Patch Testing for Lash Extensions (Again.....)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elliebee

Reaction score
I know we've debated this lots in the past but I have a bit of a different question for you experts and hope you can help.

I ALWAYS patch test - no exceptions. And I do it by attaching a couple of lashes to each eye.

However........................

I am attending a big promo evening next week where I will be doing threading for the guests. It's a great opportunity and, obviously, I will be talking to the clients about lashes while I have them in my chair. MWAHAHAHA

Anyhoo,,,,,, I would love to patch test there and then but don't think that girls who are glammed up for a night out will let me remove their mascara to apply a few test lashes (it's also a bit time consuming)

So my question is, can I patch the glue behind the ear even tho my training provider didn't teach this method.

Will I be covered by insurance as long as I patch test in some way?

Cheers girlies

xx

My initial thought is that as the glue is not meant to touch the skin and the sensitivity we are looking for is around the eyes that this would not work. Can't you just remove mascara on one outside lash on each side and drop on the lash without too much fuss. You don't need the lash to last for weeks. Make sure to get their details so you remember who you patch tested!!

My initial thought is that as the glue is not meant to touch the skin and the sensitivity we are looking for is around the eyes that this would not work.

Thanks Weezie,

I know that AH Francis advise patch testing behind the ear which is why I was thinking I could do it that way for speed and convenience.

The organisers have asked me along to do threading so I think I will have to be seen to be doing this all night. I don't want to be taking too much time with the patch tests so hoped i could just do a wee quick dab behind the ear then have a record card for the client showing that the patch test was done.

I really dont think removing a bit of mascara at the corner and applying a few lashes will work because of how busy I will be so was just looking for alternatives to make it as easy as possible for new clients to book in for lashes after the Big Event.

Have made up lots of client cards for them to fill in and will be giving a 10% discount for anyone who attends and subsequently books an appointment.

My advice would be to do the lash test, as this is the way you have been trained. the trouble is, if you do a skin test, the client books in, and then reacts, you wouldnt have a leg to stand on. if you lash test her and she still reacts after treatment, then you have taken the precautions that your training requires
Its a tricky one eh? All us HD Brow therapists now have to patch test before every single brow treatment, even if they have had the HD Brow treatment a zillion times. now thats a pain, but we wouldnt be covered on insurance if we didnt and someone reacted. Its all getting a little scarey now we are apparently, becoming a nation of "no win no fee" law suits:Scared:

You could just remove mascara from a few of the outer lashes using a couple of microbrushes and therefore not touching the rest of their makeup. A little bit of tape on the outer corner to hold the lower lashes out the way. That way make up is easily touched up after xx

It's amazing that HD Brows are part of the Nouveau beauty group and even though you have to patch test every time for HD Brows, you don't have to patch test at all for Nouveau lashes!

It's amazing that HD Brows are part of the Nouveau beauty group and even though you have to patch test every time for HD Brows, you don't have to patch test at all for Nouveau lashes!

This is so true Angelina. Although HD Brows did say it depends on your insurance requirements and the one they recommended only need first time. I guess it's just to cover everyone's backs, in case someone reacts.

Well I was at the HD Brow pre-launch day and there seemed to be a bit of confusion! The insurance company, which I think was Holistic Insurance, said that you have to offer it but don't have to do it if they refuse. HD Brows said they still think it best to patch test every time. I don't really want to take out extra insurance just to cover what is basically a tint and wax and especially since the insurance with them is rather high! Also it is not practical to patch test every time. I know we can send the HD Brow patch tests out to clients but then that's the added cost of the test, the stamp and the envelope and not to mention the extra time!
Nouveau say you don't have to patch test for lash extensions as it doesn't touch the skin. This is true but we've all had those clients that fall asleep during their treatment and then suddenly twitch in their sleep just as your about to put a lash on and hey presto, product is on the skin! I'm lucky I haven't had anyone's eye out yet as it usually makes me jump-lol

I think its all a bit of a grey area though eh?
Apparently, in the not too distant future, we are going to have to patch test ALL of the advanced lash glues. We are going to have to employ someone just to do all the blooming patch tests lol:lol:

Well I was at the HD Brow pre-launch day and there seemed to be a bit of confusion! The insurance company, which I think was Holistic Insurance, said that you have to offer it but don't have to do it if they refuse. HD Brows said they still think it best to patch test every time. I don't really want to take out extra insurance just to cover what is basically a tint and wax and especially since the insurance with them is rather high! Also it is not practical to patch test every time. I know we can send the HD Brow patch tests out to clients but then that's the added cost of the test, the stamp and the envelope and not to mention the extra time!
Nouveau say you don't have to patch test for lash extensions as it doesn't touch the skin. This is true but we've all had those clients that fall asleep during their treatment and then suddenly twitch in their sleep just as your about to put a lash on and hey presto, product is on the skin! I'm lucky I haven't had anyone's eye out yet as it usually makes me jump-lol

This is how I took it - HD Brows recommends patch testing before every treatment. The Holistic insurance company, they recommended, requires patch test for first time clients, so just not every time. I would strongly advise patch test first time or no treatment, not just offering.

Your right, it is a pain and an extra expense every time. It is a normal brand tint, which I have used for tinting on occasions, prior to doing the HDs. So that leaves it open to question as to whether insurance companies require patch testing prior to each tinting treatment and hair colour, not just HD Brows.

Check with your insurance company honey, last year I was insured by Salon Gold, they didn't require patch testing prior to every treatment, just the first. BUT, they wouldn't insure me for these colourstart patch tests that HD Brows are offering. They said if you post it out or give it away with them, how do you know they have done the patch test, signing a form to say they had done it wasn't enough. I suggested, if the client applied the patch test and got me to remove it on the day of treatment, but they said it wasn't covered because how do you know it they haven't just put it on 10 minutes before they came in! So they said no to the colourstart patch tests.

I guess you just can't win! Check with your insurance company anyway. xxx

what ever you do > DO NOT PUT BEHIND EAR if these glues we use can burn holes in materials can you imagine what they can do to skin.
also patch testing, most of my my customers that have had a reaction have had one after a year or so including me (bummer) and some after the second or third or forth, you never know when it happens until your body tells you its ready, so then what, you patch test a few lashes then do the real lash session and they react. we shouldnt be using glues near eyes full stop, but we do coz like me we are all lash addicts now xx and yes i still have mine done, i only swell up slightly and not every time xx

Hello all. I am from Colourstart and have been directed to this site to answer any questions about the product. In particular, insurance. I'd be delighted to answer any further questions you may have.

On insurance... the :!:OFFICIAL POSITION:!: is that Colourstart carries £1 million Public & Products Liability Insurance. This policy has been extended to cover damages, compensation and legal costs for any claims against a Salon for bodily injury arising out of the failure of Colourstart to perform its intended function provided that the product is used strictly in accordance with the manufacturers instructions.

Does this help?

Hello all. I am from Colourstart and have been directed to this site to answer any questions about the product. In particular, insurance. I'd be delighted to answer any further questions you may have.

On insurance... the :!:OFFICIAL POSITION:!: is that Colourstart carries £1 million Public & Products Liability Insurance. This policy has been extended to cover damages, compensation and legal costs for any claims against a Salon for bodily injury arising out of the failure of Colourstart to perform its intended function provided that the product is used strictly in accordance with the manufacturers instructions.

Does this help?

Erm, No?! Seems like you are simply promoting your own product.

I'm not sure how this product would be of any benefit to patch testing for lash extensions (or HD brows).

Surely we need to be patch testing clients with the products that will actually be used for insurance to be valid?

Last edited:
I was trained to patch test eye products on the crease of the elbow and if any redness occurs then they can't have it done. x

Does this help?
HD Brows actually used Colourstart patch tests to start with and I wasn't happy about this and said so. I don't want to patch test my clients with a generic test, I want to patch test them with the exact product that I am going to be using. Obviously HD Brows think the same as their patch tests are just for their products now.
I've never seen the point of the colourstart patch tests as isn't the whole idea of patch testing someone, that you actually patch test them with the product you are using! I personally would never use them.

Also the ingredients with in our products might be different from yours, there are so many different carriages with certain products, how would one know carriage for carriage xx does that make any sense lol

I'm very confused after reading this. I was told in my training to carry out the patch test behind the ear for eyelash extension!!!!!!

Elliebee I think your gonna have to go with whats going to be practical here. All of us are trained in so many diff ways again I was taught inner arm or behind ear my insurance covers who I trained with so thats what I go with and never had a problem x.

Yes, Colourstart is used by HD Brows for colour. You're right, Colourstart is not for lash extensions and the insurance covers you if you only if you follow the instructions (that the product is for colour only).

It's reasonable for me to respond to allyballybee's comments about Colourstart insurance. You are insured using Colourstart.

Does this help?

Hi Colourstart:)

I think the colourstart patch tests are a great idea, would love more confidence in using them as clients can't always make it into the salon for patch tests and the convenience aspect is great.

You say that insurance is valid provided that the product is used strictly in accordance with manufacturers instructions. However my insurance said they would question as to whether the client has actually done it, they could just say they have. They wouldn't accept my suggestion of the client signing to say they had. Then I suggested if they left the patch test on the skin and I removed it when they came in for their treatment. They wouldn't accept that either because they said the client could have just applied the patch test just 10 minutes before they come in.

So basically, manufacturers instructions are to apply 48 hours before, so if this wasn't done by client, even though you got them to sign to say they had, would the salon be covered by your insurance? (because it wouldn't be manufacturers instructions)

Sorry to sound persnickity, but it's my insurance that's made me like this!

Latest posts

Back