Removal of skin after waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mejulie30

Reaction score
Hi, i was just wondering if anybody could help me. I've been waxing in a salon now since February and qualified to nvq level 3 since last July. Until February i had only done a bit of mobile. A lady that i've now waxed several times prior to her holiday with no problem however, last Saturday she came to have her legs waxed again after returning from her holiday abroad on the previous Tuesday. She wasn't burnt at all or even peeling, she just had a nice even tan. When i waxed the back of her legs, the one did peel slightly. Today she rang me to say that the back of her one leg on Saturday didn't feel any different but, later on in the day it was still stinging; come the next day she said it was still quite sore and pink and now after 3 days it's not so bad but still feels different to the other leg. I advised her to apply moisturiser as her skin is probably dehydrated due to the sun tan on her legs. I also told her that she was welcome to come in and show me, but if she was at all worried that she should go to her gp. I checked in my text book and it says that this is quite a common contraaction and i was just wondering if there was any way of preventing it. I have been told by a lot of my clients that my waxing is very gentle, so i assume my technique must be generally quite good.
Hope someone can shed some light for me, sorry to waffle on, just trying to give as much info as possible.
xx:confused:

I have a lady that has her eyes waxed regularly, her skin came off with the last treatment , she went to her dr. and has pasriosis , she is now on medicine to help . some times people dont even know that they have this and waxing will bring it on , her hands and nails have shown this as well , but since beening on the meds she has done well, dont worry I am sure that it was nothing you did !! Check and see if she has anything that looks like peeling around her nails , feet and face , its very dry and looks like over exsposer to the sun,it could be dermotitist(?) many of us have it with know idea what it is and it is very simple to take care of
I am happy that you care enough about you clients to ask :lol:
no worries !!
Hugs fingerfun:hug:

There is a very simple way to ensure that you never tear skin off of any client. OIL.... just make sure you always prep the skin with oil before waxing. I have waxed clients with pimples, scratches, psoriasis, eczema, on accutane and retinal, and still, never, not once, ripped any skin off. If you put oil on the area being waxed, then it acts as a barrier between the wax and the skin, so the wax only adheres to the hair.

what sort of oil? does it have to be something special or would baby oil do the job?

I use a light massage oil... usually with a few drops of Tea tree Oil added. However, baby oil is suffciant. And a little goes a long way, so you don't need much, and if you find you've applied too much then just dab it with a tissue.

does it not also coat the hairs in that area so the wax doesn't adhere to the hairs???

Thanks to everyone for your help. I do like to be very concientious with my treatments. Also i did try the oil briefly the other day on my sisters knees (because to be honest they are normally like sandpaper and a real devil to remove hair as opposed to just leavin great clumps of wax on her knees) and although i think i used a little too much oil, the hairs did come out better. I'm just a little wary using it main stream, because i use a salon system roller wax and i wonder if the roller will jus slip over the top of the oil.
Thanks again to all who replied.

hi ya i got the tip on using oil with warm wax and it does work !! but you really have to use a tiny amount or the roler will slip :green: befroe that i had only heard of using oil with hot wax and was really surprised at how good it did actually work :green: , good luck and hope everything goes ok for ya , xxx

Cuttie_Pie said:
does it not also coat the hairs in that area so the wax doesn't adhere to the hairs???

It shouldn't cause a problem. I use oil for every part of the body.

Does talc do the same thing?

vicky said:
Does talc do the same thing?
i was taught to use talc for this
xx

joolz said:
xx

Talc/powder is great as a fool-proof way of getting wax to adhere to hair, but the problem is it achieves this by absorbing any excess moisture in the area. This means that the wax is much more likely to stick to the skin as well as the hair, which is when lifting can occur.

Oil will provide a very effective barrier between the wax and the skin - wax is lipid soluble, so it physically can't stick to greased-up body parts, but if you use just little enough the hair will still come out like a dream whilst at the same time helping to avoid the risk of skin lifting. Too much and the wax will slide about all over the shop - tissue off any excess and it's all good.

Andy :D

Axiom said:
Talc/powder is great as a fool-proof way of getting wax to adhere to hair, but the problem is it achieves this by absorbing any excess moisture in the area. This means that the wax is much more likely to stick to the skin as well as the hair, which is when lifting can occur.

Oil will provide a very effective barrier between the wax and the skin - wax is lipid soluble, so it physically can't stick to greased-up body parts, but if you use just little enough the hair will still come out like a dream whilst at the same time helping to avoid the risk of skin lifting. Too much and the wax will slide about all over the shop - tissue off any excess and it's all good.

Andy :D
never had a problem with it but the oil theory is excellent im definitely going to give that a go in the future

joolz said:
never had a problem with it but the oil theory is excellent im definitely going to give that a go in the future

Joolz, it's particularly great with facial waxing (eyebrows are a real treat with the oil) - you really do need just the tiniest amount, but it can make all the difference, particularly if a client normally goes very red after waxing. :)

Axiom said:
Joolz, it's particularly great with facial waxing (eyebrows are a real treat with the oil) - you really do need just the tiniest amount, but it can make all the difference, particularly if a client normally goes very red after waxing. :)
haha doh! what am i like? sometimes i use vaseline on eyebrows so in a way im doing it ish
thankyou

huberella said:
There is a very simple way to ensure that you never tear skin off of any client. OIL.... just make sure you always prep the skin with oil before waxing. I have waxed clients with pimples, scratches, psoriasis, eczema, on accutane and retinal, and still, never, not once, ripped any skin off. If you put oil on the area being waxed, then it acts as a barrier between the wax and the skin, so the wax only adheres to the hair.

I have tried this after reading your reply in a previous thread & it worked for me. The skin only went slightly pink after, no redness & it had nearly gone 15 mins later :)

joolz said:
haha doh! what am i like? sometimes i use vaseline on eyebrows so in a way im doing it ish
thankyou

No worries - the main difference is that Vaseline can be used as a protective barrier to stop the wax removing too much hair, whereas you'd use oil in place of the talc on the skin itself. Lol, I apologise if I'm teaching the art of egg-sucking, just that so few people have heard of using oil instead of powder that I sometimes "over explain" myself!! :lol: :D

joolz said:
xx

Joolz.....I never thought that waxing over an oiled area was the right thing to do. After all when we train we are taught to remove all surface oils and contaminants and use talc to dry the area and absorb moisture.
Since reading Huberella's posts and Axiom's posts...this oil thang intrigued me.
Ever the sceptic...I gave it a go on one of my clients who is particularly sensitive to waxing. She follows with real redness!
Not only did the hair seem to remove easier when I lightly oiled the skin, but the skin reaction after waxing amazed me. Only a mild pink colour!!!!...
I use oil now almost everywhere...bikini lines, underarms and most particularly facial waxing!
It works divinely and my talc??.....It appears to be out of use!
:)

thats what i use it for especially if they need a complete reshape but i had not heard of the oil thing either , i did my beauty therapy in 1992 ancient times i reckon as things are always changing
thanks again youre advice is great

Latest posts

Back