Ok... I really am slightly confused :|

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

british.jem

Reaction score
I hope some of you can help me, ive received my diploma stating that I '

'have successfully completed a course in nail technician and has met all the requirements as designated by the college to be awarded a DIPLOMA and is thereby entitled to use the letters S.A.C dip. (nail technician) and has this day the 5th of april 2011 been entered onto the college guild of graduates register'

I got the grade distinction.
So im confused now, is this what employers look at to see your a qualified nail tech? Im sorry if this is a silly question but ive got myself so confused with searching the internet lol. Someone help?!

As far as I no a distinction is the highest you can get from college. So you will be fine. Iam in college an we got given what each meaning meant an a distinction is when you go above an beyond the standard service. Hope this helps x

I hope some of you can help me, ive received my diploma stating that I '

'have successfully completed a course in nail technician and has met all the requirements as designated by the college to be awarded a DIPLOMA and is thereby entitled to use the letters S.A.C dip. (nail technician) and has this day the 5th of april 2011 been entered onto the college guild of graduates register'

I got the grade distinction.
So im confused now, is this what employers look at to see your a qualified nail tech? Im sorry if this is a silly question but ive got myself so confused with searching the internet lol. Someone help?!

As I understood it from you in one of your posts, you are doing a distance learning course?

I am interested to know what practical work you have done on which they based your 'distinction'?

Did you go and do a practical assessment in front of an Assessor?

Have they in fact really seen your work? I'm not trying to be critical ... just interested in how they do it.

When I looked into distance learning courses they said the practicals are assesed by photographic evedence.

You have to take photos at several different stages of the aplication and from specific angles after completed (from above and down the barrel of the nail etc) then send the photos off to be assesed.

There may be different ways of doing the practical for different distance learning companies though. I decided to do a 1-2-1 course instead.

When I looked into distance learning courses they said the practicals are assesed by photographic evedence.

You have to take photos at several different stages of the aplication and from specific angles after completed (from above and down the barrel of the nail etc) then send the photos off to be assesed.

There may be different ways of doing the practical for different distance learning companies though. I decided to do a 1-2-1 course instead.

Thank you. That is why I am asking as I do know that different education providers have different ways of assessing. I wanted to know how british.jem has been assessed.

I know with Essential nails that you submit the actual nails you do on your nail trainer. These start from the very beginning, prepping the nail, applying a tip through to applying the gel or acrylic and finishing. You have to do several hundred nails of which you send in so many at each stage and there is a written test as well. :green:

I know with Essential nails that you submit the actual nails you do on your nail trainer. These start from the very beginning, prepping the nail, applying a tip through to applying the gel or acrylic and finishing. You have to do several hundred nails of which you send in so many at each stage and there is a written test as well. :green:

Thank you, I know that too :green:
I want british.gem to tell me how she was assessed as I believe she is doing a different course and not EN.

See that's why I don't understand it. They haven't personaly seen any practical work from me, just theory. I hope I haven't wasted all my time and money and don't know how to rectify it. I'm looking for additional courses that I can take without having to redo all the work I have already done. But as I won't be returning back to the UK for a while I don't know what to do. I wish I had found this website before taking my course... :'(

See that's why I don't understand it. They haven't personaly seen any practical work from me, just theory. I hope I haven't wasted all my time and money and don't know how to rectify it. I'm looking for additional courses that I can take without having to redo all the work I have already done. But as I won't be returning back to the UK for a while I don't know what to do. I wish I had found this website before taking my course... :'(

Well it is nice to have a distinction in your theory work ! To your original question ... As an employer, I wouldn't really take much notice of it. I would be assessing your practical work in a trade test of my own, and even more importantly, your attitude and your character and how you would fit into our salon team. :hug:

I do not think you can do what you want to do from a distance. If you cannot get your license in America, then I'd save up and wait until you get back to the UK and take a proper live, teacher-led course. It's no bad thing to re-cover theory on another course ... Can't do any harm at all and I'm sure you will learn even more from it. I've been learning for 30 years ! And re-learning! And still learning!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back