Paid for an advert and its not in . . . what to do!?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi All

Just wondered if anyone else has been in this position cos i don't know what to do.

I paid for an advert in our local police diary for 2009, thought it would be a good idea as i was told it went to all the police and related staff as well. Anyhow i've been chasing and chasing Diamond Media about getting a copy of it and have been fobbed off with one excuse after another about why i haven't recieved my copy.

So when a police woman came into the shop i asked her if she had a copy she said she did and surprise, surprise our advert isn't in it.

I've written to Diamond Media asking for my money back as the advert i paid isn't in said diary but have heard nothing. I don't know whether i should contact the police?? or go through small claims court to get money back or what any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Nik

I think you have been scammed hun. I used to get loads of calls asking for me to advertise for different "charities". They usually start by saying that they spoke to you a few months ealier and the design is ready now blah blah blah. I could be wrong, and hope I am but it sounds like a scam to me. xx

What does it say in the contract about where it will be advertised?
I've often heard of these ads being placed in wall planner "diaries" as opposed to the pocket/A5 diaries.
I fear also that you may have been scammed :(

Hi

You have been scammed when I first started up I got loads of calls from people saying that they were bringing out a booklet on behalf of the police etc but my friend works in the local police force and this is a HUGE SCAM.

Sorry you have been ripped off

:mad::mad::mad:

These people are a total nightmare! The amount of calls I've had for adverts in diaries, wallplanners, on doctors appointment cards, colleges etc. And each time they can't send me a sample of what I am advertising in.

I'd call your local trading standards, also did you pay by Credit card? If so call your credit card issuer ... there are certain protections you get from them, not sure if this will be covered but definately worth a call.

Really sorry to hear this has happened, but please come back and let us know how it gets resolved so others can be helped.

Mat

Hi there I have been getting lots of calls about advertising in similar charity mags saying its to do with Fire and Rescue services, I once googled the number and a bit page come up about them being scams.

Try googling the number of the so called company and see what happens.

Here is an interesting passage taken from a forum

There was a legitimate one of these a few years ago, I seem to recall the company was called Diamond Media, and I advertised in it - a wall calendar that was being distributed by the local police to all houses in the locality. It went quite well, but every year since then I've been getting unsolicited calls from other companies asking me to buy a 'sponsorship ad' (retired firefighters & such-like) in 'one-off' things like diaries, calendars etc. In every case I've checked out the organisation being sponsored do not know the company involved - it's just a scam & the usual line is 'you get an extra 10% off if you pay now by debit card' - that's the point at which I cut them off. There may well be legitimate ones out there but, as mentioned, Google the company and also ask for a back copy of the publication to see what you get for your money.

Although this person is saying they are legit, You could have had a person impersonating the company.

How did you pay? if with credit card you can dispute the transaction.

there are loads of these about - even the ones that get printed are usually pretty poor quality, and go out to god knows who (likely a big yellow storage facility).

Get onto them, and make sure you get re-funded. As you are not in they don't have a leg to stand on, business link can give you free time with a solicitor - used to be called 'lawyers for your business', try that if you get no joy from the company.

A good way to work is that if you have never seen the publication yourself then don't advertise in it!!

I have recieved lots of call from a uposed police charity trying to sell advertising space, they were not too pleasant when I said no either! So I asked a friend of ours who is a policeman and he says the publication doesn't even exist - so be careful and always ask to see a copy first. They seem to think that because they say it is for the police then it must be legitimate, but it's just your normal ole scam.

I would go to Trading Standards because they have a list of businesses that run this scam and then at least you will know if you have a right of recovery. David from BABTAC is right- Lawyers for Business does actually still exist (we are on it!) or I would be happy to chat about it as part of our Salon Lawyer programme for free anyway

Hi All

Just wondered if anyone else has been in this position cos i don't know what to do.

I paid for an advert in our local police diary for 2009, thought it would be a good idea as i was told it went to all the police and related staff as well. Anyhow i've been chasing and chasing Diamond Media about getting a copy of it and have been fobbed off with one excuse after another about why i haven't recieved my copy.

So when a police woman came into the shop i asked her if she had a copy she said she did and surprise, surprise our advert isn't in it.

I've written to Diamond Media asking for my money back as the advert i paid isn't in said diary but have heard nothing. I don't know whether i should contact the police?? or go through small claims court to get money back or what any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Nik

Do diamond media have an address? If it's local to you go and demand your money back in person...

Diamond Media got me too. I am currently sueing them for misrepresentation. They are a nasty company. I do have the diary and the advert is appaling but they are relying on you doing nothing. My lawyer is suing them and I will have to appear in court in Liverpool (as thats where they're based) but he reckons they won't even turn up as its only £120, but I want costs as well/

They are heartless buggers and don't give a s**t about you and will ignore your calls and letters. I would suggest a lawyer honey - I can recomend a good one! :irked:

But all of these are in the Wirral. In my previous role I had calls about wallplanners, diaries and handbooks for 9 different companies, all seemingly from the same call centre.

I used to transfer them to the Polish guy we had working in the IT department - that used to confuse them....he found it quite amusing too (I told him not to speak a word of English when I passsed these calls through :) ).

Latest posts

Back