Oval/Almond polished gel nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ValencianNails

Positivity rules!
Reaction score
This is a quick tutorial to show you how to do oval/almond shaped gel nails.

(Sorry the pics are a bit small, they were done using my daughter's camera phone as my camera had run out of battery :o)!

For these nails I'm using Creative products from start to finish... let's assume that you've already prepped the nails to your particular brand recommendations, applied a sculpting form or a tip and blended in and also applied any bonder/primer needed as well as your initial layer of gel and cured according to your brand recommendations.

I've used a blue 'Performance' sculpting form as I'm using clear gel, if I were using white gel then I would have used clear forms to ensure a full cure of the gel.

1. Place your bead of gel, I prefer to lay mine in a 'log shape' down the nail.

2. Tease the gel upwards to zone 3, out to the sides and also down to zone 1.

3. Using a little more gel, string the gel in a line from zone 3 to zone 1, creating a 'line' down the length of the nail, this will give you a more beautiful shape when you've buffed/finished. Refine the shape of the nail (in this case oval/almond shape) with your brush, this will save on filing time after curing and also save in filing unnecessary product :wink2:
Do a full cure to whichever amount of time your gel brand recommends.

4. Remove the inhibition layer.

5. File to shape. Using a 180 grit, buff to shape, or use whichever grit is recommended for your gel system.

6. Once buffed using finer graded buffers, remove dust, apply Solar Oil and massage into the nail and surrounding skin. Remove any oil residue. You are now ready to apply your chosen basecoat, enamel and top coat.

7. A sideview of the finished nail.

8. Voila... a Brisa sculpted nail with Stickey basecoat, Company Red enamel and Super Shiney top coat :green:

Attachments

• 1 Laying bead of gel.JPG
    1 Laying bead of gel.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,528
  • 2 Move gel to correct placement.JPG
    2 Move gel to correct placement.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 2,447
  • 3 String the gel pulling towards the free edge.JPG
    3 String the gel pulling towards the free edge.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,214
  • 4 Remove inhibition layer.JPG
    4 Remove inhibition layer.JPG
    11.7 KB · Views: 1,277
  • 5 Filing and buffing to finish.JPG
    5 Filing and buffing to finish.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,825
  • 6 Ready for enamel.JPG
    6 Ready for enamel.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 3,670
  • 7 Sideview.JPG
    7 Sideview.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,992
  • 8 Company red and Super Shiney.JPG
    8 Company red and Super Shiney.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 20,984
Last edited:
Brilliant tutorial, thanks Sandi xxx

Fantasic Thanks
xxx

thanks sandi,excellent tutorial and the pics were quite good considering you were using a phone camera.
you make it look so easy so im going to have to try this method as i dont really sculpt.
thanks again hun the nail looked lush.xx

Brilliant Sandi :)

Thank you Sandi for the Tutorial, I so appreciate beautiful, natural looking enhancements.:):hug:

Great tut! Thanks for posting it! :hug:

Really useful tutorial, thankyou x

Excellent Sandi ... thanks :hug: xx

I'm no nail geek but I have sets on regularly - just wanted to say I think these look amazing...well done!

really lovely looking nail x

I like these! Thank you for the step by step! :hug:

You're welcome, thanks :D

I was hoping to do a new Shellac step by step today but time got the better of me so it'll have to wait until tomorrow/Friday :wink2:

Latest posts

Back