Opening Salon - advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chez2k

Reaction score
I am starting up very shortly and will be moving into the back room of a hairdressers. This has been the plan for a while and now it is happening and I am trying to get it sorted the hairdresser is starting to be a bit of a nightmare.
The lady is sort of a friend of my mum and has been cutting her hair for years.
The rent started off at 30 a week (which I did think was a bit low - bit thought she was trying to help me), then it went up to 80.

The next thing is we had agreed that I would be in by next week/week after and she has now pulled up the flooring and arranged for a tiler to come and re tile the floor. She can't give me a definate date that it will be done and I am sat here with no job at the moment as I handed my notice in ready to start.

We agreed that I needed to get some wallpaper on the wall to bring in a bit of colour - and it was up to me what paper.
So I wallpaper the back wall and she has basically told me she hates the paper and wants me to paper it with the same thing she has in her salon. I have already spent 45 quid on the paper and it would mean me spending another 40. Also she is trying to tell me what to do and buy for the salon!

I know she is trying to help (maybe), but it is really getting on my nerves. I have tried to tell her, but she just doesn't listen.

Anyway (sorry for rant).... I am just wondering what you guys think? I am starting to have second thoughts and wondering whether to go mobile instead. I haven't signed a contract as there isn't one. Which is good for me as it means I can leave at any time.

Sorry this is a bit long.

Cheryl

:cry: ah you poor thing you have got it bad thats wrong how she has put the rent up that much she shouldnt of done that and if your renting it then you should be able to pick what wallpaper you want and as for agreeing on a date then she should of stuck to that:mad: .
If you really like the room i would arrange to sit down and discuss things with her and if you both agree on things you have talked about then give it a go but i would draw some sort of contract up like set rent and a time for moving in and makesure you say on the contract you give 1 month notice incase she decides after a while she doesnt want you there then she cant just kick you out and you have time to find something else but in the mean time i would go mobile or work from home and try and build a clientel up hun until things in the salon is sorted.
please talk to the lady she cant carry on treating you like this its not fair you need to no where you stand.
let us no how you get on x

Thanks for the advice. I was starting to think that it was just me overeacting - but the more I have sat and thought about it the more I am starting to think that I am making a mistake.

Like you say I will try and get her to sit and talk to me again - this is a bit of a challenge in itself as she is a bit scatty at the best of times!!

I really hope you sort things out, i am moving into a room in a hairdressers myself at the end of november and went up the other day to look at it and talk to the salon owner we seem to have got things sorted for now and plan more in the next few weeks so i do no how you must be feeling i would hate to have this happen to me but i am sure you will sort things out.
But in the mean time do a some clients at home or advertise mobile get a few flyers printed out and post a few in you local area and hand some in at shops etc it will give you a little income to help you out hun. :)

hi,

im just about to start in a hair salon aswell renting a room. im allowed to do what ever i want inside the room as thats what im paying for.. its my business and this shold be the same for you.. shes probably only trying to be helpful but you need to nip it in the bud now so she knows its yours and up to you.. personally i wouldn't want the same wallpaper as hers cos you wana be seperate don't you! just remember just cos it's only a room it is still your own business and if you are paying for it then it doesn't matter if she likes the paper or not! at the end of the day your doing her a favour by paying her extra cash each week for the room.

sarah x

Hi,
Thanks for all the advice.
I have been having a good think and I think I am going to go mobile.
I went over to the salon this afternoon and she started telling me again what she was going to order for the room.

I have had enough.
Now I have just got to tell her!!!
That is going to be loads of fun!

Can anyone tell me - what is the going rate for a small room in a hairdressers as a beautician?
Also - anyone got any idea what a hairdresser would be looking at paying to rent a chair?

Thanks

Mine was:

3 months free

Next 3 months 35.00

next 3 months 60.00

Until i get to 120.00 thats the max per week.

That includes reception, phone, tea, coffee, bills......

i would be straight with her hun tell her how you feel and tell her the reason why you dont want to work in her salon. shes totally out of order.
as for the going rate on a room i dont no as i am just paying out a comission which is much better for me as i wont be loosing anything if i have a bad week. i am paying 20% of what i make, but i have looked at rooms a while ago some was charging £20-£25 a day in hairdressers to £150 a week but that was for a room in a spa i think £40 -£50 a week is a good enough price just to start out at.
let us no how you get on xx

Hi, im just starting the same as you and know exactly how your feeling:irked:.
Although the guy im renting a room from in a tanning salon has been ok but I must say if he had done anything like what she has done I would have cut my losses and got out of there.
If she is this controlling now whats she going to be like when you have clients coming through her salon, using her facilities and taking up space in her reception!
As for the rent Im sorry but she is bang out of order Im sure you will get another room some where else cos £80 is very high, I live in yorkshire and rooms are usually about £40-£60 weekly. Is it a room or a house lol.
At the end of the day you will always have to answer to this woman so you have to be sure this is where you want to start up your business.
I would shop around first, look in local gyms, sunbed salons ect im sure there are loads of rooms to rent where you will be equally if not more happy.:) Hope this helps x

Hi I too am setting up but my arrangement is slightly different, I'm renting space in an indoor market and my rent is much more than yours but it is down South!

I agree with what everyone else has said, if shes now changed her mind about the wallpaper then she should pay for it herself. Is it your area or hers?

I also agree with what someone else said about cutting losses, i.e if she gets too control freakish I too would get out, but see if she will agree to a contract first. To all of us on here about to set out for ourselves, here's to a successful mission and all the very best of british luck xxxxx

Sam

Thanks everyone. I am glad that I asked now. Its been getting to me for the last few days and I needed to get some good opinions.
I am going to do what my gut feeling says and that is to tell her that I'm out.

Back to the drawing board - think I will do what I was going to right at the very start and go mobile.

all the best let us know how you get on x

Just thought i would update and let you all know I have sorted it out.
I have told the lady today that I won't be taking the room and she was fine with it.
Dropping the key off tommorow. Lost about 100 quid in the process, but never mind.

That's a shame. Better safe than sorry though.

Good luck in future x

I think you've done the right thing, maybe try calling some other salons see if they have a room to rent.

She sounds like a nightmare and if she is interferring now will get even worse. If you had gone for it then I would have advised you not to pay another penny out until there was a signed contract in place.

In my experience then it is always down to the salon owner to have the room painted & decorated, especially if its the first time its been rented out.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :hug:

Latest posts

Back