Pedicures give me severe back pain

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gudginda

Reaction score
i carry out pedicures on the treatment couch so that i can adjust the height to minimize hunching over, but find that i am still suffering back pain and headaches after preforming pedicures...everytime!!
i have worked in several positions ie clients foot on my lap and from a throne chair but still back pain. does anyone else find this a problem?? any suggestions to help??:cry:

Do you get back pain from doing massage as you lean over a lot doing this treatment

well i mostly resolved this issue by doing my pedicures with the client on a couch. but if this isnt working for you maybe you should have a word with your doctor. its not good for your work to be affecting your health this much.
i hope you can find the answer.

Hi guginda,
I think perhaps youn are positioning your chair too high so that the client is lower than you, is your eye sight ok because I am short sighted and I tend to bend forward unnecesserily even when I wear my glasses, I have since then started to be mindful of my poture. Hope this is helpful to you.

I think I can help. My husband made me a platform that I can put my clients chair on so my client can sit higher than me. This way I can make my chair as low as it will go, and my clients foot can lay flat on my knee. Measure your chairs highth, and then figure how high you need to make your platform so that your client will be high enough that you won't need to bend so much. And make sure your chair is a rolling chair, and hers is stationary. He also put electric outlets in the sides so I could plug in my e-file and my gel light, and lamp. It's way ccooool!

I think I can help. My husband made me a platform that I can put my clients chair on so my client can sit higher than me. This way I can make my chair as low as it will go, and my clients foot can lay flat on my knee. Measure your chairs highth, and then figure how high you need to make your platform so that your client will be high enough that you won't need to bend so much. And make sure your chair is a rolling chair, and hers is stationary. He also put electric outlets in the sides so I could plug in my e-file and my gel light, and lamp. It's way ccooool!

this sounds fantastic !

Can we get your husband to do a few on commission??:lol:

Seriously, I think theres a gap in the market for a product like this. Ideally I would love one of those all singing all dancing pedi chairs with the in-built foot bath, as the client has a higher seating position in these. for one, I cant afford one at the moment, and if the day comes when I can, there isnt room in my tiny salon for one. A platform like you have described would be ideal for those who are short on cash and short on space. I get backache, and now I do my foot treatments whilst sitting on the floor cross legged. I explain to my clients first that I'm not going to use the stool because of backache and every one of them has been fine with me sitting on the floor. I put a towel across my knee for them to rest their foot on, and although this isnt an ideal long term solution, it'll do just fine for now.

Well I live in the states, so sending these platforms would be very costly. Maybe you could trade someone services in exchange for thier husband makeing you a platform! I never ever want to buy a pedi throne because the old water goes through the same pipes and the clean water comming in. And with all the oily procucts we use alot of the yuk gets stuck in the pipes and comes back into the pdi bowl with the clean water. You can run cleaners through it but I just don't trust it! I bought a footsie bath and liners for 200.00 us and 100 liners. the liners crinkle up and go in my trash.
Good Luck!

Just a thought with massage, Im tall and straddle my legs whilst standing until I dont have to lean. Works a treat in preventing hunching and backache.

Are you tall hun? do u have a long back?
I have same problem as you, but i have found doing pedi's on the couch, and raising the couch has helped. i makes sure i sit up straight an not slouch or bend over. maybe you would be better, if possible, to do it standing, if your couch is height adjusable?!

if you have a bad back a motorised couch is briliant, because you can alter it to suit really easily. :cool:

i carry out pedicures on the treatment couch so that i can adjust the height to minimize hunching over, but find that i am still suffering back pain and headaches after preforming pedicures...everytime!!
i have worked in several positions ie clients foot on my lap and from a throne chair but still back pain. does anyone else find this a problem?? any suggestions to help??:cry:

sorry for being a bit thick but how do you perform a pedicure on the couch thanks.

you can either use the foot spa in the chair and then move them up to the couch to do the rest. Or (i do this way) put the spa up on the couch and the client can st with their knees bent and feet in he spa. as long as they dont have back/ mobility trouble r ae very heavily pregnant they should be fine. just check that the client is comfy.

Can you please email me with a pic of this platform your hubby made?

Thanks so much!

I would send a pic of the platform but I have a camera where you have to finalize a disk. And I don't want to burn a disk for only 1 pic. [sorry]. besides that you will have to measure with your own chair before you make one because the chair I use is an antique and not your typical hieght for doing pedi's. You just need to make your platform wide enough to put your chair and a footsie bath on. And alittle extra so you can push your chair back for a tall person, so her legs are'nt cramped!
My husband [you can find your own stud!]framed the platform with 2x6's, layed out on joiced 16 inch centers. Covered the top with 7 16" particle board. cut wholes in each side for recepticles. Then he Wired it, so you have outlets on both sides. covered it with indoor outdoor carpet. [use carpet glue]. trim around with brass stair strips to cover the carpet edges to hold them down. This makes it looked finished.
See my last post for other details. This is not difficult. It took my husband 3 hours. But you have to find someone who knows how to do it!
Good lucj,
Tess

Latest posts

Back