Pregnancy and spray tanning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natural-nails

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

Can anyone tell me if spraytanning and receiving a spraytan during pregnancy is safe? Im four weeks pregnant and have only recently started spray tanning. Me and my friend have been practicing on each other trying out the different solutions to decide on which one we like best and im a bit worried now as someone mentioned that it was'nt safe.

Thanks everyone!:eek:

Congratulations, a new bub on the way.

DHA doesn't penetrate the skin or enter the bloodstream, it appears to be safe to spray pregnant women. However, as a precaution get their/your doctors permission prior to being sprayed in the first trimester,[ I think you'll be fine ]

Doing the tanning should be OK. Wear a disposable mask if the smell gets to much for you & a glove if you need to for hand/hands.

HtH

XX J XX

In the first trimester spray tanning can go patchy due to raging hormones but other than that it is perfectly safe, I wouldn't bother going to your doctor - JMO

In the first trimester spray tanning can go patchy due to raging hormones but other than that it is perfectly safe, I wouldn't bother going to your doctor - JMO

Ditto! Why does everybody want a doctor's note from their client these days? Know your treatment, know your contraindications and what they mean ... and save the never ending queues at the doctor's surgeries.

I dont spray in the first trimester of pregnancy the reasons are...

hormonal changes can lead to extreme patchiness on the body

skin can become dry or oily

customer becomes distressed as its not the look she wanted.

She becomes dissalusioned by the whole episode

there will always be excess spray,even if its slight, if anything happens in that pregnancy for what ever reason....it will be investigated.

There are things for your nose to stop inhaling any spray but most of my clients rebuke them. I believe insurance companies will not cover you for that spray tanning episode, as it goes against the grain of what Training companies endorse. I trained with Tantrick around 18 mths ago.

Have to say ive sprayed my prgenant friend in each trimester the only one we had any difficulty with was the alst one when the solution seemed to repel away from her tummy. The baby didnt come out tanned either lol x

I continued to spray tan my clients right up until I was 30 weeks pregnant. I only stopped because I couldnt bend anymore. I have also sprayed pregnant womwn in all trimesters and never had a problem. Always make sure you explain what might happen due to hormones and get them to sign the record card agreeing to this if they go ahead and have it done

Ok thanks everyone you've been a great help!!!!:)

I dont think i would either have it done or do it on anyone else not for the first few weeks anyway there are lots of chemicals flying around and for the sake of a bit of colour i just wouldnt bother.
I just wonder now why so many kids have a.d.h.d and autism and stuff like that.The less chemicals you can expose an un born to the better in my opinion.

I dont think i would either have it done or do it on anyone else not for the first few weeks anyway there are lots of chemicals flying around and for the sake of a bit of colour i just wouldnt bother.
I just wonder now why so many kids have a.d.h.d and autism and stuff like that.The less chemicals you can expose an un born to the better in my opinion.

I can understand your reasoning here and we are all free to make out own in-salon choices so wouldn't knock yours; but I bet they come across more noxious fumes driving to and from the salon than would occur in a spray tan.

Also overspray sprays downwards for starters, and with HVLP units the overspray is minimal. I just make clients aware that streaking is possible and then leave them to make their mind up. I've not had one go streaky yet!

i was under the impression that the only reason you wouldnt spray tan is that some pregnant ladies may find that the smell of the spray can make them feel a little queesy!!

good luck with the pregnancy

love becki xxx

Spray tanning in the first trimester is avoided, as already said because of the influx of hormones, which affect the skin as well as the brain and the rest of the body and you could end up with a dodgy tan....that's the only reason.....

Chemicals in the air we breathe, chemicals and hormones that are regurgitated in the water we get from the tap, I don't think a spray is gonna be an issue!

Most spray tans are made from natural ingredients, like sugar, which I guess are chemicals if you look at everything like that, even the parabens which are used aren't inasive..... there's more chemicals in our tap water.

I was just going to add the same comment as above. Everything we use contains chemicals. Body lotions being rubbed on the tummy while pregnant, chemicals chemicals!

I also spray tan pregnant clients as all have said above as long as they are made aware of hormonal changes that could affect the tan. I also get them to sign their record card with the date of the tan and a short note of what id explained to them.

well i have just had a baby and when i was pregnant i asked a lot of doctors whether this was allowed, they all said no - they said whatever yu put on your skin gets absorbed and has a chance to go to your baby!

I say - dont risk it -
there are other products with the dixy...thingy in the ingredient - that is what penetrates the skin for the tan.

rimmel does an instant make up tan - sunless tan - which is like a tan make up - washes on and off -

t be honest as u go further in your pregnancy u really wont be bothered, the smell alone made me sick

having said al that JORDAN did sunbed her whole pregnancy! not that her kids are of best health...:green:

I doubt you could blame a sunbed or spray tan for her childs ill health. Its only her one son who has health problems. How often you hear of health problems/deformities caused by a spray tan? Its normally a genetic problem.

All im saying is avoid what you can.Obviously we can't choose to avoid all chemicals but we can choose to avoid certain things...like spray tans. It probably does no harm at all ,but for a few months of being a bit paler why bother taking the risk.
You would never hear of any ingredient in anything we all use daily being involved in harming us or the un born ,although there is certain evidence with parabens. There is too much money involved.

All im saying is avoid what you can.Obviously we can't choose to avoid all chemicals but we can choose to avoid certain things...like spray tans. It probably does no harm at all ,but for a few months of being a bit paler why bother taking the risk.
You would never hear of any ingredient in anything we all use daily being involved in harming us or the un born ,although there is certain evidence with parabens. There is too much money involved.

I can only speak for the Tantrick tan as I know we have the legal safety certification and documentation required for our product, which can vary so much with all the different ones currently on the market. There are some solutions containing ethyl alcohol and other ingredients which I certainly wouldn't want on my skin and I not even a pregnant mum!

The ingredients contained within our solution are totally safe for use in pregnancy and have been confirmed by one of the world leading cosmetologists. Mr Anthony Dwek has informed Tantrick that the ingredients in the solution such as lavender oil will go towards to well being of a mum during pregnancy as it will enable her to feel better about herself as her body goes through the many changes. I do remember feeling absolutely awful during my three pregnancies and if spray tanning was around all those years ago, I would certainly have been booking in to have them safely applied as I know how much better I feel within myself when I am wearing a Tantrick tan!

With regard to your comment about parabens, there has been much fuss and unconfirmed speculation about parabens causing all sorts of illnesses and people seem to be getting it out of all proportion, there are 1000's of different parabens on the market. The ones which are contained in the Tantrick solution are taken from plums, blackcurrants and strawberries, they are the natural preservatives within fruit!

The general guide line for Tantrick tans within pregnancy is that due to the imbalance of hormones during the first trimester, the reaction on the skin may not be as reliable ie the tan may not take as well, it may not wear off as it would normally or it may even go patchy so we advise waiting until the hormones have settled down, usually in the second trimester although saying that, everyones body is different.

As for applying tans during pregnancy, ensure you have the correct ventilation / filtration, as you always should do anyway, keep your back straight so not to put added pressure on the spine, think of your posture and as you get bigger don't block book loads of tans in at one time, try and space them out during the day.

I do hope this has helped! :lol:

Mandy

Ditto! Why does everybody want a doctor's note from their client these days? Know your treatment, know your contraindications and what they mean ... and save the never ending queues at the doctor's surgeries.

Don't think its a case of "want" a doctors certificate.
Tanning / beauty & nail protocol + contra indications can sometimes mean we "need" a doctors certificate.

Pregnant women have regular appointments with their GP/Gynocologist.
Monthly/fortnightly/weekly, & would be in a position to mention these types of things at regular intervals without adding to the "queue".

When in doubt, provide as much information as you can to the client & have them run it past the doctor at their next appointment.

XX J XX

all it is, its one of the controversial subjects
nobody carries out tests on pregnant women so no one knows for sure.
its up to the individual..to decide whether they would take the risk and to use their head...what is necessary what is moderation...

personally i dont think it can harm the baby but when i was pregnant and it was MY BABY i decided, im fat and ugly now anyway, the smell of the tan will make me sick, and the slight risk associated with it would make me guilty and paranoid.

NOW im not pregnant im glad i never bothered...i have a healthy son - and now (since finished breastfeeding) i can do what ever beauty treatments i want

Latest posts

Back