Roller wax, tube wax, I'm so confused!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProperPrincess

Reaction score
I absolutely hate waxing anything from the neck down. I am messy and I panic.

I have started getting more appointments for leg waxing and I really think roller or tube waxing will speed things up for me and be a lot less messy.

But which one.

I don't want to spend to much on something I don't use too much so I've looked at the hand held single roller wax machines but I'm wondering is this ok as would it be hot enough to do the whole leg as I obviously don't want to stop to heat it up again. How much wax would. Use for say a whole leg wax?

Or should I go with the phd safewax. I love the idea of everything being so hygienic?

Any advice would be great. Thank you x

Personally having used phd I would advise against it ... I didnt find it great and I've heard a lot of reports of split tubes.

If you want a roller system I use the Hive Multi Mini which has three slots on the front for the cartridges. Waxes like Perron Rigot are great, but if you want a wax that is more accessible - available from more places then you could try the Salon System honey wax. I have often used this when I run out of my usual roller. I personally prefer the fixed head cartridges packs they supply.

Mat

Im a Perron Rigot boy myself...and I have used their roller system .The thing I like about the PR system is that you can buy as many of the hand held units as you like and they all click together. They do a really good selection of wax cartridges including natural, cream waxes and a hypoallergenic wax, which speads thinner than most roller waxes so is a lot more economical. They are fixed heads but easy to clean and they are a standard 100g cartridge so they will fit into a lot of other roller systems.

Jack

I trained in the PHD system a few years ago and personally, I hated it. You can't keep the tubes at a constant temperature and it's too much faffing about for me.
I use pot and spatula but I do use roller wax for legs.
I bought 2 perron rigot hand held units and I didn't like them either. The idea is fab but it's a fixed temperature which I find not hot enough. If it had a temperature control then it would be fine.
I use the Hive heater with 3 slots and the other therapist has the 5 slot one.
We both use Salon system for the rollers and I use the fixed heads and the other therapist uses the others.
Have never had a problem with them. They have a temperature control and the system is compact. You can put one cartridge back in the heater to heat up again and then grab another one that will be at the right temperature :)

@Proper Princess I know you don't want to hear this, but try to perfect your pot and spat skills and you'll be laughing. A spat gets into places that no roller could. Be brave! x

@Proper Princess I know you don't want to hear this, but try to perfect your pot and spat skills and you'll be laughing. A spat gets into places that no roller could. Be brave! x

I have sat for 12 hrs waiting for you to tell me this Kim. Lol I know your right but it seems like it takes me forever and I get in such a blooming mess. :-(

I have a leg wax Thursday. I'm going to use my pot, time myself and see how I get on.

Out of interest how many paper strips do you use for a leg wax, half leg xxx

I use Clean and Easy roller wax and a pot. That way you can cover large areas, super quick, mess free and then in all the nooks, crannies and areas that require more precise application I use my pot wax.

You don't have to use the Clean and Easy wax, you heat up and decant into the rollers. However Clean and Easy do a lot of different waxes so you may find one that suits you. It can be expensive if you stick to using the pre filled clean and easy cartridges though. The heads come off and you can clean as and when needed. Also you can buy replaceable heads as and when needed.( they do crack as they wear, but tend to last a good length of time)

The unit is easy to control and its the best one I've used. I've used cheaper makes in some salons and hated them, they have a tendency to crack too. I've also used tube waxes and hated them. They're not cost effective and once you get half way down the tube they are nothing more than a hindrance and time waster when trying to squeeze remaining wax out.

I do agree that everyone should seriously learn to use pot with spat first. I couldn't ever do someone's eyebrow reshape with a roller though I do know some that do:eek: each to their own on that one lol.

I have sat for 12 hrs waiting for you to tell me this Kim. Lol I know your right but it seems like it takes me forever and I get in such a blooming mess. :-(

I have a leg wax Thursday. I'm going to use my pot, time myself and see how I get on.

Out of interest how many paper strips do you use for a leg wax, half leg xxx
lol Hope it was worth the wait!

I use a total of 6 strips for both legs including knees and feet. Put your wax on nice and thin and be methodical. Start removing from the ankle upwards. Let me know how long it took you.

TIP: It will take you as long as you allow yourself. If you've got to do it in 15mins then you'll have to get it done won't you.:wink2:

Kim I told you everyone just waits for your reply on here :) loved training with you the other week learnt so much! Xx

The therapist I work with actually uses the clean and easy system not the the Hive.
She has used it for about 15 years and she does her eyebrows with the thin roller wax cartridge.
She never used a pot and spatula before I showed her how to use non-strip wax.
She uses the non-strip wax for intimate, underarm and lip and chins but for everything else she uses a roller.
She is very busy and very good. I would say that she does around 30 eyebrow waxes a week with her little roller but she is very good.
So, you use what works for you. If you are messy with a pot and spatula when doing legs then try the roller and if it works for you then use that.
I do legs with the roller. The roller covers everywhere you need to wax. For everything else I use pot and spatula and this works for me so that's what I do.
You do what makes the job easier for you. Try it. You may love it and you may hate it.
I always did legs with pot and spatula and I'm much quicker and a lot less messy now I do them with a roller.

Well I decided I'd master the pot first. Bought some cristal ocean as suggested by a fellow geek and Kim. I just waxed my sisters legs, underarm and brows in 28 mins which for me is good! I used 9 strips on the half leg wax. The leg wax along took my 16 mins xx

Well I decided I'd master the pot first. Bought some cristal ocean as suggested by a fellow geek and Kim. I just waxed my sisters legs, underarm and brows in 28 mins which for me is good! I used 9 strips on the half leg wax. The leg wax along took my 16 mins xx
Woo Hoo! Go girl! x

Hi, I use PHD wax system and I love it!! i have had no complaints with it and find it really hygienic, i do also have the hive multi pro heater 6 cylinder one which I can't get along with so going to sell but everyone has their own preference x

I've been wanting to change to the phd wax, and heard its bad and good, so I went and got my legs wax where they used it, I was actually really impressed, she also had a pot on, I'm guessing that's 'just in case' but I have the same problem, I find the pot to messy to use. X

I've been wanting to change to the phd wax, and heard its bad and good, so I went and got my legs wax where they used it, I was actually really impressed, she also had a pot on, I'm guessing that's 'just in case' but I have the same problem, I find the pot to messy to use. X

It's only messy when you're not used to it. Practice makes perfect and you will always find a pot comes tops for those little areas, or for really precise application.

When I first went to do a trade test in a salon that had the clean and easy, I had never used anything other than pot wax, I found holding the cartridge fiddly, I kept getting all uncoordinated etc but as time went on I absolutely loved it. It's the same with pot wax, messy and fiddly until you master it. I love both of them and wouldn't have one without the other.

I would say keep at it and then you will rarely spill a drop or get messy at all :biggrin:

Hi
I have just started using the hive roller wax system for areas such as legs and underarms. Everything else I use my wax pot and spatula for accuracy.
I'm loving the hive system despite some bad reviews. It heats up pretty quick has a lovely thin consistency, great temp and has sped up my waxing time by loads. It really gets all those naughty little hairs out too that usually get left behind so I'm over the moon with it. It's also nice and compact so I don't have to carry loads, and it's also mess free. To clean the heads I pop them in a bowl of wax cleaner for a few hours or over night, wipe off disinfect and off we go again. Can't recommend enough as before I hated waxing and now it's quite pleasant.

Hi
I have just started using the hive roller wax system for areas such as legs and underarms. Everything else I use my wax pot and spatula for accuracy.
I'm loving the hive system despite some bad reviews. It heats up pretty quick has a lovely thin consistency, great temp and has sped up my waxing time by loads. It really gets all those naughty little hairs out too that usually get left behind so I'm over the moon with it. It's also nice and compact so I don't have to carry loads, and it's also mess free. To clean the heads I pop them in a bowl of wax cleaner for a few hours or over night, wipe off disinfect and off we go again. Can't recommend enough as before I hated waxing and now it's quite pleasant.

Hope your unit doesn't split with the heat as ours did in the last. Two units both split. Both Hive, busy salon though so hopefully you wont have same issues.

Latest posts

Back