Piercing pain

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
My eldest daughter has been asking about having her ears pierced for her birthday. She is worried as a lot of her friends have told her how much it hurts! I imagined for kids (or even adults come to that!) it might have been common practice to freeze the area with a spray or ice block etc before the piercing? If not then is there any kind of anaesthetic cream I can buy to put on her lobes before she has this done? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!:)

My eldest daughter has been asking about having her ears pierced for her birthday. She is worried as a lot of her friends have told her how much it hurts! I imagined for kids (or even adults come to that!) it might have been common practice to freeze the area with a spray or ice block etc before the piercing? If not then is there any kind of anaesthetic cream I can buy to put on her lobes before she has this done? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!:)
Try Emla cream,it is a numbing cream,same as what they use in hospitals for kids injections.You can get from pharmacy over the counter.

Piercing dosn't really hurt though.Quick sting then it's done,back gets put on the same time so its easy and you can have both ears done at same time if she's really nervous.

If you go on ebay to the section where they sell professional piercing equipment, you can buy the ligacain (sp) spray that is used by piercers when doing navels and nipples etc

Hi hun, for advice from a professional piercer (as don't think there are many on Skin Geek!), go to:

Piercing by Carl and Shirley at Bodz(Bodydecor)Liverpool UK

Carl is the most experienced piercer I know, and there is boundless information on that site that will inform you of the best piercing techniques, how to find a good piercer, dangers of freeze spray/piercing guns and so on.

At the minute the front page is a 'news' piece about Lewis's going into admin (Bodz studio is situated inside Lewis's you see) but the menu on the left still works and there is plenty of reading to be done.

hth

If you go on ebay to the section where they sell professional piercing equipment, you can buy the ligacain (sp) spray that is used by piercers when doing navels and nipples etc
I would definately not recomend buying medical equipment or supplies from Ebay. Lignocaine (and Xylocaine & all other generic brands) are intended for use & purchase by the professional, i.e Dr, nurse, dentist or trained piercer, not a random ebay bidder!
(No offence intended Loubylou X)
Although a solution such as this would have a numbing effect, its a bit un-necessary.
The 'clack' sound made by the piercing gun is more scary than the actual sensation.
The pain is really only a sting, the only soreness comes later (if you get any), when washing hair, laying down on your side, that sort of thing, and the anaesthetic will have long worn off by then.
if your daughter is old enough to have her ears pierced, then she's old enough to feel it! lol x
p.s: i am a pro body piercer, check out my profile x
just to add, if your daughter is planning to have a cannulae (needle) piercing on her ear, then i can see the point of a local anaesthetic, but i personally would go for an actual 'freeze' spray (i wont give the name, so's not to tempt anyone, lol !) which literally freezes the area for up tp a minute or so.; incredibly effective for ears & navels xx

There you go,you got your pro advice :wink2:

i personally, would take her to somewhere that uses a spring loaded system, such as caflon, of course its still going to sting a little, but from experience and client feedback its alot less painful than a hand press system. i dont think a numbing cream is needed...:)

I would definately not recomend buying medical equipment or supplies from Ebay. Lignocaine (and Xylocaine & all other generic brands) are intended for use & purchase by the professional, i.e Dr, nurse, dentist or trained piercer, not a random ebay bidder!
(No offence intended Loubylou X)
Although a solution such as this would have a numbing effect, its a bit un-necessary.
The 'clack' sound made by the piercing gun is more scary than the actual sensation.
The pain is really only a sting, the only soreness comes later (if you get any), when washing hair, laying down on your side, that sort of thing, and the anaesthetic will have long worn off by then.
if your daughter is old enough to have her ears pierced, then she's old enough to feel it! lol x
p.s: i am a pro body piercer, check out my profile x
just to add, if your daughter is planning to have a cannulae (needle) piercing on her ear, then i can see the point of a local anaesthetic, but i personally would go for an actual 'freeze' spray (i wont give the name, so's not to tempt anyone, lol !) which literally freezes the area for up tp a minute or so.; incredibly effective for ears & navels xx

No offence taken hun :hug:

Latest posts

Back