putting dog in a boarding kennel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Han*

Reaction score
Hi guys me and my b/f are planning to go away in september for 4 nights and we will have to put our dog into kennels for the 4 nights, has anyone else done this? Was your dog ok there, I will feel really bad for leaving him and will probly cry!! lol I know im soft!hehe. Im going to view a boarding kennel tmoz morning to make sure its ok!

I know this isnt nail related but just wanted some advice! xx:hug: xx

Good that you are going to have a look around the kennel first....if you don't like it or get a good vibe from it, check out another and another until you find the right one!

Cathie! said:
Good that you are going to have a look around the kennel first....if you don't like it or get a good vibe from it, check out another and another until you find the right one!

Thanx hun yeh thats what im going to do wanna find the right one! xx

My dog doesn't go to a kennel, he goes to a holiday home for dogs!:lol:
Seriously, it's lovely. They have rooms with a TV and a bed of the floor. It's great, real home from home.
It's always best to go by recommendation from someone else. Always go and check it out first. Look and the accomodation, it shouldn't smell at all. If it's smelly and looks more like a prison camp run!
There are more and more of these holiday home types available now because people appreciate that pet owners want the best for their animals. The best advice I can give you is look around. Good luck.
Jane x

Jane said:
My dog doesn't go to a kennel, he goes to a holiday home for dogs!:lol:
Seriously, it's lovely. They have rooms with a TV and a bed of the floor. It's great, real home from home.
It's always best to go by recommendation from someone else. Always go and check it out first. Look and the accomodation, it shouldn't smell at all. If it's smelly and looks more like a prison camp run!
There are more and more of these holiday home types available now because people appreciate that pet owners want the best for their animals. The best advice I can give you is look around. Good luck.
Jane x

awwwwwwwww thanx hun. the holiday home thing sounds really nice! im not sure if anywhere around where i live does that though!! yeh i will be taking note of everything there! hes like my little baby so feel bad about leaving him so i want the best! hehe! xx

my westie goes to kennels has done scince he was a pup as we have family all over the uk and i think cause he started off young ..about 1 year old he doesnt mind it ...but sometimes he looks at me like pooh when i pick him up...the kennel owner says its cause he wants to stay there....yeh cheers love :smack:

*JOANNE* said:
my westie goes to kennels has done scince he was a pup as we have family all over the uk and i think cause he started off young ..about 1 year old he doesnt mind it ...but sometimes he looks at me like pooh when i pick him up...the kennel owner says its cause he wants to stay there....yeh cheers love :smack:

lmao!! i bet he thinks how could u leave me here!lol Bet hes glad to see u though!!! I will be dreading leaving him! lol
xx:hug: xx

welsh_hannah said:
lmao!! i bet he thinks how could u leave me here!lol Bet hes glad to see u though!!! I will be dreading leaving him! lol
xx:hug: xx
the first time is like leaving your kid at school for his first day, but he will be round other dogs and going for walks, so he will have a social life with his canine mates whilst your away...thats how i think of it

*JOANNE* said:
the first time is like leaving your kid at school for his first day, but he will be round other dogs and going for walks, so he will have a social life with his canine mates whilst your away...thats how i think of it
yeh good way of thinking of it! just thought id post a pic of him hope nobody minds! xx

i have put my dog in kennels for the past couple of times ive been away. not to put a damper on things or anything hun but there is no way i wud put him back in there again. when he came out he nearly died and was in the vets for weeks, didnt think he was going to make it. i wouldnt risk it again

tara x

I have a lady who I pay by the hour to come to my house and feed and walk the dogs she gives them 2 long walks and a quickie at lunchtime as there is no way I would leave my dogs in kennels I just wouldnt rest the lady runs a business doing this she is police checked and has vets she can call on ect have a look ab out see if there is someone like that in your area.

take care Dawn

the kennels toddy goes to is recommended by a friend and when we went to see it it was great....again word of mouth is a better recommendation

I want to put my dog max into kennels for our summer hols, but do you know if any take husbands too!!

We had to put our dog Bria into kennels for 6 months quarantine when we came back from New Zealand, and she was absolutley spoiled rotten by the kennel staff, she was in the best of health, and condition when we got her out. And we could visit anytime we liked. So I would have no problem putting a dog into kennels for a few days, but only if you are happy with the establishment.

jac extreme said:
I want to put my dog max into kennels for our summer hols, but do you know if any take husbands too!!

oooh now there's an idea jac!!! :lol:

I have four dogs and we have never put any of them in kennels, we have always tailored our holidays to suit both them and us. Now they are in failing health we have forgone our holidays unless we get a doggie sitter to stay with them. Not that I have anything against kennels but our dogs are family and where we go they go. I know this won't work if you want to go abroad, but we don't, we have a lovely tent that we all share.

Joan

Thanx for your replys guys Ive been to view two kennels today one was lovely really clean and lots of space the second one i went to see was awful was really small, it smelt and there was dog mess everwhere, Ive got a couple more to see yet, but i really liked the first one i went to see they have been running them 50 years they are well known, I was talking to a lady there who was picking up her cat and she said they are fantastic! xx

I tried kennels for my Golden but would never use them again...they looked fine when I went there but she was filthy and smelled awful when she came home and her long hair was badly matted!! :eek: I then registered online with NARPS who have a list of both pet walkers who will visit your home and feed,water and walk your dog or people who will board your dog in their own home for you, in your area....I used the last option and it worked out great...there were 2 dogs and 3 children in the family and Amber loved going there and playing with them all....they charged me the same as kennels too so to me there was no point in subjecting her to kennels when she could live with a loving family, they are also fully insured...so Amber had a nice holiday too. :) NARPS can be found on the internet.

i used to rescue animals and heard and seen alot....ive nothing against boarding animals...but a good hint is...either a referal from someone you knowe or if you phone up and they give you a time to view, give it a big side berth....good kennels should be open all day to feel free to view when ever....GOOD LUCK:lol:

jac extreme said:

Haha, what a good idea!!

I had a great kennels I used to use when I lived in Bolton. They were recommended by a friend.
I have 3 boxers and cant just expect someone to house sit them all, so they used to go in a super duper large heated kennel together.
I remember the first time I left them, I think it was only for a weekend. I came to pick them up and the owner of the kennels explained that none of them had eaten a thing! :eek:
She said that some breeds or sensitive dogs dont,cos they are constantly thinking about they're owners! but are always ok. My dogs went mad when they saw me again after 3 days!!

After that, they got used to it and would go in about twice a year. However, they were always really grubby and I had to bath them every time I got them back!! :irked:

Now, cos I moved house, I am kind of in the same predicament and have to find another kennels local to me. But I dont know anyone around this town, so getting a recommended kennels thats near to me will be hard I think.
I'm on the case now....
xxx

Latest posts

Back