Realising you've jumped in too fast

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitterbox81

Reaction score
I only started up in November (home based salon) and have very quickly realised that I have taken on too much too soon. I'm still having to work my other 2 jobs (80+ hours a week) as we have a lot of debts to be paid off which isn't leaving me any time to dedicate to the business. I literally have no time to take appointments.

I'm not able to provide all the services I want to as time and money is also preventing training right now. Ditto learning to drive so I can also offer mobile/do bridal makeup.

Over the past couple of weeks it's come to a head and I've realised that I can't do everything right now. I think the most sensible option is to put the beauty on the back burner work like crazy in my other jobs this year to get the debts paid off and some money behind me for training and driving and then start afresh from a better position in 2014 able to dedicate time and money to making the beauty business the best it can be. I can't really give up either of my other jobs right now because I need the guaranteed income

But at the same time it's my dream and I hate the idea of giving up even temporarily. But better to pause it rather than force myself to keep going and fail completely right?

Yep, and better to pause it now before you build up a client base who would have to go elsewhere.
Nothing to stop you coming back to it later!

I think it's a very wise decision lovely, and I agree with Lynne with regards to a client base too.

Just because you temporarily close your doors to the public, it doesn't mean you can't keep up with industry news and products, with Geek and other resources you can still keep abreast with all that's going on in this fabulous industry of ours!

You have friends and family you can practice on still to keep your hand in and I think one of the important things to remember is that you're not stepping away from the industry, you're just not taking paying customers.

They are some big hours you're working there each week and as you say you need the steady income, but you also have to feel at your best. So spreading yourself across so many things could ultimately effect your health and personal life, so I think you have made a really good decision, for you and your future business venture by temporarily holding off on your home salon.

I think we sometimes underestimate the business side of this industry, we have to put in many hours besides the actual treatments themselves, to become successful.

As said honey, I think you've made a very wise decision :hug::hug::hug:

thanks, I think I just needed to hear it was the right thing. It's definitely affecting my health and I need to think about that too.

I'm still going to do friends and family and the couple of regulars I have but I'm not going to advertise for more business or anything until I'm in a better place. Plus going to spend the year really perfecting the stuff I've already learnt and doing more training (money permitting) so that when I reopen I'm super awesome at everything.

I'm also rethinking the home salon aspect as I'm really not enjoying having people in and out of the house so I think I'm going to look into renting salon space instead when I am ready.

You've made a very tough decision. I really hope it all works out for you this year so that you can come back fighting next year. As the others have said.. just because your not treating paying clients doesn't mean you cant keep up to date with all industry related news etc.

Your health comes first and if its affecting your health working mad hours then something has to give.
You can keep your toes in the water, keep doing treatments as and when you have some time and come back to it with a much easier financial situation and renewed focus.

I just wanted to say that you sound like a very determined person and one who will thrive in the beauty industry when the time is right.

You need to do what is right for you at this time and working 80+ hours a week is hard enough without you having additional stress.

A very tough decision to make but I think it is the right one. When you do come back to the industry you'll be fresh and ready and in a better place xxx

Latest posts

Back