Permanent Top Coat

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobile Nails

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I wonder if anybody can help me. What do you geeks use to keep your nail art more permanent when doing nails? I use Star nails fixative and find this mostly very good but when Ive finished doing a client they look a little worse for wear. I also have a couple of clients who are hairdressers and would like a more permanent top coat. Any ideas. At the moment I use Creative's Shiny top coat, which is great for most of my clients, but not the really heavy handed ones !! I have never tried doing gel nails, but I have a UV light.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Heather
XX

Hi Heather

I use Light Seal by Cosmic...its great, it air dry's or u can use your work station lamp. I do a lot of of airbrushing and the designs are always there on there next appointment.

Vicky x
Mobile Nails said:
Hi everyone,

I wonder if anybody can help me. What do you geeks use to keep your nail art more permanent when doing nails? I use Star nails fixative and find this mostly very good but when Ive finished doing a client they look a little worse for wear. I also have a couple of clients who are hairdressers and would like a more permanent top coat. Any ideas. At the moment I use Creative's Shiny top coat, which is great for most of my clients, but not the really heavy handed ones !! I have never tried doing gel nails, but I have a UV light.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Heather
XX

either Perma Gloss by NSI or Lightbox by Nail order. Both buff off therefore not affected by acetone - especially great for keeping YOUR nails looking fab! I know mine always look a bit manky by the time i have used acetone free polish remover and scrub fresh on my clients but by using either of the above keeps them looking fab! Use it over airbrushed nail art or just over the acrylic for a permanent high shine which i charge an extra £4 for.

There is also faze2 from Designer Nails. No uv cure but a gel all the same and needs to be buffed off.

Hi GIGI

Can you use this over L&P?

Heather X

Mobile Nails said:
Hi GIGI

Can you use this over L&P?

Heather X
You can use it over anything for permanent shine, that is not removed with polish remover. It will even protect your nail enamel colour in the salon so that it never moves or becomes sticky while you are working on others BUT ...
if you use Faze2 as a polish protector, the polish must be at least 8 hours DRY. If you apply over wet polish, the polish Will stay sticky forever!!

i have found that a topcoat called Airshield by NSI is great for protecting your nails especially when you get them messed up doing other clients nails. Its a great top caot which you can use a minute after your polish has been applied, you then apply the Airshield, wait 3 minutes and it sets really hard. Its great when clients are in a rush and can't wait for their polish to dry properly. It comes off with polish remover but not very easily.

air shield is brill i had never tried it but it came with my nsi balance gel and i used it on my self and it does exactly what it says

If you used airshield etc over airbrushed nails, would that mean that the client didnt have to apply clear polish every day? that would be better for them but not good from a topcoat sales point of view i suppose..... thanks x

someone might come along with a better answer.......
i airbrush and i find very quick drying top coats can cause crackling of the airbrush design especially as you would apply it quite thickly as not to disturb the design
i would use airbrush topcoat then airshield after
but then again i would not be able to sell my top coats either

joannerowsell said:
someone might come along with a better answer.......
i airbrush and i find very quick drying top coats can cause crackling of the airbrush design especially as you would apply it quite thickly as not to disturb the design
i would use airbrush topcoat then airshield after
but then again i would not be able to sell my top coats either

i thought about this - lack of top coat sales - so opted for a permanent gloss finish which i charge EXTRA for. I make shed loads more on the permanent gloss at £4 a time than i ever did selling bottles of top coat. ;) Practically all my clients want this finish and although i have only been offering this extra service for a few weeks, it has def been worth it! After all, a bottle of top coat lasts an age to clients, but the permanent gloss finish is reapplied at every maintenance appointment at the extra charge. My clients all seem happy to pay the extra too.

Does that make the airbrushing 'crackle' though Dianne? Ive got perma gloss already. do you do a topcoat first as i would imagine the perma gloss would smudge your design? thanks x

i use faze 2 from creative...applied over totally dry enamel/acrylic paint designs I find it excellent..must be used thinly tho to avoid cracking. I apply my nail art at night then the next morning quickly cover with faze 2. I wore it over a design I did for my three week hols and every nail was still perfect on the day I returned.

I do my airbrushing as normal and then carefully apply the perma gloss primer and then the perma gloss, then cure. I'm not finding the design smudges.

referring to the perma gloss from nsi you have mentioned....wondering how it can be applied directly after the enamel is touch dry when it must be non permeable if it is to protect against acetone etc? Does the enamel not stay gooey underneath? Wondering how it differs from faze 2 as only prob with faze 2 is that you have to wait until the enamel is TOTALLY dry( a few hours)before it can be applied therefore not much use on clients unless they are willing to return to you say the next morning.

I suppose its ok with airbrushed nail designs as they are dry when you finish them, I have trouble applying a normal top coat without smudging my airbrushing! i tried spraying the varnish sealer a bit thicker thinking that would help, but that has crackled my airbrushing a couple of times as i must have either applied too wet or too thick or something, and that is made especially for that purpose! maybe i should spray a light misting of varnish and then try the perma gloss? thanks x

i don't have any trouble putting it over airbrushed nail art. I did speak to NSI about enamel - they said although they didn't recommend it over nail varnish they new plenty of techs who did do this without any problems. It is great UNDER nail polish though - especially if you have a client who likes to change colours between appointments - as it is protected against acetone.

Hiya,

I use Power Seal by Nailorder over permnent french, nail art and airbrush, you cure for 2 mins, your enemel doesnt have to dry for 8 hours and it lasts ages (untill you buff off), you can apply an enamel over it then take off and its still shiny. It doesnt shrink and its sooo thin and easy to go on. I have found it to be the best gel top coat on the market so far!!!

Amanda

Lily said:
Hiya,

I use Power Seal by Nailorder over permnent french, nail art and airbrush, you cure for 2 mins, your enemel doesnt have to dry for 8 hours and it lasts ages (untill you buff off), you can apply an enamel over it then take off and its still shiny. It doesnt shrink and its sooo thin and easy to go on. I have found it to be the best gel top coat on the market so far!!!

Amanda
The original question was, "what do you use over nail art"?
Faze2 is great over nail art. AND you don't have to cure it at all even though it is a gel. It cures in the natural UV light in the room.
It is only over enamel that you do have to wait for it to be completely dry. I only mentioned it because some try to use it over enamel and it was not formulated for that ... it was formulated for use over airbrushed nail art. It dries in under a minute and is permanent. Just to clarify.

geeg said:
The original question was, "what do you use over nail art"?
Faze2 is great over nail art. AND you don't have to cure it at all even though it is a gel. It cures in the natural UV light in the room.
It is only over enamel that you do have to wait for it to be completely dry. I only mentioned it because some try to use it over enamel and it was not formulated for that ... it was formulated for use over airbrushed nail art. It dries in under a minute and is permanent. Just to clarify.
Hiya,

I answered the question that i use powerseal over nail art:!: . I mentioned that i use it over enamel too cos alot of techs want to seal enamel with something permanent and you can with this without waiting. I know some do try to use faze over enamel without it drying completely so i was stating that you dont need to wait x amount of hours to use Powerseal.

Amanda

Latest posts

Back