one day wax course - okay / not ok

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extensionten

Reaction score
Hi, I am a nail technician.... BUT I do want to do a waxing course. Have looked around. Okay, there is a course at the college I trained at for just over £600.00 - 11 weeks. OR there is one at Salon express £110.00 one day.
I'm a great believer in you get what you pay for, and also in gaining excellent qualifications. I would NEVER go on or suggest anyone goes on a one day nail course. So does the same advice stand with the waxing would you say?
By the way fyi the 11 week course will give me a C&G qualification and the other one I can definately get insurance with Professional Beauty.
Thank you for any advice on this girls and boys. x

VCTC course goign to be running at southend tech on waxing 12 weeks on saturday mornings hun not sure what the cost is, but anyone on tax credis or anythign like that normally gets it for nothing or very small cost. Ive got my name down for it theya re just waiting for enough numbers to be able to run it.

As for the question i would go with the more expensive more in depth dealt with properly course with a certified qualification that overs you on your insurance

That seems alot for a part time course? Is it at a private training centre or a college?

by the way scatty it is VTCT. (take no notice of me though cause I cant spell)!

I did my waxing training as part of my nvq2 so i would be cautious about the one day course - but never done this so I couldnt comment on how successful they are!

Hi,
I'd go with the longer course as it takes a lot of practise to get waxing right. If your not doing it properly you could end up damaging somebody and its just not worth it.

Hi, I am a nail technician.... BUT I do want to do a waxing course. Have looked around. Okay, there is a course at the college I trained at for just over £600.00 - 11 weeks. OR there is one at Salon express £110.00 one day.
I'm a great believer in you get what you pay for, and also in gaining excellent qualifications. I would NEVER go on or suggest anyone goes on a one day nail course. So does the same advice stand with the waxing would you say?
By the way fyi the 11 week course will give me a C&G qualification and the other one I can definately get insurance with Professional Beauty.
Thank you for any advice on this girls and boys. x
I went on a course for one day with training solutions for waxing for 1 day and the way they taught it was fine at the time but i am a full time 2nd year beauty student in college now and a lot of it is opposite is from the way you are taught at college,and also they teach you just to dip the spatula in the pot where now you are supposed to drizzle from one spatula to avoid cross contaminationwhich also makes your application slightly different in texture to apply,so i would say stick to a proper course not a one day one,thats ust my opinion.
Sarah Gaffney xxxxx:irked:

VCTC course goign to be running at southend tech on waxing 12 weeks on saturday mornings hun not sure what the cost is, but anyone on tax credis or anythign like that normally gets it for nothing or very small cost. Ive got my name down for it theya re just waiting for enough numbers to be able to run it.

As for the question i would go with the more expensive more in depth dealt with properly course with a certified qualification that overs you on your insurance

I will call them tommorrow - thanx. Not on any benefits, but if it sounds good could be the one.

btw the one day do say you can get insurance with professional beauty direct... I am thinking if it is an insurable course then is it okay...mmmm

I went on a course for one day with training solutions for waxing for 1 day and the way they taught it was fine at the time but i am a full time 2nd year beauty student in college now and a lot of it is opposite is from the way you are taught at college,and also they teach you just to dip the spatula in the pot where now you are supposed to drizzle from one spatula to avoid cross contaminationwhich also makes your application slightly different in texture to apply,so i would say stick to a proper course not a one day one,thats ust my opinion.
Sarah Gaffney xxxxx:irked:

I finished my training in spring this year and I have never heard of drizzling from one spatula to another!?!?!?

I personally would not do the 1 day course.As mentioned waxing takes time and lots of practice.I dont see how a 1 day course could possibly cover all areas of the body.
Even though Professional Beauty cover you on this 1 day course,if you dont cover all areas of the body they will not cover you in the area that you have not done.Hope I'm making sense here.

Okay, just wondering.... is anyone from Chelmsford Essex who HAS been on the Beauty Express course? Big shot but who knows?
I really wouldn't want to do a one dayer and regret it cos I learnt jack.

I personally would not do the 1 day course.As mentioned waxing takes time and lots of practice.I dont see how a 1 day course could possibly cover all areas of the body.
Even though Professional Beauty cover you on this 1 day course,if you dont cover all areas of the body they will not cover you in the area that you have not done.Hope I'm making sense here.

yes that is exactly my worry... that is why I want some advice... thanx hun xx

Why not ask if you can come and sit in and watch a class or act as a model for the class. Are you near south woodham totally changing the subject your pm box is full

I finished my training in spring this year and I have never heard of drizzling from one spatula to another!?!?!?
This needs to take place because of health and safety.My daughter finished last year and this was how she was taught.There are lots of nasties in your wax pot.If you are using your spatula on somebody then dip straight into the wax there is a high risk of cross contamination.Far better to use a clean and easy(roller waxing system0saves flaffing around.Takes twice as long doing it with 2 spatulas but this is how it's taught now.
Apparently there have been cases of people catching hepatitis via wax pots.Read in a beauty magazine only last week.:eek:

Why not ask if you can come and sit in and watch a class or act as a model for the class. Are you near south woodham totally changing the subject your pm box is full
Good thinking batman!!!
Erm... yes, Im chelmsford so its not far. thax for the pm warning.. do it now xx

I wouldn't probably do a one day course in something I was completely new to.

I have just completed a two day course in sugaring, it was 121 and I feel that it was enough, I am not sure that I would have been happy at the end of the first day though!

I have been and read a few posts about waxing.... there is soooo much involved.... I don't know how they would pack it all in. I think the longer course is the way to go..... save save save!!!! xx
thanx girls

They do the VTCT at Brentwood also, i think its a Tues or Wed night, starting in December - its £202 but its 24 weeks i think

Its on the website Mid Essex Adult Community College

well I did a couse which was 1.5 days. I feel confident in the wax removal (stretching skin etc), health and safety and so on, it's actualy the application that I am crap at. Takes me forever and I get wax everywhere. I've just bought the PhD Jpod to try it out, and I did it on myself and so much easier. Got my first client in tomorrow.

Yes I was taught the cut out method wher you drizzle from one spatula to another.

For me I wish I'd taken a longer course to get more supervised experience, but that's jsut because of my lack of confidence on the application. trouble is I did a year at college on another course and it was crap. And at my local college they don't do waxing as a seperate unit.

I am currently about to embark on a one day waing course with Ellisons in October. I was hoping to go to college for a 15 week course, but a) they have stopped doing the course b) i feel that at college you end up learnign yourself in most of the techniques and you don't know if you are doing the correct technique or not.
I believe it is down to the individual and yes, confidence does play a big part. I will under no circumstances go along to a one-day training course and come away thinking i am a ok to take money from my clients before practising on my friends for a couple of months first. I will go back to Ellisons in a couple of months time to learn how to use their PHD system as this is the system i wish to use.
I think there is no right or wrong way of learning as long as you use your initiative to know when you are ready to treat your clients 100%. In the end if you do your treatments correctly your clients will return.:)

I did waxing as part of my nvq lv 2 and struggled to take it all in over the year never mind a day !
Think of it this way, once i started a new job in a salon i went on the phd waxing course which is a day and thats just to introduce you to a new system not to teach you how to wax !
I have never been on a one day waxing course so i could be way of the mark saying this but i don't understand how you can possibly cover all of the theory involved and wax all the various areas and then be waxed yourself, how do you fit it all in ?

Latest posts

Back