Pedicurist/chiropodist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LINDASTAR

Reaction score
I had a client yesterday asking me to slice off skin on her feet with a hard skin knife. I refused because I just do hard skin with a corn/callus remover (cheese grater) was I right in doing this? Where does a pedicure end before you are doing a chiropodists job?

i wouldn't do it as you may take off more skin and cause her feet to be sore or even painfull to walk on.try to explain that you only take off a small amount of the hard skin and advise going to a chiropodist if she wants any more removed.

Pedicurists smooth, podiatrists remove! If she wants it removing then she has to pay podiatrists' prices!

Those tools here are called credo blades and they are against the law ....(here anyway) I have seen allott of damage with those.....she definatly needs to go to the doc's if she wants that much removed.....or better shoes ! with proper shoes your feet don't have as many calluses....I only use foot files.....I also don't dig ingrowns as well ....anything that can cause real harm or pain.....forget it ....not me ....makes me ill to see gross feet anyway...:)

:hug: THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

melissaq said:
Those tools here are called credo blades and they are against the law ....(here anyway) I have seen allott of damage with those.....she definatly needs to go to the doc's if she wants that much removed.....or better shoes ! with proper shoes your feet don't have as many calluses....I only use foot files.....I also don't dig ingrowns as well ....anything that can cause real harm or pain.....forget it ....not me ....makes me ill to see gross feet anyway...:)

I live in BC too, and I checked with the CIABC... they are not against the law. They never have been. If they were, then we would not be able to buy them through every distributor or pharmacy. I was told by the CIABC last week, that because we are de-regulated there is nothing stopping us from using credo-blades. And the reason so much controversy surrounds them is for 2 reasons.... 1) the podiotrists feel that we are doing there job when using one, 2) Students just aren't being trained how to use one properly. When trained with one properly they are a completely safe tool to use.

yes, if you haven't been trained don't do it. i always see pedicures as a pampering treatment, not a cure! if feet are this bad they should be seeing a chiropodist.

Buggy said:
yes, if you haven't been trained don't do it. i always see pedicures as a pampering treatment, not a cure! if feet are this bad they should be seeing a chiropodist.
i agree to pedi is to pamper.. although i really hate feet i do do them, but thanks god i dont do that many..lol

huberella said:
I live in BC too, and I checked with the CIABC... they are not against the law. They never have been. If they were, then we would not be able to buy them through every distributor or pharmacy. I was told by the CIABC last week, that because we are de-regulated there is nothing stopping us from using credo-blades. And the reason so much controversy surrounds them is for 2 reasons.... 1) the podiotrists feel that we are doing there job when using one, 2) Students just aren't being trained how to use one properly. When trained with one properly they are a completely safe tool to use.

I'm sorry I was in Vegas at the time when I wrote this ....I live in BC but am licenced in Nevada and they are agaist the law in the state of Nevada ....you CAN check that ....I personally do not use them I have seen more harm than good from these ....from untrained to trained techs but this again IMO

Thats settled it then - I wasnt trained to use them at college. I use them on myself to save money on going to the chiropodist but I will refuse to use them on others. Thanks a lot.

Thats settled it then - I wasnt trained to use them at college. I use them on myself to save money on going to the chiropodist but I will refuse to use them on others. Thanks a lot.

What, if any, are the proper rules and laws about where pedicure ends and chiropody starts - are there in fact any written regs on this?

What about Foot Health Professionals (FHP) - they are not chiropodists yet they use a blade and do virtually everything a chiropodist does?

And what of the insurers; where do they draw the line or do they make it up as they go along?

Would a pedicurist be insured to remove a corn or callous like a FHP would or not?

Grey area!

I think insurers tend to cover you for what you were trained to do ... and pedicure training in UK does not cover using a blade (or it shouldn´t do). I have heard so many horror stories of people having been butchered by pedicurists here in Spain, it beggars belief. Someone asked me the other day if I used a knife and said no and explained why. I use a foot file and callous remover for my hard skin removal, and she actually said it felt much better than when people have used the knife! I was a smug bunny! :green:

Hi, my mum is a podiatrist (not sure if I have spelt that right) so trained and insuranced to use blades, and our insurance wouldnt cover us for using blades on clients, we could end up doing alot of damage.

I've had clients ask me to cut their hard skin off but I definately would NEVER do it. I'm certain that when using one, it makes even more hard skin grow back because it is the bodies defense mechanism to produce hard skin to protect itself. I love pedicures ~ I love it when I get a pair of feet that have been really neglected and I can work my magic on them! Am I just a crazy woman or does anyone else feel the same? xx

Thanks for your kind replies but I still want to see where any rules exist for what one can or cannot do with instruments. What is the differance to an insurer when an accident occurs to a client with say a blade or a pair of clippers whilst doing a pedicure?

Some pedicurists say they use a blade for callous whilst other say no - I just want to know where exactly it states in the UK what is legal or not for pedicure practice?

And what regs do pedicurists own insurers give over this valid issue?

Like I say it seems to be a very grey area!

And then we could go into ingrown nails and the way that a small 'snip' by us could save a person months of agony perhaps if we spot a shard of nail that clearly needs removing....

Where does cosmetic duty end and medical begin?

Surely some one somewhere knows the right answers.

Confusing!!!

Seems that there are no proper guidelines as I thought, going by the lack of comeback on this one.

Dear All,
I am posting here as a Chiropodist/Podiatrist to respond to questions raised about treatment limitations.
I am a bit concerned that someone was advocating having a go at ingrowing toe-nails! A true ingrowing toenail is a medical condition best treated by a Chiropodist/Podiatrist who is able to intervene surgically under local anaesthetic if necessary.
As for removing hard skin, I don't have a problem with beauticians removing this off with a file or buffer. Most "hard skin" that patients complain of is not really hard skin but dry skin, and this responds well to buffing and emollients.
I don't like the idea of anyone not trained as a chiropodist/podiatrist removing hard skin with any sharp implements. Chiropodists complete hundreds of clinical hours to perfect the technique using scalpels. Another issue is infection control. Chiropodists/podiatrist sterilize all instruments between patients with superheated steam in an autoclave. I do not know what the cross infection requirements are for others.
regards
Footwoman.

I myself rent one of my rooms to a chiropodist/podiatrist, which to me works really well as both compliment each other. A lot of my clients see both as they are very different beasts. Most of my clients visit podiatrists to get the bulk of the dry skin sorted & ingrown toenails etc sorted but come to me to have them 'prettied up' - a lot of them complain their podiatrists leave the nails jagged & the hard skin unsmoothed so it catches on their tights etc!

On the subject of blades - I use a corn plane, which I was trained in using & have been for years & years, I see no problem with this so long as proper hygiene procedures are followed, but I suspect you are referring more to scalpels than safety blades.

Hello all,
If a client has complaints about the treatment they have received from a Chiropodist/Podiatrist them they should be encouraged to take that up with the practitioner concerned. If they are still dissatisfied they can refer their complaint to the Health Professions Council which is the government regulator for all Chiropodist/Podiatrists.Some patients/clients are confused about the scope of a chiropodist/podiatrist and get upset when we don't provide all the pampering that they expect. I explain to all such patients that I don't do beauty treatments as I am not trained in that area. If they want pedicures/dry skin removal/massage etc. I suggest they see a beautician.

I am still curious as to how the hard skin scrapers that have been described are sterilized between clients?
regards
Footwoman.

I used to do this for 4 years ....and now i dont do it anymore ...if the clients have pedicures every 2 or 3 weeks u can maintain it nicelly...i am very happy with the OPI foot files...gets ridd of a lot of dry skin if u insist...I find that cutting doesnt solve anything it just grows back as ugly as always or gets worse even...
Advise her its not the best thing for her,sell her a file to use at home and a foot cream...that would be the best thing ...and also to visit u more often...

xxxx

Latest posts

Back