Product reaction... Sinuses really bunged up, like hayfever?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LCbeauty

Reaction score
I've noticed that when i've been doing treatments at a Pamper Party my sinuses get really bunged up and I can't stop sneezing. It starts almost instantly and gradually gets worse as the night goes on.
I can only describe it as hayfever, although I have never actually had hayfever!?
I have narrowed it down to either Gelbond, which I use with DD, Scrubfresh or Shellac? :sad: The dust from filing goes for me too it think!

I had a PP last night and all 10 ladies had DD with Shellac. I could hardly sleep last night as I couldn't breathe and today i've felt awful and can barely speak as i'm so congested.

It completely clears within a couple of days, providing I don't have any appointments that include DD or Shellac, but as these treatments are so popular I feel so congested most of the time and it's really starting to bug me!

I've recently been taking antihistamine tablets but they don't seem to be helping.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and can anyone offer any advice/hints/tips?

Do you think wearing a mask will help?

Thanks!

Hello! Yes I have the same thing after doing l and p and when I first open up a tub of bleach for hairdressing, I start to sneeze. I had a dust allergy as a teen, which I had grown out of as I grew up. I never ever get hay fever from pollen. So I went to my doctors and they gave me anti histamines which I havent needed to use yet, and told me to wear a mask around work that created dust. I have the proper graded masks get them from a proper comapany, google dust masks. They are the same ones builders use, but they look identicle to normal masks, but have been proven to block out dust. They said my allergy had come back, well since I have been using my mask, the problem has gone! When I look at all the dust created when filing, I think I was in denial about the dangers of dust, being mobile I havent got any dust extraction, other than a well ventialted room. So now when doing L and P the mask stays on. I make sure I go outside and dust myself down afterwards (easy for me as can do it when ive left the clients house). Put all the clothes Ive had on in the washat end of the day so they cant make their way into the laundry in my room, make sure I wash hands thoroughly after every treatment (which I was doing anyway, along with never eating anything untill hands are scrubbed). I dont keep my towels in the house ether,they stay in the shed till they have been washed. This has solved the problem for me, I mean I was doing all the things above anyway except the clothes not coming into my room, and the mask. But now the extra effort has solved the problem xxx

Yep - me too. I posted a simliar thread back in December. Was so frustrated as I sneezed and had streaming eyes all the time! I thought I would have to stop doing services - I only do Shellac and Minx! No extensions.

I wore masks (plain ones but they did not help). Although the valved ones as suggested above are supposed to be better.

The main thing that change dmy life in the job was a 'Fuminator'. I got it from NSI but they discontinuing them due to supplier problems. However there are several suppliers that stock them. PM me if you need to know and I will check when back in on Tuesday as I have the name of one of them. This sucks dusts and fumes away immediately. I have nver had a problem since and it has changed my life at work!

If I have a really bad day I also use Flixotide nose spray and this sorts it immediately. I also changed my bin to a metal one and swapped my towels to Scrummi single use bio degradable ones.

HTH!! :biggrin:

Yes i get this too!
Don't think i have it really bad though, just seems to be as soon as i pour acrylic in my dappen dish!. Within a few mins my nose starts to get really dry and stuffy but as soon as i leave the house its gone!

I get it to my eyes and my nose start running like mad. I do take a anti histamine and it does make it better but sometimes when I go to bed I carnt breathe through my nose as it's then bunged up x

I may have to look into the fuminator.. do you have the names of any suppliers. I say my symptoms have stopped, I mean the extreme ones. I still wake up bunged up in the mornings, but im sure I was like that before I did nails. Before i wore a mask, I used to get sinus pain, headeach, tiredness, stuffy nose, like I had a full blown cold, if I had done L and P the night before. Its actualy realy worrying that people are having to take anti histamines to do their job. My doctor told me that if the mask and anti histamines didnt work, I had to stop doing what was causing the allergy. Luckily I seem to be keeping it under controll, and it only happens with L and P. So many people are into minx, shellac, gel toes etc, that im not doing that much l and p anyway, which im actualy glad about, as the dust and smell were starting to realy annoy me! Much prefer minx and shellac. No smell, no dust! xx

You can get a product from boots but I can't remembe what its called its used for hayfevere and its abit like vasaline but thicker and not as shiny and you put it round your nostrils and then the dust or whatever can't get up ur nose to make you sneeze it sticks to the product! I found this helped my hayfever! Xx

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Thanks for all your replies.

I'm not doing any nail extensions/l&p. I am only doing DD, Shellac & Minx, so not much dust (if any) but yet i'm completely congested! It must be the fumes from Gelbond/Scrubfresh/Shellac? :sad:

Will look into the fuminator. If you could supply names that would be great and i'll research it. I will also look into buying masks & Flixotide nasal spray.

Willing to try anything!

You're not doing anything that creates any dust so it can't be that therefore masks and the nasal product won't help. (Shellac and Minx need no buffing except on the odd occasion). You can get vapour masks but they are huge and impractical.

It would seem that it could be a vapour (not fumes) of one of the products. I suggest you isolate which one it is by exposing your self to one at a time i.e. one a day. That should tell you which one it is then you can try a different product. You should try to find out asap as it will only get worse over time if it is an allergy.

It would seem that it could be a vapour (not fumes) of one of the products. I suggest you isolate which one it is by exposing your self to one at a time i.e. one a day. That should tell you which one it is then you can try a different product. You should try to find out asap as it will only get worse over time if it is an allergy.

I think you're right. I've narrowed it down to 3 so I will definitely do a test by isolating them.

What would you suggest as an alternative for (1)Gelbond, (2)Scrubfresh, (3)Shellac? - Please God don't let it be Shellac!!!

Last edited:
The Fuminator really helps me (I ONLY do Shellac and Minx!!!)

Since I got it I have rarely had a problem. If I do - I use Flixotide and the sneezing and watery eyes stops.

The Fuminator is a clever little gadget and cost me about £70. I did ALOT of research and thought I may have had to buy a Purex table but don't:biggrin:. This was recommended by another Geek...

Here it is!!

BEAUTY Bench Top Fume and Dust Extractor Fan-BLACK

Great, looks like the very thing I need! Thank you.

I get this too! Not as severely as some of you poor things :( But usually the day after I have been doing a lot of L&P my sinuses are up and I can hardly breathe through my nose! I've considered wearing a mask but I think it would spark concerns from clients :s

I've considered wearing a mask but I think it would spark concerns from clients :s

My thoughts too!

Bought some nasal spray today, doesn't seem to have helped any! :sad:

The masks didn't help me at all and they are annoying. When I first used the spray I needed maximum dosage..Dont forget you need to remove the cause too! get the Fuminator and then see how the combination of the 2 works...hope this helps you as much as it helped me:wink2:

I think you're right. I've narrowed it down to 3 so I will definitely do a test by isolating them.

What would you suggest as an alternative for (1)Gelbond, (2)Scrubfresh, (3)Shellac? - Please God don't let it be Shellac!!!

Let us know if you find out which one it is, I am intrigued (as I got an allergies to Bio Sculptures Sanitiser )

Latest posts

Back