Pedicure HELP (ingrown toenails)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailglitter

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is my first time posting, but have been reading for awhile.
I have given hundreds of pedicures, but none like this!!! yikes...
How do I cut ingrown toenails?
Any pedicure advice would be helpful.
I have scheduled a follow up appointment on a male client comming in again in a few weeks. I gave him a pedicure last week only to find he has 6 ingrown toenails. I ran into a problem with cutting his toenails, the nail clipper didn't grab the nail. (such a u curve from the sidewalls) so I tried my cuticle nippers to shorten his nails, didnt work well enough for me and he could feel the pressure from his nail digging into his skin. So I filed them down the best I could, but I feel I didnt do the best I could do. Any thoughts or comments appreciated. Should I bring out my electric file or just not service him anymore?

He needs a chiropodist hun not a pedicure,
we do not treat medical conditions,
advise him to go and see one, then his feet will feel much better and he will be able to enjoy a pedicure fully hth

Hi, thank you so much. That was my hunch too!!!
I will refer him to a podiatrist and leave be. When he comes in
again. I will do the regular pedicure soaking, exfoliation, cream
and cuticles. I will not cut or try to cut his nails. At that point
I will refer him to see a doctor. Thank you for your help.

Speaking to various people, amazing things can be done now with ingrown toenails. The whole nail does not need to be removed anymore and they look "normal" after treatment. I've been "howking" (Geordie term for picking n making them bleed) my own for years, but never touch a clients! After seeing some of my clients after proper treatment though, I'm seriously thinking of getting mine seen to properly. :green:

For the time been the best advise you can give him is to keep them clean and dry, free from moisture as a soft nail will find it easier to become and continue to be ingrown,
you can still give him the massage with cream just avoid the nails,
and tell him after they have been treated professionally he will enjoy your pedicures much more hth :hug:

Sounds good, perfect wording you have!!!
I will use your advice:Grope:
and tell him kindly.

I got an ingrown toe nail last March, for long enough I didn't notice it was ingrown and I thought I had a fungal infection in the nail as it was going discoloured.

I have regular pedicures and the toe was getting very sore so I decided to get a chiropodist to take a look. The first chiropodist made a complete balls of it.. in fact I am still suffering with a swollen ankle and leg after contracting cellulitis in the leg after he used un sterile tools on my toe!!!

ANYWAY.. I carried on seeing my beauty therapist for my pedicures and she left the toe well alone (she never noticed it was ingrown either!) and I managed to see my regular chiropodist who diagnosed the ingrown toenail. Damm it was sore! She filed the nail down on top as well as the sides and 'packed' it under the free edge... I could have hit the roof with the pain!! I was totally expecting to be told the nail would need to come off.. but after this one time the nail grew out and after a full year its almost back to normal (apart from my leg and ankle). So now I see my B/T fortnightly for my pedicures and my chiropodist every 8 weeks to keep an eye on any developments.

An excellent result and working along side two professionals :)

Sorry you had such pain.....I never had and ingrown myself, but I know it is painful. Thanks for sharing what you went through and how serious it can be.
Thank you everyone ...

I would phone him and say you have been thinking about him and his toenails, and explain that a pedicure is a cosmetic / pampering treatment, and with hindsight you would recommend he has his toenails cut by a foot health professional such as a chiropodist or podiatrist.

I would phone him rather than wait for him to come in, because he may not be very happy when he next comes in that you don't cut his toenails, when he will have been expecting you to. Plus he may not be able to get a chiropody appointment immediately, there may be a wait of a few weeks.

Ya, I thought about that too!!!
The place I work at has a massage therapist. And he is scheduled for
a massage on that day then a pedicure. I think I will call him and explain
to him about this situation as I really really dont want to give him another
pedicure because of his sensitive ingrown toenails. It will minimize my chances of anything bad happening resulting from a pedicure.
thanks for your help.

Ya, I thought about that too!!!
The place I work at has a massage therapist. And he is scheduled for
a massage on that day then a pedicure. I think I will call him and explain
to him about this situation as I really really dont want to give him another
pedicure because of his sensitive ingrown toenails. It will minimize my chances of anything bad happening resulting from a pedicure.
thanks for your help.
Think this is best advice for you to do too!

Yup, I agree, thanks so much- I feel relieved all ready!!!!

Hey

Just wanted to add.

I have had ingrowing toenails since I was 14. I still have them now, yes they are painful (at times) but it does not stop me having a pedicure. It also does not stop them being cut. As long as they are not sore just trimming the nail and making sure its straight is fine.

Personally, unless it is infected, refer the client to a chiropodist not a doctor. My doctor is desperate, or so he seems, to take my toenail off! I kinda like my small toenail - more than i'd like just skin :eek:

Luckily for me my boyfriends father is a chiropodist, he is dead against removing the nail, with proper care they can be cured, or at least managed (as mine are.)

Becki xxx

its nice that your boyfriends father offers you medical advice on your ingrown. Thats a great connection, did you ever have to refer any of your clients to him?
This client I am talking about has such a bad case of ingrown on 6 or 7 of his toes. Its so bad that he can only clip the center of the toenail, leaving the i sidewalls growing up longer then the center. All the sidewalls of his nails are a serious curve inward like a C. So another words when you look at the top of his toenail you see a horseshoe shape nail. I could tell it was sensitive to the touch.

Latest posts

Back