Pure coconut oil

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It also has a natural SPF of 5 or 7 depending who u believe!

It's immensely healthy and great for cooking with as has a high smoke point too.

Here's some more facts I loved reading when started using it. Health food shops are generally best for the pure Virgin stuff that can be used for everything.
http://wellnessmama.com/5734/101-uses-for-coconut-oil/

This may be a daft question but does the pure coconut oil smell the same as the commercial coconut body cream / lotions etc that you can buy ?

Great on newborn skin too x

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Hiya

Just wondering if the coconut cream would be great for new stretch marks i have x

This may be a daft question but does the pure coconut oil smell the same as the commercial coconut body cream / lotions etc that you can buy ?

No none of mine have actually smelt like coconut! X

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1388246603.183666.jpg
Here's a pic of the one I'm using ATM has no smell and is like a wax consistency until it touches your fingers then it turns to oil x

I'd love to use it as I've always been aware and read the benefits but my problem is coconut smell and taste make me gag! I just can't stand it for some reason and I wouldn't have a weak stomach of overly fussy with food but my nose just refuses to like it! Such a pity
I have this pure coconut oil & it doesn't smell or taste of coconut but has all the benefits :wink2:. I got mine from the supermarket (can't remember if it was Asda or Tesco).
PURE COCONUT OIL CONDITIONER KTC BRAND NEW 500ml | eBay

It does have a smell to it but not the artificial coconut smell that body lotions etc smell of. If you are using it for topical use (skin/hair) you could add a few drops of your favourite essential oil if you do not like the smell or it. The best way to do this would be to melt it, by placing the jar in hot water, then add the essential oil and let cool :)

When you see the size of my coconut oil you'll all 'lol'

I'm going into town tomorrow and will def be looking out for some coconut oil, is holland and Barrett the best place to buy it? X

I'm going into town tomorrow and will def be looking out for some coconut oil, is holland and Barrett the best place to buy it? X

Gt some in there today, its in the one cent sale so I got two of them for basically the price of one :) also it was 25% off!

Thanks to OP for such an interesting thread. Definitely going to get some for my hair! How often would you recommend using coconut oil and also how long to leave it on the hair for before shampooing off? (My hair is coloured and heat damaged)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Gt some in there today, its in the one cent sale so I got two of them for basically the price of one :) also it was 25% off!

Thanks, I'll be straight in there tomorrow! My hair is so damaged I'm always looking for great products to help get it healthy! X

How do you use it exactly on hair? Do you put it on dry hair or damp/wet hair?

Hm , not sold on this stuff! When I was a teen, I used to buy this coconut hair stuff from the Body Shop, it came in a tin and made your hair greasy as hell. Since then, I can't stand anything with coconut in it, unless it's Rafaello! :biggrin:

I've had it for ages. I suffer from psoriasis on my scalp & body and it works a treat.
I put it on my scalp, leave it for 30 mins before washing off. Leaves my hair so soft & smooth that I don't hardly need to use straighteners anymore.
I also use a little at night on my face. It's great because it doesn't clog pores xx

Thanks to OP for such an interesting thread. Definitely going to get some for my hair! How often would you recommend using coconut oil and also how long to leave it on the hair for before shampooing off? (My hair is coloured and heat damaged)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

As for how long to leave it on your hair, a study from a couple of years ago found that within one hour the hair can absorb about 15% of its weigh in coconut oil, if left for six hours it increases up to about 20%-25%.

If you hair is damaged then presumably it would absorb the oil at a faster rate.

As for how long to leave it on your hair, a study from a couple of years ago found that within one hour the hair can absorb about 15% of its weigh in coconut oil, if left for six hours it increases up to about 20%-25%.

If you hair is damaged then presumably it would absorb the oil at a faster rate.

But do you put it on dry hair or damp hair? Do you add water and shampoo it out? Thanks

But do you put it on dry hair or damp hair? Do you add water and shampoo it out? Thanks

Theres different ways, but I heard you can massage into dry hair then put on a shower cap. & wash out a few hours later on for a treatment :)

There are lots of different ways you can use it & it will depend on what you feel works best for you.

Before I cut my hair short I used to put it on last thing at night (on dry hair, rub lots in to my scalp & roots and then apply more to the lengths & ends so the whole of my hair was covered in the oil) then I'd sleep in it and wash it off in the morning.
I found applying shampoo to dry hair & then adding a little water seemed to work best at removing the oil :wink2:

You can use the oil with your shampoo or conditioner when washing your hair - put equal amounts of oil to shampoo or conditioner and wash as normal.

You can also use it as a leave in anti frizz & shine treatment - being carefull with how much you use as too much will make it look greasy.

Latest posts

Back