Paying staff for training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For my staff i normally pad for the training, travel, accommodation and dinner in the evening. I don't pay for lunch as this is the same as when working.

If the training is taking place in the salon i sometimes ask people if they want to do the training but explain it will be unpaid in advance and then some do and some don't depending on if their interested.

I do have a clause in the contract that they will repay costs if they leave within 12 months to go to another salon but in 9 years of business have never had to take action on this.

I think that you will find it a worthwhile investment as people are normally very motivated after training and will speak to lots of clients about the products and their training and generate more money for you. Also staff are a lot more likely to be loyal to you if they see you are investing in training for them.

If the training is taking place in the salon i sometimes ask people if they want to do the training but explain it will be unpaid in advance and then some do and some don't depending on if their interested.

If they are doing the training unpaid then this is a commitment on the part of the staff so to then ask to repay training costs if they leave I feel is not right.

I could understand it if you were paying them whilst on training. Training can be free with some companies dpending on the products bought so how can you expect someone to pay back costs if no costs are incurred?

Sorry i didn't say that very well. I don't ask them to repay the costs if they don't get paid only if they have to go away for training and we have paid. Also as we are based in the very north of Scotland even if the training is free we have considerable travel and accommodation costs to take into account.

I have never had any member of staff have a problem with this agreement and am clear about this when they start work. I have never actually asked anyone to repay the costs anyway and i imagine it would be quite hard to enforce legally.

Have you done the course? Can you not pass on your skills.....if they have at least level 2 beauty therapy they would be knowledgeable in facials so you would only have to introduce them to the new products, in my experience there is not much difference between skin care ranges...meaning they all have a cleanser, exfoliator, toner, moisturisers and a range of masks to suit different skin types....is it the skills or product knowledge you need them to have..or do they need the certificate to use the products within your salon

as to clauses in contracts...they are hard to enforce and unless you have mega bucks to throw away to a solicitor..who is going to pay for solicitors letters to your old employee asking for the money back...I certainly wouldnt waste my time or funds....also, bear in mind if dermalogica can authorise a salon in the same high street to use their products as well as a salon already using their products in the same street....what hope is there for you to say to an ex-employee you cant do this or do that within a certain range of where you are!

Clients will go where they choose to go...you have to be up todate with products and treat your clients and employees with respect, worry about yourself and your buisness

All of this is my own opinion so please dont take it personally

Last edited:
do you have a cluse in your contract to recover training costs if she leaves within a set period of completing the training,thi sis perfectly legal

Whenever this question is asked, I always think of it like this:-

If you worked in an office and they sent you on a course, you'd get your normal pay and expenses. I don't see that it should be any different when working in a salon. They're not asking to go on the course and it's to benefit your business.

Maybe you should ask yourself if they all really need to go on the course.

It's hard having your own biz isn't it, but you're doing so well LJ. xxx:hug:

I was just about to say this.

If my company want me to go on a training course, be it a day or a week, I expect them to pay for everything.

If I need to travel, they pay for it. If I need to stay over somewhere, they pay for it. If I need to eat, they pay for it. Simple as.

I will still get my same wage and if the training for some obscure reason goes over my hours, let's say for instance I work 8 hours a day, but the training lasts for 10 hours, then I get paid 2 hours overtime.

This is the way of business. As mentioned before, in theory, this training and knowledge she will bring back will benefit YOUR salon. You aren't sending her for the sheer thrill of it, you are sending her because you need her to gain the experience and product knowledge so this can be put into practice at YOUR salon.

It's quite common for employers to put a clause into their staff's contract which will state something like if they pay for training etc, but you were to leave withing X period of time having received that training, the employee is liable to pay back the full amount of the training.

If this is something you are concerned about, you should put that as a standard clause into your contracts when you take new staff on, regardless if you are going to send them on training or not. It will simply cover you in the event you do send them on training and no embarassing or difficult situations then.

Marlise

when I go training... just my personnal case and it's not the case for everyone around...

since it's anywhere in the world, the company pays everything, including plane, train, hotel, taxi, food, drinks, whatever you can think of.

depending on where it is I can go alone or with someone else with the same conditions.

I am paid normal, as if I were working.
if I need to bring a model (I am a nail tech) my model has the same conditions as above, but obviously she's not paid, except if she's a tech too and from my company.

I have worked in HR and as a Training Coordinator for some time and it is standard procedure to issue a specific legal agreement when someone undertakes a training course, to pay back the cost and expenses incurred for the course. This would reduce year by year by a specific percentage. These documents were prepared by a solicitor and when signed and witnesses were legally binding... HOWEVER...

They were not very enforceable. If someone leaves, which they have every right to do, and you request payment of the fees back, how far are you prepared to go to recover the costs. Given that the ultimate way to enforce this is by going to court and the costs of that would probably far outweight the cost of the initial course in the first place.

The organisation that I worked for (local authority department) actually scrapped it because it became a waste of time and resources issuing the contracts/agreements when they hardly ever got any money back and had no intention of taking anyone to court as that would defeat the object.

Just thought I'd let you have my experience on this aspect of it. :)

Latest posts

Back