Oil in Clothing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandywine

Reaction score
I have a real problem with getting oil out of my tunic top and couch sheets. Has anyone found a washing powder that actually gets it out. I'd like to have a different coloured outfit but everything just ends up spoiled, so I just end up with black. Any ideas?

you need to treat the stain first with neat washing up liquid...rub it in well and then wash as normal...the washing up liquid will cut through and dissolve the oil.

Or something I learned from an aunt - Sprinkle Talc on the area leave overnight or a day and then wash as normal. vola!

my mum has an old trick to do with oil in clothing which i followed on ,wet the stain, pour some talc or flour on it rub it in & leave overnight ...in morning pop in a basin of warm water and wash as normal ...it's worked for me in the past with my white tunic till i changed to black.

There's some very useful tips there. I have never heard of the talc one before.

Can't you wear those disposable plastic aprons?

Thanks for your helpful replies. I can't wear an apron when doing a massage, which is when I get the oil on me. I also have the problem of getting it out of couch sheets as there's no avoiding it really.

i had that prob to faye getting it out of massage couch covers ...that i got the cheapest cotton bedsheets from the local bedding store..i pop one over the couch and lay down my couch roll ..the clients isnt really going to bother about the look of the sheets .i just wash mine at 50 0c temperature in machine they come out ok as long as they are put in straight away.

I find a quick spray of Vanish before I pop my tunic in the wash always gets rid of massage oils.

I find a quick spray of Vanish before I pop my tunic in the wash always gets rid of massage oils.

aha another one i forgot to mention good old vanish CW i noticed you are a stockist of jessica products...i'm always on the look out to trying new products could you pm me the link to your site so i can give the jessica ones a try..much appreciated

Another good trick which i used when i dropped a roasting tin full of oil all over me, is a cheap shampoo, i use either tesco value or a better one is one from lidl. Pour the shampoo over the stain rub in well and leave for a few mins, then wash as normal.
I also heard Coke is supposed to be good, though i have never tried it.

I agree with bagpuss fairy liquid is the best method of removing oil from clothes. Good luck let me know how you get on :)

my dear old mum is a marvel at giving out "kitchen cupboard remedies" here is some more she has told me but i think she watches too much kim & aggie..
On white clothing , apply white vinegar or lemon juice to the stained area. Allow to soak in to the fabric then put in the washing machine. The stain should come right out as if it had never been there!

If you happen to spill wine onto your clothes or carpet, grab the salt before doing anything else! Dump some salt on the stain right away, which absorbs a lot of the moisture before it sets. Wash as normal as soon after a few mins.

Clean brass, copper and pewter even your copper pans with a paste made from vinegar, flour and salt

Use salt as an ingredient in home made whitewash for stubborn stains

fairy liquid for stains and vanish or shout for them aswell

a paste made of flour and fairy liquid to get nail polish stains out clothes

i could go on but it's too much :lol:

I have also used the talc method and successfully got rid of oil marks :)

Latest posts

Back