Pregnant and given the boot because of it

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail Effect

Reaction score
Hi guys

Ive just been asked to leave my salon today after my landlord found out I am pregnant (recent news to me too). He was earwigging a private conversation myself and my client were having about what was in my head as this is my first pregnancy and im very frightened to say the least.

Hes sent me a txt stating that i am to leave as I am pregnant and havent told him (i only found out 3 days ago) and when I called him he said that I wouldnt be there to make him money anyway and to get my stuff and go.

Im in complete tears as I dont know what to do and now Im panicing about xmas. I know its illegal to sack someone if they are pregnant but does the same thing work for the self employed? i dont really know where to start or who to talk to about this ..... if anyone could help me at the moment Id appreciate it. xx

keep the text message. This is discrimination and i'm sure still illegal.
You have very strong rights when you are pregnant to protect you from being treated like this, though more rights when you are employed I think. Take a google into it and visit the CAB, I'm sure they will have come accross it before (sadly) dont let this awful man think he can get away with it!
And congratulations too! xx

Last edited:
Thank you, but its now not a happy situation. I was just starting to believe i could cope with it all but without a job I now feel lost. I was self employed but he took a % of my earnings so Ill have to wait for the CAB to open in the morning. Some people can be so cruel. Thanks for taking the time to read, id be so lost without this site and the geeks on it!

P.S just got a call from him saying if I tell anyone about what hes done hes going to come after me with the solicitors, I can see this turning nasty.

That is HORRID! I'm so sorry for you!
I don't know the legality's of it all , but I know you will get support from all of us Hun x

congratulations on your pregnancy please don't feel scared! its a beautiful thing enjoy it it goes to quick x

Thank you again girls

Ive just spoken to the ACAS because I have no contract of employment they have advised speaking to CAB. But I dont have a contract as my landlord refused to draw one up so I dont know how far im going to get with this.
If I was employed it seems to be another story. Ill have to speak wit CAB and let you all know how I get on xx

oh dear :( , don't answer any more calls from him as it will just get you more upset which you don't need to be right now. What a nasty piece of work. You definitely have rights with this sort of thing it is taken very seriously. Congrats on your pregnancy hun enjoy it its a blessing :) xxx

That is just awful, I can't believe someone could be so cruel. I hope you get this sorted out. I'm afraid I can't offer any further advice as I'm new to all of this. Congratulations on your pregnancy and stay strong hun! :hug:

OMG I can't believe that stuff like this still happens in this day and age!! Disgusting!!

Get down to the CAB and take their advice. Keep any correspondence he has with you - record his rants if necessary! And don't let him scare you with the garbage he's coming out with. The only reason he'll need a solicitor is to defend himself lol.

If he keeps ringing you and shouting down the phone I'd complain to the police. I doubt they would do anything unless he's threatening you but there would be a record of your complaint.

Obviously you don't want to have anything to do with someone like this but out of principle he can't just force you out :hug: x

This guy sounds absolutely disgusting!!! Can you contact your own solicitor as well as CAB? I have had to use CAB before with a previous employer and found them really helpful.

I hope things work out for you - I'm sure you are in the right so keep this in mind all the time and hope it gives you some strength :)

It's got nothing to do with being cruel; it's all about being ignorant of the law.

Are you a member of the FSB?
I know I keep banging on about them, but I can't stress enough the benefits of membership. You get legal advice as part of membership and in this instance it would be hugely beneficial to you to have that reassurance.
I don't think this is a police matter; it's more a civil thing. Keep a written log of his phone calls; in the event they are needed they can be corrorobated against his and your phone records.

Not a nice situation to be in, but unfortunately not everything in life is nice.

Congratulations on your pregnancy, by the way!

Also, just another thought, You may not have a written contract but you have been working on his premesis under a verbal agreement still, which although more complicated is still a contract.
He sounds vile, but i just want to reiterate what has been said above, you have support here from us.
I'm pregnant too and understand how up and down you can feel, without the added stress of ignorant people, try not to let it upset you anymore. You cant change what has already happened but you can react to it with dignity and courage to get yourself through it, these things are just sent to test us and will make us stronger, more experienced individuals in the future :hug:

I don't know what the 'memory' is like on your phone, but take CLEAR pictures of the text messages and file them away, just in case.
I would also suggest approaching local tv news station about the situation.... they might like that kind of story and would cause him and others LIKE him to think twice before trying same again.

GOOD LUCK and don't let that piece of @#$%^&*() treat you like this
giant :hug:

congratulations!

as for the neathertal well he knows he's wrong hence why he wants to shut you up but on the plus side you could politely remind him that if you have no contract that means:

a) you can take all your clients with you with no come back
b) open up next door to him doing exactly the same thing

that would put the wind up him 'cause you could really screw his business!!

go get the bastard!!!:lick:

What a horrible situation to be in I really feel for you.

This time should be so happy & exciting for you & he has just put a downer on your feelings - what a nasty pig of a man!
What was he doing earwigging a private conversations for?!
Maybe he wanted to get you out & thinks he has found a reason?

Do you rent a room from the landlord or rent the whole salon from him?

I would look into finding somewhere else on your doorstep, you dont need to have any stress.

Congratulations to both you & chocolate pickle x:hug:x:hug:x

Hi huni, what a horrid thing to face.
Keep very calm and cool, I know easier said thatn done, but your professional behaviour will go for you, if it needs to go further.

Do you have a shop key? This will prove that you where given the right to be there, incase he denies all knowlede of any verbal agreement between both of you. Not essential but useful.

Write down, when you started there. How much you have paid him monthly or weekly. List this, payment by payment.
Ask for receipts for %£ paid, again payment by payment.

I bet you anything, that
A. he hasn't declared any money given to him by you.
B. thats it is going straight in his pocket.
C. He wouldn't be happy if his accounts where to be checked y Inland Revenue.

A verbal agreement is still an agreement and you can counterclaim for stress, loss of earning, intimidation and discrimination.

He told you not to tell anyone or else he will chase you with his legal team. Yea right, bring it on. He knows that he is in the wrong and on very dodgy ground.
What you will have to decide is: do you still want to work there after all this has finished? Would a settlement fee, compensation work for you?

Take good legal advise on this, don't be frightend to bring him to justice.
Much love and huge support from us here xxxx

I think you should mention to him that you might go to the papers, local and national. Even if you have no intention of doing so im sure the very thought of it will have him grovelling to you, if he is that bothered about his business he certainly won't want the papers all over him like a rash, which I really think they would !

Good luck with your pregnancy :hug:

This man is a bully. How dare he intimidate you like that.

We're all behind you hun
xx

Thank you again girls for all your support.

Lynne - I'm not a member but I WILL be seriously looking into joining after this as it is becoming a nightmare

Ruth - Thank you for your reply, my partner and I love you attitude. Unfortunately I gave the keys back but I have loads of delivery receipts etc that shows my name and the address of the salon on there. there seems to be no chance of me going back to work in the salon, the owner was quite adimant im to leave because im pregnant on the phone stating " Well you wont be here to earn me money will you?"

The one thing I'm going to stress to people is that it seems if you have no written contract it is very fuzzy lines. Ive been passed about by CAB, EHRC and the CLA.

The problem seems to be that because there was only a verbal agreement then it makes the owner have the right to kick me out for whatever reason no matter how harsh it is, so it would fail to come under employment law.

I have found a local solicitors who say it can come under Civil Litigation, but I starting to loose hope on the justice system helping me out here. Ill have to wait till they can see me and they say hopefully they can find a way to help me considering my circumstances :cry:

Ill keep this updated just incase this thread helps someone else who gets into the same situation as me, I really hope no one does.

Thank you all again for all your support, even if nothing come of this. You have all really lightened my mood about it all including my pregnancy xxx:hug:

P.S Im loving the newspaper idea lol

Latest posts

Back