Opportunity Knocks...Or does it.....??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't do it knowing that we need to save our industry but saying that there are probably lots of techs who would be willing to do it for the right price but personally I couldn't.

Personally I wouldn´t do it either. I can understand that it could be tempting/flattering when a big company asks YOU to demonstrate their products. And you can always think that if you say *no thanks* that they will look just look for someone else anyway and push it trough anyhow... BUT....
Do you want to be part of promoting the general public to get tempted into starting to do their own nails at home with a diy kit? I think like everyone else said that we need to protect our bussines and think of us nailtechs as one big chain of collegues that need to suppport each other by letting customers know that they should come to us to get the job done and not encourage them to start doing it themselves. It could turn out that they try the products, mess it up, get severe naildamage and turn forever away from any type of enhancement and start to talk how horrible it is to their friends, family and collegues. If you have your own customers and bussines build up over the years by your excellent work, service and professionalism it sends out a bad signal to them aswell saying, don´t worry you can actually do it yourself and save money :rolleyes:

This is just my opinion...

Haven't women been able to purchase things to do their nails for years? How many permanently damage their nails? The nail damage they might cause would not influence my decision to go for this so called 'opportunity' or not.

Whenever questions like this come up peeps say the same kinds of things .... they talk about what we do as if no one else but the trained can possibly do it etc etc ... well you know what? Plenty probably could!! Plenty probably do!!

My reasons for not doing what 'they' have proposed is that

1. No you will not get a say in the production (whatever they say) you will have little to no influence at all.

2. I would never rave about anything if it wasn't worth raving about!

3. I would not be associated with doing anything that would cause potential harm to the industry that I love.

The phrase "business is business" is one that I loath and detest ... because the implication is that anything you do is OK if it makes you money .. doesn't matter how much you 'bend' your principals ... doesn't matter who you stomp on to get what you want ... neither business or moral ethics count!! I would never use that phrase because the people that always do use it do so when they want to justify what they are doing is OK when deep down they know it is not.

The fact that you are even asking the questions shows me that somewhere you are not comfortable about doing this ...... I'd leave it alone. I wouldn't get stars in my eyes because it was some big company either ... they'll always find some other person to do the job and not give you a seconds thought.

Uuummm! I can probably guess who the 'big company' is and I would also guess that the gel nails include coloured gels?

I'm sure loads could be sold but I don't believe the technology is right yet for a retail version. It's not that easy to apply successfully, the soak off takes so long that the customer will pick it off i.e. damage and this is still a professional service and should stay there until or if a true retail version can be created.

As for nail kits that involve applying and blending of tips :eek: leave that to Rio

Thank you all for your views & thanks Laura for the spanner x

Just read your comment Marian.....lol no coloured Gel.....

Let us know what you decide to do x

Well Champs you know my opinion on this, and me being me I have never been afraid to say what I think.

I am with everyone 100% on the opinions and morals of this industry and the damage the DIY kits do to the industry and its reputation......so dont think for a second I am going back on this.

However morals dont pay the bills, morals dont provide a better life, and frankly life can be bleeding hard work at times, especially in this current economic climate. Beauty provides a stunning second income (if you work your butt off and are lucky) and when I say that I mean working as a therapist, not a trainer, or distributor (or anything else that I now cant think of!) However I know few therapists that make a great MAIN income from thier work.
Passion and Morals are wonderful qualities to have in a person, and make for fantastic passionate therapists which is exactly what we need.
But at the end of the day we all have our own lives to lead aside from this wonderful passion, we have bills mounting up, kids that want the latest gadgets, homes to look after, cars to maintain, social lifes to be had and so forth.
If I were champs I would go for it, it IS and opportunity, just because you are seen to back a product doesnt mean you believe in it, it means you believe in the pay cheque at the end of it.....I have represented many a company that frankly has been rubbish, why? Because they paid me well.......you talk the talk and walk off with your fee......

You only get one shot at life, its not a dress rehersal, and when your gone nobody will remember you for all your morals....nor will they stand back and go "oooh not her that sold those god awful nail products that damage your nails":lol:

I also would like to point out a fantastic entreprenaur of our times whom in my opinion looks at things from a business and kerching point of view as opposed to moralistically. This person is reknown for simply taking all the best products and reproducing them under his own name, for less money, they are prob not the best products but given he is a multi millionare I am pretty sure he isnt too fussed that coke is much better than virgin cola......Sir Richard Branson.....I take my hat of to ya!

Champs go for it, the skys the limit!!

Well................

I have contacted the company concerned and have voice my concerns regarding the safety aspects of DIY Gel nails, as this is my biggest worry. I would not be happy telling someone 'yeah you can do this its easy', I know full well its not. There are many H&S implications regarding this.

I personally do not believe that me promoting nail/beauty products will damage the whole industry or my business, my clients wouldnt come to me if they could do it themselves & many of them have tried. That is a personal opionion only !

It could be a great opportunity for me, Im not seeing stars, this is a promotion for a company that sells products, many of the big boys are out there on TV.

I have taken all of your comments on board and am well aware of the opinions/ passion/moral/personal etc etc

I havent made a decision as yet, but I am not taking this lightly.

Once again thanks for all the views & please dont let this thread get personal and nasty xx

However morals dont pay the bills, morals dont provide a better life, and frankly life can be bleeding hard work at times, especially in this current economic climate.
There, there )) You haven't lived in a society were 'morals' are virtually abscent, now have you?

There, there )) You haven't lived in a society were 'morals' are virtually abscent, now have you?

Lets not get personal please.....

Morals are very important & personal to each individual......but no...they don't pay the bills, I have had to do plenty of things in my life (outside work) that I didnt feel comfortable with, but did them to survive but this is not about that....

Lets not get personal please.....

Morals are very important & personal to each individual......but no...they don't pay the bills, I have had to do plenty of things in my life (outside work) that I didnt feel comfortable with, but did them to survive but this is not about that....

Exactly becuase it's a personal matter I think it's important to avoid far-reaching statements of that sort.
Besides I think this thread is partially about morals. Has turned out to be. There's no denying the fact.

As for me I've written my oppinion that I don't regard this as a danger to professional business. Many people can't apply a coat of nail-varnish without messing it all up...

Quite another thing, however, is giving people the idea they can do it if, in fact, they can't. Who will be responsible for their safety? That's the biggest question.

On the one hand the company bears responsibility deffinitely, on the other - you won't be selling to kids...
Where does this place you in terms of responsibility - I don't know..
You are a big girl too.
Good luck!

Where does this place you in terms of responsibility - I don't know..
You are a big girl too.
Good luck!

I have emailed the company and voiced my concerns regarding the H&S/Application/Removal implications and will further discuss this with them.

Find out as much as you can about you place and role in it.
Don't be easy meat ;) for them.

Thing is Im viewing this from the perspective of champs and her opportunities, I sincerely hope the safe salon revolution kicks off but I sincerely dont believe it ever will, there have always been diy kits in the hair and beauty world and this will always annoy professionals.

I think sometimes in life we have to gain a little perspective and see things for WHAT they really are, giving my kids the best possible life matters far more to me than people using DIY kits, and if endorsing these products meant my kids would have a good life I would do it.

Champs alone by not accepting this offer will not save the beauty industry, :lol: perspective and clarity here, what she stands to gain is huge, what she stands to lose is nothing really is it??

Life is short and precious, enjoy every second, this is not about starting a revolution......

Champs alone by not accepting this offer will not save the beauty industry, :lol: perspective and clarity here, what she stands to gain is huge, what she stands to lose is nothing really is it??

Put it this way - if Champagne doesn't take advantage of this opportunity, then someone else almost certainly will. And perhaps someone who doesn't have the high respect for the industry as Champagne does herself. So, to me, it makes sense for Champagne to do it, especially if she is going to question issues around health and safety etc, as opposed to someone else who might just carry on regardless and turn a blind eye to issues like that...
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok

Here goes lol

After expressing my concerns regarding:

The H&S
The Education
The Training
The Prep/Application/Removal
The Aftercare and Company Support
My Professional Status
The Public/Professional selling debate
And my personal feelings that a professional product is just that ...professional..

The company involved had also decided that DIY gel nails is not the way to go & the implications of selling this to the general public would be a bad move...and agreed that professional products will be sold as just that.

As for the other items, I am going to the meeting to find out more & I hope to go ahead and promote the nail & beauty accessories on behalf of the company.

This is an opportunity for me & I dont feel able to pass it by and regret it.

I thank you all for your views & honesty on the subject, and yes I do have morals hence the soul searching that has gone into making the right decision for me x

Latest posts

Back