Our rights - Advice pls!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beauty28

Reaction score
Hiya,
I just wonder how you will handle this situation (want to prepare myself if this ever happen):
If your competitor booked an appointment with you as customer (without letting you know she is a beauty therapist as well), to check what you are using and pricelist. You only found out when she turned up at your door, will you treat her or can you turn her down.
Also do we have right to say NO to people due to personal reason..... Please advise. I know sound like a bit dumb. Sorry for the silly question but as I’m still new to this business, just want to know more about our right. Don’t want to get into any trouble.
Thanks in advance!

I would treat her as any other client, you know you are good at what you do and do the best job you can :) let your knowledge and professionalism shine through.

Another side to this question is what us as therapists wanted to go somewhere else for a treatment? not to be nosey, just to be pampered....wouldn't you want to be treated just like a normal client? :hug:

I would treat her as any other client but maybe you too could learn from her and are being given an opportunity to discuss products treatments and the whole business that you share. She must be concerned or curious perhaps due to positive client feedback she has heard about you. This could work for you both in other ways and may well be a positive experience "cards on the table" so to speak. If you are confident & good at your treatments this can only be a reflection on your work and let her see that you are really good at your job and not afraid of competition. On the other hand if there is bad karma between you it may be an opportuity to get to know each other on a more personel level and not see each other as a threat. She & you will get to know of each others choice of products and treatments etc in many other ways. I would be confident & friendly. :hug:.

I would consider it unprofessional not to treat her, and it could also risk a "scene" in your salon if she has a mardy if you refused to treat her (which would not look good in front of your other clients)!

I would only consider it suitable to refuse to treat clients is if there is a hygiene or medical reason, or if you feel physically threatened by them, or if they have behaved badly during a previous treatment, or have had a history of no-shows or late cancellations. But refusing treatment on account of them also being a salon professional or owner would not be a suitable reason in my book.

I have a friend to whom I go for beauty treatments, and whenever I ring her to ask she groans and says "but you're so picky, lynne, and I worry that I won't be good enough"
It invariably is more than good enough, but it makes her raise her game, and you should use this opportunity to make sure your treatments, and her experience, are up to the mark.

I have had lots of therapists through my door as a client,
most have been honest about it, some are even geeks,
i don't mind in the slightest,
it is nice to have someone who is on the same wave length for a chat about the industry,
the ones that haven't told me have always slipped up and i find out before the end of the treatment, we usually have a laugh about it,
the ones that are there on a spying mission, well i see it as a compliment as they must be worried about something,

Ruth (rebelrebel) is right, it is nice to have a treatment yourself some times,
don't worry about it and just take it in your stride when it happens,
don't refuse to treat them as they have one up on you then, better to treat them and get to know them a bit,
who knows you may even become friends, hth :hug:

Don't worry so much, you will enjoy it. Just be upfront and honest and you will get on fine. I have had lots of therapists come to me, some for a look and some just for a break. This can be a lonely business and it is good to make friends in the trade. :) xx

My best friend is my biggest competition in my area and we met through our salons.

I wouldn't worry you know how good you are and if she's coming to be nosey then she must have something she wants to find out.

I had a local salon owner who used to make appointments to see how busy i was then not show up or ring or anything now this to me screams childish but also shows how unproffessional she is!

Alot of my regular waxing and tanning clients are local salon owners aswell, and it's great because you can keep up to date with what everyones doing and how busy/quiet they are etc, just because we are in the same business doesn't mean we can't support each other or be friends.

If you worked in Tescos, do you think Sainsburys would ban you?

We have quite a few hairdressers and therapists come to us for treatments. I dont really care if they are just blacking their noses as they pay their bills like any other client. Be confident in your treatments!!
I wouldn't book, or allow to book anyone who has behaved badly towards me, my staff or my salons. No need to be nasty, a firm "I'm sorry but I think it's best you find another salon" usually does the trick.

Definitely do the client. I've done loads of other therapists. Some people don't feel comfortable having a treatment in their own salon, for personal reasons or because its easy not to put your all into the treatment.

Also, i work on my own and i like to have treatments done, but i wouldn't tell them what i do unless they ask, purely because it seems to make people nervous. xx

i Have 2 nail techs who come to me for nails and other treatments. it doesnt bother me in the slightest.

I also know that we have had several local competitors in since we opened, i see it as a challenge and only had one make a bit of a scene when paying (she said our pedis were overpriced for what they were). I stood my ground, said i give a fab pedi, use lovely products and give my customers my all. she left in a mood but I was not too bothered. I have lots of ladies and a few gents in for pedis and have always had great feedback and repeat business.

tigi

The law stands as this I beleive: If you offer 'drop in' appointments then no you cannot refuse to serve or treat anyone unless its unlawful too or it would put you or the person at risk.

As most salons work on an 'appointment only' basis you can choose who you treat and when. This can also be resolved by making clients become members of your salon by signing up to some special offer scheme or loyalty scheme. In this case, if you become private members only you can in affect ban people legally!

This country has some pretty bizarre laws. Thats just my sisters view point on it when I had a client that was trouble. I operated on the appointment only theme and refused to treat her.

I would treat my competitors the same as any other client though. It could be genuine. I mean you can hardly relax having a treatment in your own salon!

It also works both ways. If your nice to her she will not feel threatened or try to harm your business as much as she may do if your not so nice.

When I had my salon, lots of my competitors visited me, they paid me so I didnt care, it was money in my till! There was only one salon we never saw eye to eye with but the rest we worked together. If we were fully booked we recomended our clients to other salons. Same went if we didnt offer a certain treatment. Other salons alos then sent their customers to us.

Not all clients put their eggs in one basket. Some will have a facial in one salon, a set of nails at another and their waxing somewhere else. Theres plenty of room for us all!

I personally would agree with everyone's comments.
I've been to a salon where the owner knew i was a therapist, it made me more determine to be even better at my job because everything i saw i was appalled at, the wax pot was dirty, she had no couch roll or cover on the couch, she let me fill in my consultation card but didn't check it herself.I didn't see her wash her hands, the list goes on, this was her opportunity to sell herself but it just made me feel a whole lot better about my job and techniques etc.
So prove yourself if this situation is ever to arise.

I've been to other salons since and not told them i am a therapist and certainly haven't been back, because again their procedures and lack of consultations appalled me, its such a shame that such salons/therapists exist.

In the situation where a therapist booked in with me, yeah i admit i would be nervous but its the perfect chance to prove myself,just be confident, like the geeks say it might be the start of a very good business friendship

Couple of months ago I had a fellow Geek call me for a tan and she mentioned at booking that she was a therapist and geek.
I have to admit i was a little nervous before appointment but actually what happened is that she got a tan and then showed me her technique for spray tanning as we were both very different in our approaches so it was a learning curve.

I think its good business sense to actively welcome other therapists. In fact it was only a week or two ago the same therapist came on here desperate to borrow a spray tan machine as her's had broken midway through a party. As I had previously met her I was happy to help out and lend her mine. I know this will be recipocated should i ever need it.

Yes we are each others competition in the same town but I believe there are enough clients for us all and there is always plenty to learn from each other.

:hug:

I, too agree with everything said. I love having treatments myself and sometimes find it hard finding somewhere to go, i don't tell them i'm a therapist unless they ask - mainly because i want a relaxing treatment and don't want to chit chat. If you pick up some tips along the way - then great! x

ive done a lot of my competitors nails and a few geeks too, one of my competitors i even trained and taught her all i know only to have her open up a stones throw away from my salon...... Not that it bothers me it keeps me on my toes and makes me up my game.

If your good at your job and you know your product inside out just be yourself and you would be fine :)

Latest posts

Back