Pregnant and given the boot because of it

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, can I ask how long you were working there for and whether or not you were working elsewhere? If you were unable to work who took care of your clients/bookings (as in if you were ill)?

I was working there for 7 months and didnt work else where. I was making all people that called me for mobile work go to the salon.

If I was ill I would have to call the clients to let them know I was ill but they either rebooked through me or called the salon and the girls their booked them in the next free slot (ive never been off for longer than a day with illness if I had clients booked in).
Generally they took bookings for me to from people ringing the salon, the only time I used to get passed the phone is if they wanted to talk in depth about treatments

The salon owner himself does gel nails. I know if it was one of his hair clients and I couldnt do a late enough appointment for them he would take the booking. :hug:

I've had self employed therapists/nail techs and hair stylists working for me in the past and my accountant gave me very clear guidelines because once you have worked somewhere for 6 months, and solely there, you can be entitled to claim the same benefits as an employed person. Whoever I took on had to guarantee me that they worked elsewhere too (as in from home and should the inland revenue want proof they had to be able to prove it).....there is a checklist on the tax website - something like a check list to ascertain whether or not you can be classed as self employed...it is a huge grey area to be honest but the reason I'm mentioning it is because it does sound like you are being discriminated against and thats really unfair and that checklist may give you something to work with. Being self employed you don't get the same protections that an employee gets, however it could be viewed by Inland Revenue that you aren't truly self employed because you don't work anywhere else....which could possibly lead to the owner being responsible for maternity pay.

I'm not getting this over very well so I apologise if its a bit rambly and not making sense but basically I'd fight it, and as an employer I wouldnt do what has been done to you, either to an employee or someone on a self employed basis because I don't believe it is ethical.

i would just like to say congratulations and also i reccommend going to speak to the welfare rights they have trained solicitors who work with them so may be able to offer more legal advice than the cab, (as i'm not sure if they have trained legal professionals or just volunteers). hope everything works out for you! xxx

Here is a list of Civil Litigation Laywers in your area, some offer Leal aid.
It's a long list, but there has to be someone that will help you.
The Law Society - Find a solicitor

Get your stuff out sharpish too, take everything that belogns to you!!!!

In the mean time, who is servicing your clients? Have you got contact details? Can you service the from your home or mobile? As he isn't playing fair, why should you suffer financially????? This could be a blessing in disguise, your chance to build your own Nail Empire!!!! Be positive, there is always something positive to come out of something so negative xxx

A few years back I looked at a hair and beauty salon where the landlord was looking for someone to rent the beauty bit, the previous girl had recently had a baby and she had asked for him to hold it for her for 6 months and he said no because he was lossing money, it ws him that told me that, and I didn't take it because if I fell pregnant or anything the same would happen. Anyway funny thing is he did get someone to rent it for a few months, both hair and beauty is now closed has been for 18 months so look where his greed got him.

I would forget him and look to the future. Look for other work, other renting rooms, you don't even have to say your pregnant. There are men out there that are like this. Go CAB and see what they have to say or you can see a solicitor they often have 30 minutes free or an open morning where they give you free advice..

Congrats on being pregnant.

Kerryx

oohhh my god , well apart from that being discrimation etc , hes wrong for jumping to conclusions he hasnt spoke to you about it , for all he knows you could be working right up to your pregnancy or anything . i would demand a meeting with him and if he refuses i would take action against him.
it is quite difficult as being self employed when i rented a room i got advised to make a contract up to cover my backside if anything happens so i should have rights to stay there etc..
i would defintly look into it

Good luck & congratulations on the baby news xx

Hi guys

Ive just been asked to leave my salon today after my landlord found out I am pregnant (recent news to me too). He was earwigging a private conversation myself and my client were having about what was in my head as this is my first pregnancy and im very frightened to say the least.

Hes sent me a txt stating that i am to leave as I am pregnant and havent told him (i only found out 3 days ago) and when I called him he said that I wouldnt be there to make him money anyway and to get my stuff and go.

Im in complete tears as I dont know what to do and now Im panicing about xmas. I know its illegal to sack someone if they are pregnant but does the same thing work for the self employed? i dont really know where to start or who to talk to about this ..... if anyone could help me at the moment Id appreciate it. xx

congratulations!

as for the neathertal well he knows he's wrong hence why he wants to shut you up but on the plus side you could politely remind him that if you have no contract that means:

a) you can take all your clients with you with no come back
b) open up next door to him doing exactly the same thing

that would put the wind up him 'cause you could really screw his business!!

go get the bastard!!!:lick:

I was thinking the same thing!

I wouldnt want to work in the same salon as the disgusting creature, he has shown what a total A hole he is. That would teach him a lesson. :D

Can you not get your partner to accidently meet him in a dark alley somewhere, Karma is a bitch after all!:green:

Hey girls sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately I've called most of my clients and it seems he has had his say to them because they've decided not to continue their treatments. However a few of them have kept with me and Ive managed to find someone where to rent to continue things.

Thank you to the geek that mentioned talking to the inland revenue. Ive spoken to my book keeper and looked on the IR site. According to them both since I had to answer to a manager and I only worked there that I was technically employed. Having spoken to a solicitors they've agreed it can come under employment law and I have a meeting with them in about a weeks time. Fingers crossed for me girls I would really like to teach this fella that you cannot treat women like that in this day and age, especially over something that is so special.

You've all been a great help and it really has helped keep my spirits up about things. I love our community on here, hopefully my next post will bring better news. I hope one day I get to meet most of you to thank you all personally :hug:

Really glad you've had some positive news, I did think the IR site might help clarify things for you, its always a good test. Here's hoping you things are on the up for you and that your old landlord gets his comeupance!

Keep positive :o)

Hey girls sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately I've called most of my clients and it seems he has had his say to them because they've decided not to continue their treatments. However a few of them have kept with me and Ive managed to find someone where to rent to continue things.

Thank you to the geek that mentioned talking to the inland revenue. Ive spoken to my book keeper and looked on the IR site. According to them both since I had to answer to a manager and I only worked there that I was technically employed. Having spoken to a solicitors they've agreed it can come under employment law and I have a meeting with them in about a weeks time. Fingers crossed for me girls I would really like to teach this fella that you cannot treat women like that in this day and age, especially over something that is so special.

You've all been a great help and it really has helped keep my spirits up about things. I love our community on here, hopefully my next post will bring better news. I hope one day I get to meet most of you to thank you all personally :hug:

I wonder what he said to them, did any of the clients let you know? He must of told some lies otherwise if it was the truth no client would find that exceptable!
Is the new place near where you was before? If it is get yourself a big advert with a photo of yourself in the local paper & a leaflet drop too with your photo & details on.
Goodluck with your meeting, hope it goes well.
Yes this pig of a man needs a lesson learnt.
GIRL POWER :) Keep us posted x
x:hug:x

Hi geeks,

I know this thread is a little old now but I thought I would update it incase anyone else had the same problems and is trying to search for it.

I would like to let you all know that after a couple of months of phoning solicitors it all got very complicated and I sort of gave up on be able to do anything about it. Fees and no income for myself meant I couldn't afford the solicitors and the CAB in my area ended up not being very helpful (since they are only open until 11.30am). Everything seemed very dark and with no hope.

Then a week before my 3 months deadline, a friend who owns a pub near me. Pulled me into his office one night when I was up there and got very tearful over the whole thing. After explaining to him how I felt and what went on, he got me to call ACAS.

I explained everything to them, ACAS told me to fill out a Tribunal form detailing everything as I could have a case under the grounds of Unfair Dismissal and Sex discrimination due to pregnancy/maternity. Even if you are self employed, you are still protected if you are pregnant and have rights.

To cut a long story short. My case was accepted, sent to the tribunal and my old 'Boss' never responded. Since then the deadline has passed and I have been awarded with my case going in my favour .
They are now deciding on my compensation for this and I am very happy. Not because of the money but because it is now recognized by law that what he done to me was wrong. It's given me a little self worth back even with still no work and 3 months of my pregnancy to go.

So to anyone in the same position as me please do try ACAS. You have to represent yourself if you go to court but the outcome could go in your favour and that is not worth giving up the fight.

I want to thank everyone else on here aswell who left their comments after reading this. I truly adore this site and the people on it, I wish alot of other communities were like this one :hug:

awww,i am really glad that this has been sorted out in the end, and that your still working and happy. i really hope that vile man gets his cummupocnce one day! good luck with the rest of your pregnancy hun xxx:hug:

This is fantastic news, I am so pleased for you, it lovely when the story turns out good in the end, thank you for updating us x:hug:x

Thats great news people like him shouldnt get away with it every dog has its day ! hope your keeping well not long to your wee bunddle of joy will be here xx

What wonderful news! Well done. Now it's time to relax without the worry of tribunals etc and look forward to the arrival of your baby. Congratulations. :hug:

Congrats for sticking it out...who knows how many other women he's done this to over the years...he won't be doing it again though.

Congrats on the case and I hope all goes well with the birth!

Latest posts

Back