one day wax course - okay / not ok

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done a 1 day waxing course which I also got a certificate for and insurance.

I would not for one minute suggest that a one day course means you can go straight out and wax people. I had theory notes to learn and also a very complex book which I studied for ages.

I will say though that to be good at waxing takes practice, practice, practice and I picked it up quite quickly. I have never had any problems with clients and always make sure I carry out a full consultation and keep a record card.

sam

you have to ask yourself 1 question
would you want someone to wax you with only 1 days training???????

I have recently completed a 1.5 day waxing course. Day one was warm wax, second day was hot wax.
The course was pretty intense with lots of homework and practise. I have to go back this Thursday for my assesment this is for a Guild/BABTAC certified course.
I had the option to do this an an NVQ unit HOWEVER it is the exact same course (NVQ people were in my training group) except that you have 3 less case studies to do.
I have my tutors number/email if I have any queries or problems.
I have to return with written and photographic evidence to prove that I have completed the assignments as well as having my practical assesment on Thursday.
The people that I have waxed have comented on how much less painful and less red they have been after treatment compared to previous treatments from more experienced and more expensive salons and rebooked to have the service with me :)
As for being waxed by someone that has only had one days training......remember everyone HAS to start somewhere !!

I have recently completed a 1.5 day waxing course. Day one was warm wax, second day was hot wax.
The course was pretty intense with lots of homework and practise. I have to go back this Thursday for my assesment this is for a Guild/BABTAC certified course.
I had the option to do this an an NVQ unit HOWEVER it is the exact same course (NVQ people were in my training group) except that you have 3 less case studies to do.
I have my tutors number/email if I have any queries or problems.
I have to return with written and photographic evidence to prove that I have completed the assignments as well as having my practical assesment on Thursday.
The people that I have waxed have comented on how much less painful and less red they have been after treatment compared to previous treatments from more experienced and more expensive salons and rebooked to have the service with me :)
As for being waxed by someone that has only had one days training......remember everyone HAS to start somewhere !!
Just wondered how many different areas and different hair types you have to cover on this course?

I agree wholeheartedly with Salmonsa. Everyone I wax say it's so nice to leave the salon totally wax free and not have loads of bits left on. That I take time to tweezer out the stragglies and they go completely hair free. that I don't dip the same spatula back in the pot. And that for the first time ever they have been given aftercare. It makes me slower than a more experienced waxer, but it doesn't make me a complacent or badly skilled one.

Out of interest for those who studied at FE Colleges on long term courses. Were you supervised at every waxing you did? Or were you taught in a large group and then left to it and had limited supervision? Short courses are normally in very small classes and often you get more supervision in that short space of time than you do in a class of 20 students over the long course. A lot of pre course reading is required before a short course. I had to do a number of case studies as required by VTCT and then had a full assessment to qualify at Level 2.

I'm sure some will say that you shouldn't do nail extensions on people after a four day course as well, but as said above, we all have to start somewhere, but we also need to know our limitations.

At the end of the day I think it is up to the individual to decide what is right for their level of confidence and learning ability.

Just wondered how many different areas and different hair types you have to cover on this course?

Mine covered all areas - full leg, half leg, bikini, underarm, eyebrow, top lip and chin.

You will learn exactly the same background on the one day course as you would at college. After the one day course, you go home and practice on all your mates for about 4 weeks or so. After that you're bound to have seen all the different hair growth patterns and so on...........
I went on the one day Salon services course and the tutor (Sharrell) was excellent. Have been on most of my courses with her since.
Go for it !!!!

I've decided to go on a few refresher courses as I did my Beauty Therapy training many years ago, and working practices change such a lot in this industry.

I did a one day eyelash tinting course last week. I've got to say, I found it excellent. She spent far more time with me than my tutor did during a two year course in college.

I've booked myself onto a one day waxing course with the same tutor, so I'll let you know what I think when I've done it.

It's all very interesting stuff,have to say I am happy that I did mine over a year.I was fortunate not to be in a large class and our lecturer spent a lot of time with us.Each to their own I guess but I do think there is an awful lot to take in in just one day.
There is an awful lot of theory that goes into waxing and I think a lot of people would struggle to retain that information in just one day.As has already been mentioned.

You will learn exactly the same background on the one day course as you would at college. After the one day course, you go home and practice on all your mates for about 4 weeks or so. After that you're bound to have seen all the different hair growth patterns and so on...........
I went on the one day Salon services course and the tutor (Sharrell) was excellent. Have been on most of my courses with her since.
Go for it !!!!
Have you been to college and done an NVQ in beauty therapy Angela?I cannot see for one minute how a one day course can possibly teach you the same as a whole year at college.Im not knocking the 1 day course as you can tell from my earlier reply but please dont make ridiculous statements like this when you have only done a days course.

I agree there is an awful lot to take in and so it would not be suitable for someone who either cannot absorb information quickly, and who is not confident in dealing with the public. I am still slow, but then I know people who come out of college and aren't super speedy waxers. I think it's not until you get in a salon environment and are doing lots of waxing day in day out that you get up to speed.

But I was taught about stretching the skin and getting your client to help you, testing the temp of the wax on your client, client consultation, H&S, and also about trimming long hair - none of which has ever happened when I've been waxed. In fact I was amazed to learn what a lackadaisical approach most salons take when waxing. I hope I don't become like that.

Bikini, underarm, eyebrows, top lip, half leg, 3/4 leg & full leg

Vellus,terminal, conditions such as hypertrichosis,hirsutism etc etc

I agree there is a lot to take in BUT you get out of it what you are prepared to put in.

Have you been to college and done an NVQ in beauty therapy Angela?I cannot see for one minute how a one day course can possibly teach you the same as a whole year at college.Im not knocking the 1 day course as you can tell from my earlier reply but please dont make ridiculous statements like this:rolleyes:

Well i could flip this the other way and ask if you've ever been on a good one day course? I've been on a few now, the information thrown at you is mind blowing and requires a lot of reading and practice at home.

I took a one day makeup course with LCN as a precursor to my permanent makeup course. I decided I wanted to learn even more about makeup techniques and corrective makeup in particular. So I enrolled at Fareham College for a one yearr evening course in Level 2 Cosmetic Makeup course. I kid you not, I learned more in that one day than we did on that whole course. It was the most disapointing training I have ever received.

I agree there is an awful lot to take in and so it would not be suitable for someone who either cannot absorb information quickly, and who is not confident in dealing with the public. I am still slow, but then I know people who come out of college and aren't super speedy waxers. I think it's not until you get in a salon environment and are doing lots of waxing day in day out that you get up to speed.

But I was taught about stretching the skin and getting your client to help you, testing the temp of the wax on your client, client consultation, H&S, and also about trimming long hair - none of which has ever happened when I've been waxed. In fact I was amazed to learn what a lackadaisical approach most salons take when waxing. I hope I don't become like that.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more Sassy

But I was taught about stretching the skin and getting your client to help you, testing the temp of the wax on your client, client consultation, H&S, and also about trimming long hair - none of which has ever happened when I've been waxed. In fact I was amazed to learn what a lackadaisical approach most salons take when waxing. I hope I don't become like that.
I would like to say Sass that we are not like that in our salon at all.
The trouble with a lot of salons is they employ young girls with no people skills and they just dont care,not all I know and I'm not saying all 'young girls'are the same.
I get told some horror stories I can tell you.No skin prep,no consultation,ripping off of underarm hair all in one go,causing terrible bruising in bikini areas,no after wax,no aftercare....oh the list goes on.
I love my job and I care very much about my clients and their welfare.I have a huge amount of waxing I do everyday and every week.I pride myself in my waxing capabilities.
I have done 2 seperate training days on Hollywood waxing and advanced waxing techniques on top of my years training in waxing at college.Unfortunately there are crap therapists/waxers out there and to be truthful they have no right to be in the profession.But hey...that's life I guess.
One thing though nobody waxes me other than myself and my boss.I'm sure you wont become like that if you care about your clients as Im sure you do Sass.

Latest posts

Back