Professional Beauty - Dublin - Comps - Any results?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a little point.
Jackie referred to "professional" competitors. Im not sure what that refers to, but just to put the record straight, I have been placed 1st in the UK 10 times in the last 10 years, I have travelled to Germany and the US to compete.

Sorry, Liza, 'professional' was a bad choice of words, I'm trying to keep everything short as my blimmin' keyboard is broken and keeps adding letters as I type - it's most frustrating and affecting my brain.

It would be nice if there were some Irish nail techs who entered the competitions here this year could give their opinions, but I dont think many, if any of them are members of this forum (although one of the Egan Creative girls was placed - well done!). And even if there were some here, they probably wouldn't say anything 'out loud' for fear of reprisals.

The way I see it, how are the comp organisers supposed to get feedback if no-one voices their opinion? I heard what was being said at the show and thought it important to let it be heard by others.

Do the 'serial winners' really get as much of a thrill winning against techs that aren't as yet in the same league as themselves as they do from serious competition?

Jackie

Last edited:
I think it is very sad that any comment was made regarding the UK competitors.

I have to agree with Kirsty, surely it must prove to techs over in Ireland that here in the UK us techs have achieved such a high standard by working our socks off not only to win competitions, but to raise the standard of Nail services in general. And up to now we are doing a damn good job!

When I entered the nailympics and didn't get placed, I didn't moan about entrants from other countries coming to my country and doing me out of a place?!!!:rolleyes: No, it showed me how techs, especially from Korea, have worked damn hard and are totally committed, and next time I need to put more effort and practice in beforehand to have a chance of coming any where close!!!!

On a more serious note, I know that a friend of mine has been very upset by this whole thing, as she now feels like her placing has been de-valued. :cry: Had anyone even thought about how this might upset the techs from the UK that did do well???

Sorry, Liza, 'professional' was a bad choice of words, I'm trying to keep everything short as my blimmin' keyboard is broken and keeps adding letters as I type - it's most frustrating and affecting my brain.

It would be nice if there were some Irish nail techs who entered the competitions here this year could give their opinions, but I dont think many, if any of them are members of this forum (although one of the Egan Creative girls was placed - well done!). And even if there were some here, they probably wouldn't say anything 'out loud' for fear of reprisals.

The way I see it, how are the comp organisers supposed to get feedback if no-one voices their opinion? I heard what was being said at the show and thought it important to let it be heard by others.

Do the 'serial winners' really get as much of a thrill winning against techs that aren't as yet in the same league as themselves as they do from serious competition?

Jackie

I'm sorry Jackie but what do mean by 'fear of reprisals'? What reprisal do you think there would be? :confused: xx

God, I wish I had a new keyboard, it's taking me half an hour to reply each time.

Lou, if my comments have upset your friend then I'm sorry, it was not my intention. But I had more than one friend upset at the show.

What nobody seems to want to understand is that I'm questioning how fair it is to allow someone who has won over and over again in their own country to be placed in the same 'level' as someone who may have been lucky enough to have been placed 3rd a few years ago here and is now stuck in the 'Master' level, when their nail skills that gave them the third place initially, really weren't up to the standard in the first place but because the nail comps are only a few years old here, people were placed when they shouldn't have been. I saw the standard of nails being placed a few years back and some of them were horrendous, but entrants were few at the time because it was new.

If the rules were changed this would encourage more Irish Nail Techs to compete (considering it is billed as a 'National' rather than 'International' nail comp). This would in turn give them the encouragement they needed to build on their comp skills rather than not bothering because of more experienced comp entrants from other countries who have been on the comp circuit a lot longer than anyone here taking the places.

I'm sorry Jackie but what do mean by 'fear of reprisals'? What reprisal do you think there would be? :confused: xx

Lou, I'm sorry, I'm not being nasty, truly I'm not, but I'm laughing here now (despite my keyboard). :lol:

As with any competition, the amount of back-biting is tremendous (and I dare anyone involved with the comps to say hand on heart they have never heard any kind of bitching going on!). And I have heard certain things said at previous comps (whispered maybe a little too loudly) here that would stop me from saying anything at all controversial if I was wanting to do well in the comps.

Nail techs here, especially young, 'un-seasoned' ones will bite their tongue rather than risk drawing attention to themselves for the wrong reason - who can blame them? I'm not saying everyone involved in the comps is like that, but I often wonder if the floor judges should be completely different to the ones that judge the nails so there is no chance of knowing who did them. I obviously shouldn't have been listening at the time, but I once overheard something not so nice said about myself by someone who was involved in the comps , not sure why I was mentioned because I hadn't actually entered that year! It happens, personalities clash and some pecople might not like to voice their concerns or opinions because of it.

I understand what your trying to say Jackie.

but firstly its not down to luck its down to skill and that comes from practise, classes and competing against those you can learn from and secondly the comps here are billed as national too, apart from the nailympics, unless things have changed while I have been away:)

Hi

I'am going to reply to this thread as someone who was at the nail comp.

I got two 2nd places T&O L&P and Free forms sculpting also 3rd best international tech :)yipee Something that I have been working my ass of to get !!! I think personally that I deseved my Placements as I can see a huge improvement in my work from when I first started competing.

I'am sorry if I took these places of of the Irish girls/guys but they can feel free to come to Scotland and compete. There is nothing stoping them coming over. Yes it is a huge expense but it is worth it. The fun and experience that you gain is great and helps you improve your work.

I think you are totally under estatemating the Irish competitors we all have it in us for a win it just whether it comes out or not.

I hope to see some Irish techs at Manchester tommorow and monday, and if they beat me then good. I'll try harder the next time.

All I can say is that am OVER THE MOON with my placements and lets hope I can get a win out of me sometime in the future.

A huge welldone to Pippa Hebden. She got four 1st. Manicure, T&O L&P , Everyday extention and 1st best international tech.
Well done to Tracy Boon 3rd Photographic, Blinda Price 1st wraps 2nd best international and a few others that I don't know there names sorry.

Sarah x

Jackie

In the 20 years I have been organising and judging competions ... there has been 'crabbing' and winging after EVERY competition ... nothing new there. :lol:

As for the serial winners ... trust me ... for them the answer is YES, A WIN IS A WIN. THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS. No one is ever going to ask them what the level of the compettion was like. Winning is more than enough.

Jackie

I'd just like to have a little say here as a fellow Irish nail tech - I can see the angle that Jackie is coming from, however.......

I couldn't care less where competitors are travelling from - the fact that competitors are seeing it as worthwhile to come to Ireland means that Ireland is being put on the map in Nail World - which is a good thing.

If competitors from other countries get placed above Irish techs - then so be it. It means the Irish techs weren't good enough. It's not afterall an Irish/English thing it's a good/bad at nails thing?! Nails are not that young in Ireland but are not as established as in the UK or other countries, especially in more rural parts. I think that competitors coming over to us here in Ireland to showcase their skills should enthuse and excite techs that weren't placed - it should give them something to aspire to be like - thus raising the standard for nails all round?!

As for 'getting a thrill out of beating someone who isn't in the same league as them' - nails being young or old in Ireland - if you're not in the same league, you shouldn't be competing and to say that UK techs look at the Irish competition as not serious competition kinda undermines the Irish - surely the Irish techs consider themselves to be serious competition? You surely don't enter a competition unless you think you have the skills to back it up?? Do you.......?

i can see both sides but in fairness to jackie nails are young in ireland, theres very little training available, esp in nrthern ireland. up till recently the only courses were in dublin - creative and ezflow. i travelled for 5 hrs to do my brisa course! its probably easier to get placed in ireland as standards prob arent as high as in the mainland. its does cost a lot of money to enter, thats why i didnt enter this yr and im glad now cos i wouldnt want to compete against the hotshots!:)

Well we irish love an auld moan :) Didnt get to go to the show this year but am sure whoever won what deserved it because their nails were the best. Am hopin to enter next year for the experience.

Latest posts

Back