Oily Nails??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
Recently, a new client was referred to me.
I did a full consult: no allergies, no meds daily, no health issues of any kind.
She works in an office.

I applied EZ FLow uv gel. Everything went great, as usual.

3 days later... MEGA lift..

She came for a repair and I queried her about her activities.. nothing outside the norm.
THEN she says "my old tech told me I had an oily nail plate, I always get lift, even at the 'chinese place'" (Her words, NOT mine)

She doesn't have oily skin or hair. In fact, it's very dry. My answer to her was that I was inclined to think her old tech had failed to resolve the issue and chose to make an excuse. I confessed that I was baffled by the lift, given she isn't taking any medications nor are there any other contra-indications I could think of.

I told her I would query my peers and let her know what I discovered.
She was very nice about all of it (she knows many friends of mine and my cousin, so she has faith in me and isn't blowing me off, ya know?)

Anywayyyyyyyy.... long story short.... anybody have a clue why she suffers lift within 3 days? Has anyone seen anything of the like where they just couldn't figure it out?
What helps?

THANKS
:hug:

I guess nobody has ever heard of a situation like this before?

I'm not sure I can answer, but here's what I've experienced:

One client came for the first time. I did LP NNO, and it all lifted badly, whatever I tried. Then I gave her gel NNO and - it stayed perfectly! No lifting, no nothing, you could only see nails grown out...

To second one I did gel sculpts, which all fell off the next day. And I do mean all fell off next day :eek: so I did it with LP, and it went great.

Both clients really did not do anything wrong to ruin them... you know, you can tell if they do... pick marks, medical stuff, bad habits, no nothing...

I also wondered why all of that happened and couldn't explain, but was also happy for being able to give them an alternative...

Maybe someone will have more wisdom to share :)

I have only tried UV Gel so far.

BUT she has had L&P & Tip-n-dip & Uv Gel elsewhere... and the same thing happened at those other places too.

So, I'm hesitant to try the other systems I offer, and don't want to waste her money and time... know what I mean?

I just don't understand why someone would say "oily nails" since nails don't have sebaceous glands :rolleyes:

i havent really had this with clients, but my own nails get mysterious lifting when i have l/p and not just when i do them myself. within about 3 days i get really bad lifting.

however, when i have gel, absolutely no problem.

:)I actually have a client with really sweaty hands ... The very first time I did gel nails on her, she had some lifting..
I called my educator/Dist. and was advised to double prime her.

So when I do her gel nails now, I always use the (MAP primer) on her instead of the affixit.. ( I use Akzentz products).. Since then she can now go three weeks with no lifting..

P.S.
Her hands were so sweaty that I would have to keep drying them..

Every one is different! (hence the need to do loads of practice on real people when training and there's still a 'winger')

The comment on sweating could be helpful.

If lifting still happens however well prep is done then there are few other measures you can take.

Gel sits on top of the nail and needs very good bonding. Dehydrating each nail immediately before application can help. Same for priming (if needed for the overlay). Wait for the dehydrator and/or primer to dry completely before applying overlay.

A l&p or resin based system could work more successfully but may need the above to ensure a good bond.

She doesn't have sweaty hands (I have a client like that)

I did ensure a good and thorough prep. No issues like this with other clients (other than my client with thyroid probs and who also takes anti-depressants)....... so at a loss....
Within 3 days only, MEGA lift. I did a rebalance and double checked myself. Again, 2-3 days later, mega lift.
For the initial set, I used my preferred non-acid primer. For the rebalance, I used the EZ Flow acid-primer that goes with the system.
Same results.

I hesitate to use L&P because A) I'm still experiencing growing pains with it and some 'ratio' issues. (Still practicing only on 3 long term clients who NEVER lift with uv gel so that I know it's me and not them,if there is lift)
B) she says she's had L&P elsewhere, and it lifted right away too...

I hate to waste my own time and money AND hers...

Hi Victoria,

I have had two of these clients in my 11 years and sometimes it just comes down to body chemistry. If all of these different products will not bond - she just cannot wear enhancements. Sucks for her, but thats the truth of it!

I recently had lifting problems with my own nails. Finally we discovered that I just couldn't take a wet prep....so now I just do a dry prep and my nails last perfectly.

From what i have read...and i have seen a few comments fro geeg on it somewhere i have come to the conclusion that oily nails are a bit of a myth.
however saying that i had one client where i would prep as usual and remove shine from nail then apply dehydrator and primer....but i would start to apply product as normal with no problems but a few nails in you could see the nail regaining its shine so to speak......if that makes any sense. So what marian suggested about applying the dehydrator and primer directly before the product makes perfect sense to me and is actually what i did....and it seemed to solve the problems that i was having with that particular client.
i dont know what it is that causes someones nails to return to normal so quickly after a full prep(but i would like to.....if anyone knows????) .....but i dont think its oily nails!!

I hesitate to use L&P because
B) she says she's had L&P elsewhere, and it lifted right away too...
Just because the other places that used L&P lifted doesnt mean they will with you. The other places most likely didnt perform proper prep where as you will be.

So what marian suggested about applying the dehydrator and primer directly before the product makes perfect sense to me and is actually what i did....and it seemed to solve the problems that i was having with that particular client.

I'm not sure how much more immediately before the product I can do it. I mean that I only do one hand at a time. I do a full dry prep on both hands. Then I go back to the right, dehydrate again, let it dry, apply the primer (or bonder as case may be), let it dry fully, then apply product and cure. If I were to do each nail individually EEEEKS I'd be there forever.
But thanks anyway.

Just because the other places that used L&P lifted doesnt mean they will with you. The other places most likely didnt perform proper prep where as you will be.
Thanks for your faith in me! But I still get lift on myself on a few fingers, and on my guineapigs (and we're all non-lifters with gel). My ratio still isn't consistent and I still struggle with the size of the brush (which is HUGE in comparison to gel:lol:).
So, if she lifted again, I wouldn't know if it was me or her.

Perhaps I'll wait until I master the L&P, and give her a holler then. I'm pretty sure she'd give it a go and hasn't written me off. Again, she's good friends with my cousin and is very amicable.

Thanks everyone.

have you thought of trying her with a soak off gel victoria. that never seems to lift on anyone.

I would also suggest you tried her with L&P.

I read this thread before anyone had replied, and my thoughts were a little mixed, but since you have gone through a few more things since, I would still go with L&P.
My reasons are.....

If she had services elsewhere with lifting, her nails are probably a bit weak from the other products & L&P would probably be better suited, to give her more strength.....but thoroughly prep each nail, apply your primer (if needed with your chosen L&P) etc over a couple of nails and apply product, then do a couple more and apply etc.

Oily nail plates....i have prepped nails and gone to apply and the shine has re-appeared - therefore apply the primer as stated, and do a couple of nails at a time - i even have one client I prep all 10 nail, then each individual nail gets scrubfreshed, nail freshed, scrubfreshed & primed, then application of product - it really helps ( I know some say scrubfresh should be the last thing on the nail before application because of the bacteria fighting ingredients etc).

In my CND way, I have learned that weaker nails are better suited to L&P and ridged brittle nails are more suited to gel, which gives the flexibility for them.
Each brand will have their own 'thing'. But try and conquer your L&P and I think you'll win her over big time.:hug:

Latest posts

Back