PPD-what were you taught?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluerinse

Reaction score
Ok just watching This morning on itv and a women on there mentioned PPD is only in dark colours, I was taught PPD is present in all colours! Which is why you skin test for every colour, not just dark?

How were you taught if at all?

I'm just watching the same thing! She said that ppd is stronger in darker colours, not 'only 'in darker colours.
Horrible looking at the pics of her reaction isn't it!
X

I'm just watching the same thing! She said that ppd is stronger in darker colours, not 'only 'in darker colours.
Horrible looking at the pics of her reaction isn't it!
X

Whoops my fault on that one, but I was always told it's in all colours and the same amount? No wonder she was blonde lol but yes not nice and still the women colours her hair at home! X

I know-silly woman!
Hopefully other women will look at it and it'll scare them to use home dyes so will boost our business!

The darker the colour the stronger the ppd thats what i was taught. Hence why black henna ( super concentrated ppd) tatoos are a HUGE no no.

The darker the colour the stronger the ppd thats what i was taught. Hence why black henna ( super concentrated ppd) tatoos are a HUGE no no.

Same here Hun, I always use the colour I'm going to use for a skin test but if I don't have it at the time I'll use a darker one x

I always use a base 2 as a skin test as I was told there's more ppd in darker colours x

I believe that ppd increase with the depth of colour, I always skin test with the darkest colour I will be using on that particular client, my theory is that a client may have a reaction to a 2 yet only be wanting a 10 on her hair - why test with a 2? A client may react to a darker colour yet be perfectly ok with a lighter one. Thats my system anyway.:biggrin:

I was also taught that ppd's were stronger in darker colours although present in all...that's y wells skin test is done with 2/0

what is ppd? am doing my 3rd year of training and havent been taught this yet

Dollface - They are para-dyes.
We were taught darker the color - the more ppd but it is present in all colors. At college we skin test with the darkest color available...

Paraphenylenediamine (PPD) is a chemical substance that is widely used as a permanent hair dye. It may also been found in textile or fur dyes, dark coloured cosmetics, temporary tattoos, photographic developer and lithography plates, photocopying and printing inks, black rubber, oils, greases and gasoline.
The use of PPD as a hair dye is popular because it is a permanent dye that gives a natural look. Hair can also be shampooed without becoming decoloured and perming to achieve waves or curls can be done without difficulty. PPD hair dyes usually come packaged as 2 bottles, one containing the PPD dye preparation and the other containing the developer or oxidizer. PPD is a colourless substance that requires oxygen for it to become coloured. It is this intermediate, partially oxidised state that may cause allergy in sensitive individuals. Fully oxidized PPD is not a sensitiser thus individuals with PPD allergy can wear wigs or fur coats dyed with PPD safely.

I believe that ppd increase with the depth of colour, I always skin test with the darkest colour I will be using on that particular client, my theory is that a client may have a reaction to a 2 yet only be wanting a 10 on her hair - why test with a 2? A client may react to a darker colour yet be perfectly ok with a lighter one.

Yes, I'm sure you're right that the ppd increases with depth of colour.

However, I think the other reason for advising to test with a level 2 is because you are only applying a tiny amount to the skin in a patch test.

However, the amount of ppd's in a large bowl of tint mix (even a level 10) that will be applied to the hair will presumably be greater overall.

I think Persianista mentioned in a previous post about a client who tested ok with a patch test but then had a nasty reaction to the actual service and I think the concentration argument was the reason given by the manufacturer.

Apologies Persianista, if I've got this wrong.

PPD is found in all tint, the darker the shade the more ppd present, I always test with base two or colourstart even if the client is having a base ten, I personally wouldnt risk any such reaction!
Paraphenylenediamine (PPD) is a chemical substance that is widely used as a permanent hair dye. It may also been found in textile or fur dyes, dark coloured cosmetics, temporary tattoos, photographic developer and lithography plates, photocopying and printing inks, black rubber, oils, greases and gasoline.
The use of PPD as a hair dye is popular because it is a permanent dye that gives a natural look. Hair can also be shampooed without becoming decoloured and perming to achieve waves or curls can be done without difficulty. PPD hair dyes usually come packaged as 2 bottles, one containing the PPD dye preparation and the other containing the developer or oxidizer. PPD is a colourless substance that requires oxygen for it to become coloured. It is this intermediate, partially oxidised state that may cause allergy in sensitive individuals. Fully oxidized PPD is not a sensitiser thus individuals with PPD allergy can wear wigs or fur coats dyed with PPD safely.

I was taught the same, the darker the colour the more para-dyes.
(For lash and brow tinting I always test with black.)

Hi Bluerinse,

I was trained, many years ago, to test with either the colour you are going to use or black as it has the most PPD in it.

Out of interest do you think that more people react now days?

x

Don't know about more reacting just think more people sell their story, I'll defo be testing with black from now on x

I've never known anybody have an adverse reaction, have any of you? I think it's quite rare.

Have had 2 big reactors, and one who sensitised after a henna tattoo which we spotted at skin test. Reactions are thankully rare. There is no increase in reaction rates.

PPD is present in higher concentrations in darker colours, which is why skin tests are commonly carried out using black dye. Also, present in black are ALL the pigments present that are used in lighter colours.

Latest posts

Back