Rockstar Shellac - top coat question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helbels

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I am going to try my first rockstar nails next week for the christmas party. When applying the Shellac topcoat, how do you prevent the glitter transferring back from the brush into the top coat bottle as you do each nail? I am worried that I will ruin my topcoat for future sets if I get little bits of glitter in it. Do I ned to clean the brush after doing each nail?

In the thread of Rockstar pics another geek has advised how to do Rockstar nail / toes from start to finish. A bit of a long read but it's there. HTH xx

Hi geeks,

I am going to try my first rockstar nails next week for the christmas party. When applying the Shellac topcoat, how do you prevent the glitter transferring back from the brush into the top coat bottle as you do each nail? I am worried that I will ruin my topcoat for future sets if I get little bits of glitter in it. Do I ned to clean the brush after doing each nail?

Well you certainly will get glitter on your top coat; you can't avoid it.
You need a bottle of top coat that you use just for glitter work ... All of us have a second bottle for that.

Thanks Geeg, I thought that might be the case. Off to order a 2nd bottle!

Well you certainly will get glitter on your top coat; you can't avoid it.
You need a bottle of top coat that you use just for glitter work ... All of us have a second bottle for that.

I agree, i tried my first rockstar without a second top coat bottle. i wiped the brush on an extra piece on paper towel and i still ended up with a few pieces of glitter that ruined some of my other regular shellac :( had to turn that bottle into my official rockstar top coat and buy another one, don't risk it! spend the money on an extra bottle

I agree, i tried my first rockstar without a second top coat bottle. i wiped the brush on an extra piece on paper towel and i still ended up with a few pieces of glitter that ruined some of my other regular shellac :( had to turn that bottle into my official rockstar top coat and buy another one, don't risk it! spend the money on an extra bottle

Another point is that it wastes loads of product to have to wipe off your brush every time you have to go into the bottle !! Too precious to waste it, not to mention hard on the pocket. You'll get much more for your money using a 2nd bottle just for glitter work.

Another good tip is to keep a seperate bottle of clearly pink to use on top of the glitters before you apply the top coat.
Especially if the glitter is not fine enough, giving that extra layer of colour instead of 2 top coats makes removal the same time of 10 mins rather than trying to soak off 2 layers of top coat.
I use 1 layer of my base colour, glitter then a layer of clearly pink cure, top coat cure and remove inhibition layer. Result smooth nails every time with no sticky up or rough bits that will dull, or clients will pick.
Plus no chance of glitter getting in the top coat bottle.
Clearly pink also brings out the colour more on the glitters, much like Pink L&P does.
Jen xxx

I do rockstar V3, brush off the excess glitter with a fairly stiff brush and have had no problems with glitter in my topcoat. :)

I do like the idea of having a separate bottle of topcoat for glitter, though. Maybe as some top coats seem to go 'thick', it would be a good idea to save those for the glitter top. Just a thought. :)

I do rockstar V3, brush off the excess glitter with a fairly stiff brush and have had no problems with glitter in my topcoat. :)

I do like the idea of having a separate bottle of topcoat for glitter, though. Maybe as some top coats seem to go 'thick', it would be a good idea to save those for the glitter top. Just a thought. :)

That's what I do - I have a seperate glitter top coat, then when my usual one thickens I pour what's left into the glitter one.

We use a separate bottle of topcoat for glitters too. I even painted the top of the bottle with glitter so we don't get them mixed up :biggrin:

I pour out a little bit of my top coat on to the back of a plastic backed pad and apply it with a brisa brush!

You dont get any waste if you only pour out a small amount!

Also if you do red glitter on one client then silver on the next! your going to get red glitter on the silver client!

For the second layer of top coat i just use it straight out the bottle as the glitter doesn't move after the first coat! (but i still check my brush just in case a bit is trying to sneak its way in)

I also use a separate brush for applying the top coat.:wink2:

Nails

Gosh you are all sooooo clever. I have just done my 1st rockstar. Love it it's a BIG WOW.

Another good tip is to keep a seperate bottle of clearly pink to use on top of the glitters before you apply the top coat.
Especially if the glitter is not fine enough, giving that extra layer of colour instead of 2 top coats makes removal the same time of 10 mins rather than trying to soak off 2 layers of top coat.
I use 1 layer of my base colour, glitter then a layer of clearly pink cure, top coat cure and remove inhibition layer. Result smooth nails every time with no sticky up or rough bits that will dull, or clients will pick.
Plus no chance of glitter getting in the top coat bottle.
Clearly pink also brings out the colour more on the glitters, much like Pink L&P does.
Jen xxx

Hi there

I haven't attemtped Rockstar nails yet but I am very interested in adding this skill to my list. You say above (highlighted) so am I understanding right that you do not cure the base coat, then apply glitter to tacky residue then a layer of clearly pink, cure then top coat and cure?

The first set of curing is after you have applied the base, glitter and then cleary pink?

Please correct me if I have misread x

I think you always need to cure every layer to prevent overexposure.
I do base coat cure - color coat cure - sprinkle glitter on sticky layer and brush in - apply top coat cure - and usually second top coat and cure to give a smooth finish.

Hi there

I haven't attemtped Rockstar nails yet but I am very interested in adding this skill to my list. You say above (highlighted) so am I understanding right that you do not cure the base coat, then apply glitter to tacky residue then a layer of clearly pink, cure then top coat and cure?

The first set of curing is after you have applied the base, glitter and then cleary pink?

Please correct me if I have misread x

Fingernail fixer has fab videos on you tube for rockstars, they are a godsend!

Personally, and everyone does do this their own way

I apply base coat - cure
apply colour coat (up to you which colour you use - but if covered enough you will not see this under the glitter anyway) - cure - then apply the glitter in the sticky layer of the cured gel - press down firmly to smooth out the glitter - I kind of roll my finger from side to side to make sure it is smooth all over.

then apply 2 x top coats - although I did try today with one coat of clearly pink (as suggested above) and one top coat and it has come out just as lovely bright and smooth.

HTH x

Personally, and everyone does do this their own way

I apply base coat - cure
apply colour coat (up to you which colour you use - but if covered enough you will not see this under the glitter anyway) - cure - then apply the glitter in the sticky layer of the cured gel - press down firmly to smooth out the glitter - I kind of roll my finger from side to side to make sure it is smooth all over.

then apply 2 x top coats - although I did try today with one coat of clearly pink (as suggested above) and one top coat and it has come out just as lovely bright and smooth.

HTH x

Ok I think I am getting the hang of it. Although I take it if your applying it so you are putting clearly pink over the glitter, curing, top coat, curing, wipe. Does this make it easier to remove as you wouldn't be applying x2 top coats? I take it you would cure the base before applying the colour, glitter and then clearly pink? Hope that makes sense, just getting confused from what a previous poster said x

Ok I think I am getting the hang of it. Although I take it if your applying it so you are putting clearly pink over the glitter, curing, top coat, curing, wipe. Does this make it easier to remove as you wouldn't be applying x2 top coats? I take it you would cure the base before applying the colour, glitter and then clearly pink? Hope that makes sense, just getting confused from what a previous poster said x

HTH x
Thats its exactly which is why I suggested the clearly pink layer instead of 2 top. Depending on what type of glitter you are using if it is fine enough there is no need to apply the clearly pink layer just 1 layer of top coat.
It helps the removal process if you have colour coat rather than 2 top coat layers because the colour coats have more solvents, therefor create more tiny tunnels. Top coat has fewer solvents which in turn leads to fewer tiny tunnels for the acetone to penetrate through, leads to longer removal time.
After all time is money for us so anything that saves us a few mins is a bonus and means we can get more clients through the door.
Jen xxx

Latest posts

Back