Personality and confidence. Important?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a lot depends on the client you're with at any particular time, I act differently with each client, some I'm quiet and peaceful as that's what they want, some I'm literally singing and dancing with! I like to get along with my clients and treat them, and interact with them, the way they like. Be confident, and if you can't then "fake it til you make it" lol x

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek

Exactly love that fake it till you make it :D but i actually found if i felt under confident cuts or colours would not go to plan if i just thought yea i can do this and concentrated it all went fine xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

You defo need personality and confidence, things of which you cannot teach! I've got through a few self employed staff....well they have left as they have no confidence to introduce themselves to my clients, even asking their bank to put their price lists in the staff room!!! And no personality to give the client an enjoyable visit when they did come in...so the never came back.....!

I've always believed I am the product they're buying,& it's the case with any business.There are thousands of good nail technicians so what is going to set me apart from them?My personality,I'm loud & laugh a lot but not arrogant,I'm quietly confident & don't have to tell the world I'm good at nails,the client can see they're getting a great job as I do their nails.
I'm actually quite shy but find it's like Im playing a "role",I've done nails since I was 17,working fulltime when I was 18,I was less confident with my work then but being a teenager I had more energy & chatted easily being in the "role",I don't do heaps of clients now & get a bit nervous with new people because it's in my home,I'm 100% confident with my work but find I ramble a bit if I'm nervous.I try to make sure I look really nice,my nails are nice & I'm organised with the salon tidy etc which makes a big difference to meeting new people & being confident within yourself.I went to a salon recently (an at home one) & she had made no effort with her appearance,talked about her problems & her salon was a mess,I don't mind a bit untidy as in been flat out but this was dirty!!So it didn't matter that she did a good job & was cheap,I wouldn't go back.It needs to be a full service in my opinion.

Personality is the key to success. I have employed stylists who are okish hairdressers who everybody loves, and some technically brilliant hairdressers who struggle to build any sort of clientele.
Always focus on the client, talk about their hair/skin/nails. Use your "airtime" with the client wisely.

Totally agree with this....

I've worked in the past with a few Italian male stylists: could not cut there way out of a wet paper bag (or colour!) yet they had the biggest number of female clients, they came for the charm and the flirting time and time again, even though there bleeding foils left them with tiger stripes - they loved it haha!!

x x

How important do you think these are?

I had a full head of highlights recently and the stylist did an amazing job. However, the whole time she looked nervous and when I said how pleased I was with the results, she kept asking if I was sure. She's been at the same salon for 6 years so it wasn't newbie nerves and all of the girls were lovely to each other.

I never mention that I'm a therapist and I'm always friendly and chatty (and I tip well), but aside from being very sweet and lovely, she had nothing to say during the three hours that I was in there.

I think that personality and confidence go hand in hand with being a success in the hair and beauty world. What say you?

a hairdresser that didnt chit chat endlessly AND did a fabulous job??

lol send me her number

I would love to be able to go and switch off and not have to do that endless conversation that hairdressers seem to think every customer wants

a hairdresser that didnt chit chat endlessly AND did a fabulous job??

lol send me her number

I would love to be able to go and switch off and not have to do that endless conversation that hairdressers seem to think every customer wants

The trick is to read the client's body language. I can tell when a client wants silence, when they want a laugh. I can even tell when they want a fringe a bit shorter by their body language!
The key is to read the client and react to what they want, not what you want.

When I first started out in the industry I was so unconfident, eyebrow waxes were the worst! I would literally be right behind the client in the mirror to gauge the reaction 😳 I then met an amazing therapist who had 15 years under her belt and she taught me the ways. She taught me a proper massage, and everything in between, how to wax quickly and efficiently, how to save consumables etc. I never thought the massage I did was good, up until very recently when I got a job in a new spa and every client I massage now praises me above and beyond. I felt I was doing a mediocre job, but when people tell you again and again they have been to such and such a place and the massage was nothing like that it gives me a huge confidence boost. I think everyone has been there at one time, and it's a great feeling to start being confident in what you do and love! and also Thanks to Sandra from Oz 😉 Don't know if she's a geek or not but her patience and knowledge made me the therapist I am today!

Maybe she knew you were the waxing queen & went a bit shy!

I think you have to practise being confident and you have to be good at what you do so you feel confident.

I always say to my students 'Don't ever ask the client to check your work of ask them if it's ok. You're the expert, not them. If they were any good they'd be doing it at home themselves. Besides, they're paying you to do a good job and to make sure that it's perfect.'

Confidence is king!

I think every client is different. Some want to chat, some wants some race and quiet. I have one clients who I thought wouldn't say boo to a goose on her first appointment. Second appointment, I couldn't shut her up! You definitely have to read body language as said above, but confidence is key to everything in life not just work. I think it opens doors for sure.

Race and quiet??? Peace and quiet. Flippin phone! Lol

Latest posts

Back