PAT Testing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkgirlie

Reaction score
Hi

I need to get my wax heater, UV lamp, mag lamp and extension lead PAT tested. What is everyone else paying? Someone quoted me £12.50 per item, which I feel is a little excessive.

Thanks
:smack:

That's only £50. Which for the services of an electrician isn't bad at all. x

That's only £50. Which for the services of an electrician isn't bad at all. x

I happen to know that same company charges some else £5 per item for her bits, that's why I'm asking

Any particular reason why they charge her less? Favour? Friend? More items?

All you can do is ask if they can give you a better quote.

Any particular reason why they charge her less? Favour? Friend?

Think her bf uses them too. They focus on industrial tools mainly. I'm going to shop around, just wanted a feel for what other's pay. As I am setting up and have spent a fortune on materials, advertising ... funds are low :Scared:. If that's a fair price, then so be it! x

I use a self employed pat tester he charges £4 per device xx

Stupid question, but if you're 'setting up' are you using new or old equipment? It doesnt need to be tested til 12 months. (you probably already know that but just in case!)

Don't quite me on this but I don't think it is a legal requirement unless over a certain amount of employees, and as long as you are competent person to check items, you can do it yourself.
I don't think you have to be an electrician to test.

Stupid question, but if you're 'setting up' are you using new or old equipment? It doesnt need to be tested til 12 months. (you probably already know that but just in case!)

I purchased my wax heater about 14 mths ago, so over 12 mths old. Other items are maybe another year older. I know my new Minx lamp doesn't need testing. My equip has only been used a handful of times, so are in very good condition. x

Don't quite me on this but I don't think it is a legal requirement unless over a certain amount of employees, and as long as you are competent person to check items, you can do it yourself.
I don't think you have to be an electrician to test.

I thought you had to get equipment safety tested for insurance to be valid?????? :rolleyes:

you do need to get your equipment pat tested for insurance especially if you are mobile and going in to peoples houses. If I remember rightly my husband only charges £3 - £4 per item to test so £50 is toooooooooo excessive.

You don't need to be an electrician necessarily, but you do need to be have your PAT certification.

found one :)

£4 an item, they label and give you a report :biggrin:

Thank you everyone

I got a phone call from a company last week trying hard to get me 2 use them, £90! She kept going on and on until I finally hung up on her, pushy sales people really p*ss me off, especially when they ring from with-held numbers......GRRRRR!
I'm going to ring round and find a local company, can any electrician carry this out?x

Luckily my boyfriends brother is a sparky so he will do everything for a tenner or something daft like that.

I haven't seen anything on insurance sites saying anything about electrical equipment though?

Must be hidden in the small print?!

We supplied some new hood dryers to a college, they had them PAT tested as a matter of course and one failed due to an earthing issue...so maybe not such a bad idea after all!

Not any electrician can do it; you have to have got your cert in it. As I mentioned it is not a prequisite of the course to be an electrician.

I got a phone call from a company last week trying hard to get me 2 use them, £90! She kept going on and on until I finally hung up on her, pushy sales people really p*ss me off, especially when they ring from with-held numbers......GRRRRR!
I'm going to ring round and find a local company, can any electrician carry this out?x

as long as they have a PAT cert and the equipment x

In my office we get charged £2 per item. That seemed like the average when I looked around!

I was advised today that even NEW items need to be PAT tested! So my Minx lamp has gone too! Better to be safe than sorry :| x

Latest posts

Back