Patch testing for eyelash extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shellyba

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just wondering if I've got patch testing right

I do the test atleast 24 hours before a treatment

...I place a lash on the outer corner of each eye, but was wondering, could you just stroke a natural lash with the adhesive, you want to test?

What if someone has a reaction? I tell clients to call my mobile if they do have reaction and I will meet them at the clinic to remove the patch test - what do you all do?

Thanks for any responses

Shel x

Hi Guys

Just wondering if I've got patch testing right

I do the test atleast 24 hours before a treatment

...I place a lash on the outer corner of each eye, but was wondering, could you just stroke a natural lash with the adhesive, you want to test?

What if someone has a reaction? I tell clients to call my mobile if they do have reaction and I will meet them at the clinic to remove the patch test - what do you all do?

Thanks for any responses

Shel x

Hi Shel

Strangely enough I was taught to patch test using some of the glue on the inside of the arm 24/48 hours before, however, I know for sure that in theory the glue should never touch the skin, so many techs do as you do which is to do a lash either side. However, if they have a reaction I wouldnt know what to suggest as I dont patch test like yourself. What you are doing, by getting them to call you and removing the lash immediately is, imo, all you can really do.

Gosh its a difficult one and I know its an ongoing deliberation among techs patch testing.

Dont think thats much help Im afraid, but didnt want to ignore you :hug::hug:

I patch test behind the ear as the skin is very thin there too.

I would be concerned patch testing on the eye incase of a reaction and eye becoming inflammed and sore.

Hope this helps.

Annette x:lol:

I wouldnt want to actually place the adhesive near the eye, I patch test the adhesive, the sealer and remover in three different places behind the ear no more than 48 hours before the treatment.

tigi
xxxxxxx

As the glue is never meant to touch the skin, you could get a reaction if it goes on skin.
How did your training company tell you to patch test?

I patch test by applying the lash cleanser to one area of the natural lashes, then apply a lash with the adhesive to the outer lash, the on the other eye I apply the lash remover to the natural lashes in the same way as I would if removing the extension lash.

By doing it this way, you can tell what the client is allergic to if there is any kind of reaction.

hth's xx

Sorry, I dont think I explained myself very well...

I place a lash (on a natural lash, not the skin) on the outer corner of each eye, atleast 24 hours before a treatment...was toadvised to do this by a trainer that I buy products from, its also the time to check th eclients lashes for size and shape that you would want to apply.

I also thought a PT would be behind the ear, as in tint PT or on the inner side of the elbow, but

Im still wondering, if doing it this way, could you just stroke a natural lash with the adhesive, you want to test?

I actually trained with Nouveau last year and I cant remember covering patch testing in the training- think Ill call one of the lash trainers on Monday - to check

Thanks Shel xx

I trained with Nouveau and they say there is no need to patch test.
I did query this with them and they said that as the product is not touching the skin then there is no need to patch test. The girl i spoke to did say though, if you had a client that you knew had allergies then you could always patch test them for your own peace of mind.
Some companies say to patch test and some don't.
I do think that you should do what you are comfortable with. If you are more comfortable patch testing then patch test.

Deffo patch test even though the product should not touch the eye, there is no guarentee!!

A.x:)

Patch testing is one of these things that is talked about a lot on here. I was told to patch test by applying 2 lashes to the outer corner of each eye.
Some people are now testing by applying to the skin. I think that if you are patch testing then, it is best to at least apply a couple of lashes as sometimes it is the vapours that bother people, rather than them being allergic. A lot of techs frown at applying directly to the skin.
I suppose you really just have to follow the advice of the glue manufacturer as they all have differing advice with regards to this. Some say skin test, some say lash test and others say no test lol.
Not sure about just stroking the lash with glue, I just always put a couple of lashes on xx

I was taught that you dont need to patch test as the adhesive doesnt touch the skin, however I had a lady who I put one lash on and said her eye was nipping, thinking it may be the gel pads i asked her where it hurt and she pointed to the one lash that was on. I now patch test on the inside of the elbow, I have had people with reactions to the adhesive to the remover but mostly it is the gel pads that my clients have the reactions to.

Annie

It is important to follow the manufacturers advice and also check what your insurance company insists on to make sure that you are covered in the event of a claim.

I patch test by popping in a couple of short lashes on one eye and applying a tiny bit of debonder, sealant onto lashes on the other eye - takes only a minute. That way all the products have been tested in the areas that they will be used on. It is possible that the adhesive will irritate the skin anyway giving a false positive test so I prefer to test it where it will be used during the treatment.

Sometimes there doesnt have to be direct contact for a client to react to a product, and as I am working around the eyes and a reaction to a product around the eyes could be quite significant I personally will not carry out a treatment without patch testing and my staff cannot either.

i trained with flirties and when i asked about testing i said so you'd test like doing a tint test and she said that or inside elbow then said that glue shouldn't really touch the skin anyway so it shouldn't be a problem *shrug* i've also read on here about not testing like that but to put a few lashes on like you said you did. i would get in touch with your trainer and ask what's best, atleast then you know for certain.x

the patch test argument has come up on here again and again, there are many different companies all have different policies when it comes to patch testing and then your insurance company may have their own preference, the way flirties patch test is to apply 1 or 2 lashes to the outer corner of the eye, 24hr prior to treatment this would be done at the initial consultation, if your client doesnt have time for you to patch test i would ask them to sign a disclaimer to accept that not taking a patch test is their decision and that you accept no responsibility for them not having one.

i guess flirties must have changed their teaching because i certainly wasn't shown any other way apart from applying the glue to the skin. x

flirties havn't changed the way they train I was trained a year or so ago and I was told to attach a couple of lashes. I tried out a salon to see what their lashes were like and they stuck a blob of glue behind my ear where I have a patch of psoriasis that did nothing except stick my ear to my head and I had a black patch behind my ear on my psoriasis for a while.

flirties havn't changed the way they train I was trained a year or so ago and I was told to attach a couple of lashes. I tried out a salon to see what their lashes were like and they stuck a blob of glue behind my ear where I have a patch of psoriasis that did nothing except stick my ear to my head and I had a black patch behind my ear on my psoriasis for a while.

really? how strange that i wasn't told that at all and i had my training a few months ago with them :s kinda worried now what to do when it comes to testing? do i stick to what i was taught or this other way that flirties teach? :s

like i said i asked if it was like a tint test behind ear and was told that or in crease of elbow :\

x

patch test as described, a couple of lashes on the outer corner of the eye 24 hrs to treatment.

pity that method wasn't taught when i had my flirties training :( x

I was taught not to patch test either as no products touch the skin. At the bottom of my consultation form where the client signs it says about not patch testing for this reason and are they happy to go ahead.
The only product that actually touches the skin is the gel pad and how do you patch test for that? Let them walk round for 24 hours with one stuck behind their ear? Lol!
I think it's just best to go with what your training says.

I offer a free consultation were I go through the following –
Consent form
What happens during treatment
What they need to do before and after
What they would like there lashes to look like
Size up lashes (saves time)
Patch test everything I would use during a treatment
Then confirm appointment and take deposit :green:

Latest posts

Back