2 weeks ago so I feel bad on her I havent given her much of a chance to be honest. But she's been warned about the tan tomorrow. The other one.....hmmmm. In my opinion cant be bothered. Thought employing another sat girl would buck her ideas up....unfortunately not.

we shall see what saturday brings. Hopefully more Cheryl Cole than Jodie Marsh.

Your more patient than me. I send people home to get changed. Mine now are all quite into hair and beauty. Cannot stand skanky looking juniors. Remember Kim, after two weeks she should be trying to impress you not antagonise or ignore you. Get rid and make sure the next one is told how she is expected to present herself.

yeah maybe I am a bit too nice. They'll be thrown in at the deep end this weekend, and the longer term one knows shes on a shaky peg after last week. i just feel bad, and I know I shouldnt at all!!!!!

if they come in looking dodgy on sat they are getting sent home. grrrrr :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

i agree with anne about tomorrow night being the 3rd strike... i'm a bit of a soft touch like you and if i had a salon i'd be gutted about having to sack someone but at the end of the day, they're advertising your business and you don't want people looking at them and thinking your salon is responsible for their dodgy tans and manicures... i've worked in quite a few salons and i think youre being very kind by offering them professional spray tans - can't believe they've not jumped at the chance! if they don't give two hoots about their own appearance is this really the right industry for them to be getting into anyway?

good luck tomorrow toots xx

Latest posts

Back