"Pencilling in" appointment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffydreams

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I had a message from a client today asking me to "pencil her in" for a 1pm appointment on Monday.
She explained her partner may not be getting paid on Monday and if he doesn't, she won't be able to afford the appointment so it's kind of a question mark.
I told her that I would keep her in my diary but if another client wanted the same appointment then I would give priority to them.
She understood and said it was fine, but I really don't like doing this!
Especially when I don't know when she is going to let me know if she can come, if at all. So I may set up and prepare for nothing!
What would you do in this situation?

Thanks xxx

I would say that I would keep her appointment time in mind and work my other appointments around it to start with, but if someone wants to book an appointment and that the only space I have left I will give it to them.
I would also be wary as she is not a regular client of yours, also if you do it to start with she may keep doing this in the future. If she does come I would remind her that she will need to DEFINITLY make the next appointment (not a pencil-in) as you do not want to loose business on the off-chance that she turns up.

I would pencil her in on the understanding that if a `definate` appointment books in, it will take priority.

I would do the same. If someone else wants that specific appointment time then they can have it as she hasnt confirmed, but by pencilling in you dont lose anything.

If someone else wants it you have a confirmed so make money.

If no one else does and she confirms then you make money.

And if no one else does and she cancels then you didnt lose anything or turn a client away.

If the slot is free I would get in touch earlyish on Monday to ask her to let you know asap you need to know for clients wanting cancellation appointments.

Yeah I thought so.
Thanks all :) xx

Hi,
I would rather not book an appointment if she said that to me, I would just ask her to call in or ring me when she knew she definitely wanted the appointment , as you can't hold spaces for" maybe" appointments you are running a business not a charity! But obviously you would be nice about it to your client x

I actually really admire this client's honesty... she could have just asked for the appointment and then cancelled at the last minute, but she was upfront with you and gave you the option to give the appointment away to someone else.

I would do exactly as she has asked and pencil her in, obviously giving it away as a last resort.

You'll have to let us all know if she shows up :)

I actually really admire this client's honesty... she could have just asked for the appointment and then cancelled at the last minute, but she was upfront with you and gave you the option to give the appointment away to someone else.

I would do exactly as she has asked and pencil her in, obviously giving it away as a last resort.

Thats a great point Karen, i'd much rather a client gave me their honest circumstances than did a no show or cancellation at the last minute.

Yeah that is a good point :)
However, as I expected she didn't turn up. She text at 10.30am saying she couldn't get a babysitter, so couldn't come.
I appreciated her honesty and said that was fine and asked if she would like to re-arrange a time when she knows she can definitely make it!

Latest posts

Back