Protecting your enhancements

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shell28

Reaction score
Im sorry geeks if this has been asked before...............

What do you use/do to protect your nails when working on clients as my nails get trashed!!

Im sorry geeks if this has been asked before...............

What do you use/do to protect your nails when working on clients as my nails get trashed!!

Hi Michelle - many of our teks use Flexx Wrap. It wraps around the finger / fingers that you fget in the way and it protects them. It's comfortable and easy to use. Just a thought and HTH's!:!:

Shell, if you get some tech tape, it will protect your nails, it is like a wrap that sticks to itself. I wouldn't be without mine.

You can get it from lots of places, CND sell it as do Sallys etc.

hth:hug:

Thanks for your help i will invest in some :)

Hi the girls are spot on the flex tape is amazing, and you can buy it in different colours......so cute..:):)

Hi the girls are spot on the flex tape is amazing, and you can buy it in different colours......so cute..:):)

We have Hot Pink!!!

The graham hands down pads are also very good at protecting your nails/enamel, They are plastic backed so scrub fresh can't remove your enamel as you are working.

Last edited:
Think claire means cant remove your polish. He he. X x
Posted via Mobile Device

I <3 pink fingerwrap. It makes my fingers look slightly cooler as I'm working! I sometimes wear a glove on my left hand when filing with my right if I have blingtastic nails on, its easier to pop it on and off than wrapping my fingers and nails for each client :)
Posted via Mobile Device

I've given up polishing my own nails as i can't help removing my own polish when working with clients. But to prevent filing my own nails i use flex wrap. It's super. As it sticks to itself desn't leave any residues on the skin. The only downside it that it need to be replaced for each client as it atracts the dust, and gets a bit dirty towards the end of the service.

To protect them from filing, I use the rubber finger thingies from the office supply store. EZ on and EZ off...they work fab and are super inexpensive.

To protect from polish remover/acetone, I use a plastic backed pad. HTH! :)

Would it be rude of me to ask why anyone should be filing their own nails?

Why not just learn to hold your clients fingers so that your nails do not get in the way? As the Meercat says .... simplezzzzz!

1 Hold the finger with your thumb and index finger

2 Tuck your middle finger right under the finger you are holding to support the finger while working.

3 Last but not least ... this is the important bit ... cock your wrist so that it is at right angles to the finger so that the base of your thumb is nowhere near the finger instead of all scrunched up against it! (Your elbow should be angled out instead of by your side) This opens a huge window in which you can work and your own nails are nowhere near the file. PLUS your arm is supported on the table (as your other arm should be) which will eliminate any elbow or shoulder aches forever!! Voilà

Would it be rude of me to ask why anyone should be filing their own nails?

Why not just learn to hold your clients fingers so that your nails do not get in the way? As the Meercat says .... simplezzzzz!

1 Hold the finger with your thumb and index finger

2 Tuck your middle finger right under the finger you are holding to support the finger while working.

3 Last but not least ... this is the important bit ... cock your wrist so that it is at right angles to the finger so that the base of your thumb is nowhere near the finger instead of all scrunched up against it! (Your elbow should be angled out instead of by your side) This opens a huge window in which you can work and your own nails are nowhere near the file. PLUS your arm is supported on the table (as your other arm should be) which will eliminate any elbow or shoulder aches forever!! Voilà

Hallelujah! :hug: thanks for the advice,

I have already grown a little callous on my left index finger's first knuckle... my father said, child, are you hand - sewing leather shoes or what? :irked:

thanks, will try it your way :)

xx

Mmm...i'm sitting here cocking my wrist trying to understand what you mean Geeg. I must admit i do have my left elbow tight at my side when filing with my right hand and ALWAYS manage to file the outer edge of my index finger.

I must admit the way i hold the finger isn't something that i'm conscious about. Will take note next week and try your way.

I file my thumb and middle nail rounded by the end of the week...i know its cos i hold my file wrong but anything else just feels odd...and i have tried.

Mmm...i'm sitting here cocking my wrist trying to understand what you mean Geeg. I must admit i do have my left elbow tight at my side when filing with my right hand and ALWAYS manage to file the outer edge of my index finger.

I must admit the way i hold the finger isn't something that i'm conscious about. Will take note next week and try your way.

Cocking your wrist up and outward forces your elbow to follow it away from your side and onto the desk top. It really is the best ergonomic way to work.

Sometimes if holding the finger end and easing the skin away from the side wall it is necessary to also tuck your index finger under the end of your client's finger to keep it out of the way of the file. It's easy and offers you so much more in the way of freedom of movement.

In 25 years of doing nails, I have never suffered from elbow, shoulder or back problems.

Slightly off topic, but can anybody please tell me how I can stop getting cramp in my holding hand ( on the palm just below the thumb)...gawwd it's painful and I have to shake my hand to get rid of it.
Thanks
:hug:

Del I get this too...i find it worst with clients who are a little ridged....the more the client relaxes there hands the less i have to grip so hard.

It could well be me 'fighting' with my clients and I have been told that I've got a 'frim' grip :lol:, but it's happening with every client and by the end of the day my hand feels bruised and abused.(it doesn't stop me typing and putting my pennys worth in geek land though :lol:)
I've got very small hands so mayby I'm over compensating by holding on too tight ??
:hug:

I'd probably say you're holding too tightly and tensing. Try relaxing your hand, if the client has the stiff, t-rex arm syndrome, tell them to bring their hand closer and relax.
Posted via Mobile Device

Latest posts

Back