Recession - What do you plan on changing in January 2009

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nail-lady

Reaction score
Hi geeks, having just read the previous threads on "how bad is the recession" is...it got me thinking....I wonder if anyone plans on doing things differntly in January 2009 purley becos i do. I have had the worst year since i have been doing nails (10 years). Will you change prices, becos you have too? Will you give any offers? Do you feel that you have to change becos of the current climate?

I realy want to be positive but its so hard:cry:, does anyone feel like this. I understand its a "Luxury" item.....but boots arnt closing down!!:mad:

Thanks for reading:lol:

what a great thread1

ok this year i will be taking five business cards out with me every i leave the house and will try and get rid of every one before i get home.

tigi

what a great thread1

ok this year i will be taking five business cards out with me every i leave the house and will try and get rid of every one before i get home.

tigi

Hi Tigi, What a great idea....Keep me updated on business you get from this. I ave thought about doing the same but perhaps put a little discount on the back and an expiry date (put put all different dates and offers, so they dont expire all together!!lol:)

mart

Good thread i will keep watching for ideas, im trying to be positive and most of all build my confidence as i havnt any!

We are giving every client who comes in to the salon in the 2 weeks prior to Christmas a christmas card containing a £5 voucher for any beauty treatment in Jan/Feb.

Good thread mate. Sometimes you have clients that are always regular and you KNOW they won't let you down so they are the income you can depend on.
Just before Christmas you may get lots of one offs but they may not return.....for no other reason than the fact that it's Christmas.
I see many salons competing with each other and dropping their prices.....and using inferior products....these places may get a client just once but never return.
Use good products offer fantastic customer service and be sure to advertise yourself as much as possible. If the lady on the till at Asda for instance likes your nails give her half a dozen cards to pass on. Make sure your business card show YOUR work and not just a naff pic thats free and tell them it's your work. Get a website. Offer "incentives" but not cheap prices.
To make it work you have to think about it as a business and IGNORE other salons.
They are starting to (IMO) just look cheap and tacky.

I shall be adding a new service - The Makeup Shakeup.
All those makeup "coffrets" that people were given as Christmas gifts? Well, I shall be showing people how to use them properly!

I'm considering sending everyone a £5 voucher to be used in January only and not to be used inconjunction with anyother offer.

I am going to promote Detox treatments to kick start the new year.

I am also going to concentrate more on the training side, aim to write 2 course manuals over the christmas period and get my name out there more and more for training.

I am going to see how the wind blows but am seriously considering letting my 2nd room go. In January a BT is going to start working from the second room so I'm hoping her enthusiasm brings people in through the doors. I'm going to suggest doing a promotion where 2 people come for treatments and get seen by me and her at the same time. If by June things haven't picked up, I may well let it go.

We are giving every client who comes in to the salon in the 2 weeks prior to Christmas a christmas card containing a £5 voucher for any beauty treatment in Jan/Feb.

Yes, I sent newsletters out to all my clients at the end of November with a £5.00 off voucher for products or treatments £25 and over to use in Jan 09.

I will also be doing a promotion on hopi ear candling as this is good for helping clear colds, sinus problems,etc for January and a Valentine's offer for feb.

Looking at previous threads, I am going to join the women's business forum so that I can start networking to bring more clients in.

It's difficult times and easy for us all to feel worried and down but we have to keep positive and think of other ways that clients may spend a bit of money to keep us ticking over.

Best of luck to you all xx

I've decided to concentrate on my existing clients as opposed to attracting new ones over the Christmas period. I agree with Judy, that the majority of the those who phone for an appointment christmas week are normally one off's.

I haven't reduced my prices as inho it sends out the message you are not busy with clients. However, i do repair the odd nail and not charge, or not charge if they want a little nail art...this doesn't cost me anymore than 10 minutes of my time and if it makes them feel a 'special client', they will still continue to remain loyal. I too have been giving my clients a money off voucher for the new Year.

Having recently had a chat with Victoria Smith concerning my business, I have now started to look at the products i use and the price i pay for them. I'm buying more of my stock in bulk as it is cheaper and i'm also looking at the service and discounts that I get from my supplier.

During this week and next I shall be handing out 'Christmas Surprise' vouchers to the hairdressing clients (I rent the beauty room) - the voucher is for £5 off any treatment/s totalling £15 or more in January/February. I did this last year but only received 4 of the vouchers back however a new stylist is starting this week and bringing all(or most) of his clients with him - his old salon was only a mile away so I am hopeful of picking up the beauty clients!!!

Also during 2009 I am going to be more conscious of the amount of product I use (and waste!!) - I always use far too much cuticle cream, foot lotion, etc. I'm also going to try to cut down on the wastage on sundries i.e I use one end of a cotton bud to apply cuticle cream - bin it and use a second one to apply cuticle remover - in future I shall use both ends!!!! Every penny counts.....

I plan to be more proactive. I have come on in leaps and bounds from this time last year (Even 6 months ago), but I still feel I can do much more to promote myself. Like some of you have mentioned already, I plan to keep the clients I have and treat them like royalty, rather than collect a plethora of new clients I never see again! Also plan to organise my time better so I can send out lots of vouchers to keep them interested!!!

I am also going to offer vouchers with £5 off but I have decided to be more pro active about leaflet dropping - I have had a good response from this when I have bothered to do it! I will certainly offer more for the same money - I have already done this by giving an under arm wax free with a brazilian. I seem to do lots of brazilians but no UA waxing. So I have done this as an add on and hopefully this will get clients talking about it. At the very least they will get good VFM and will not be tempted away!

All those makeup "coffrets" that people were given as Christmas gifts? Well, I shall be showing people how to use them properly!

That's a brilliant idea! :hug:

I think i am going to promote more massage.I don't do a lot anymore i got a bit bored with it all but at the end of the day its very profitable because i only need myself and a bit of oil no continually paying out on product.

There is something quite "Gok Wan" about this idea, I love it!!

ooo thanks!
I've even registered the domain name makeupshakeup.co.uk, and the idea is that it's a way to make the most of what you've got in the way of makeup rather than buying yet more and still not really knowing what to do with it. I'm thinking of doing makeup shakeup parties too, where people can get an idea of the general "rules" with makeup, and if they have specific makeup issues ("I need a quick and easy look for work - help!") I can show them how to fix them.

ooo thanks!
I've even registered the domain name makeupshakeup.co.uk, and the idea is that it's a way to make the most of what you've got in the way of makeup rather than buying yet more and still not really knowing what to do with it. I'm thinking of doing makeup shakeup parties too, where people can get an idea of the general "rules" with makeup, and if they have specific makeup issues ("I need a quick and easy look for work - help!") I can show them how to fix them.

Why has this not been thought of?? What a great idea, I am sure it is going to be very popular babes!! xxx

Hi:)all, thanks so much for all the fab replies...so many positive cmments...i love it. Keep them coming.:hug::)

Hey everyone. This is a good topic idea. I think around xmas and new year people always start mulling over what to changes to make to improve their businesses. I've already drafted a promotional SMS to send to all those who have booked over Christmas (I have taken their details and saved them in my software). I think its very negative to look at those who book over the xmas period as one-offs...it's up to us to convert them to regulars afterall! So i'm going to send them all a BOGOF deal framed along the lines of "forget the diet, get a pick me up that doesn't involve sweat!". Anyone else doing anything similar?

Latest posts

Back