Running a salon from home (rented property)???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bud

Reaction score
Hi guys!!

Been a while since I've had time to drop in...and am wanting to pick the brains of any geeks working from home.

Im thinking of moving house, into a rented property, and possibly working from home.

DOes anyone know of any legalites that may restrict me from doing so?

Does anyone currently work from a rented domestic property, and if so, were there any problems / considerations you had to deal with?

thanks for your help!

laura x

Hi Laura,

As far as I'm aware, as long as you are using a room within your home it is fine.

I'm not sure about the rented aspect. My brothers partner wanted to start working from home, but was unable to due to the conditions on the paperwork. It may vary according to who you rent from. I would phone a couple of rental agencies and ask.

hth

I have a friend who rents and works from home, she had to have written consent of the landlord, so I guess it really depends on whom you are renting from.:hug:

Hi guys!!

Been a while since I've had time to drop in...and am wanting to pick the brains of any geeks working from home.

Im thinking of moving house, into a rented property, and possibly working from home.

DOes anyone know of any legalites that may restrict me from doing so?

Does anyone currently work from a rented domestic property, and if so, were there any problems / considerations you had to deal with?

thanks for your help!

laura x

I had to get permission from my housing association, and council, both gave the go ahead, they were mostly asking about clients late at night, and congestion that all my clients would cause lol, but were really helpfull.
working from home and for myself was the best thing I hae ever done ,, good luck xx

Well the others have covered it:lol: permision from landlord, and your insurance comp need to know, thats your house hold contents and nail/beauty insurance.
I did mobile for a bit, salon for a year but started with a home studio and thats what I've come back to, for me its the best way to work, or it will be just as soon as the new carpet for the living room gets moved from my studio space:irked::lol:

Yes you definetly need permission from your landlord. I was looking to rent a house with my boyfriend and every letting agency we spoke to said it was a no as it wasn't classed as business premises & if I had set up without telling them my insurance would technically be void.

Any properties you are interested in contact the letting agency or the landlord direct if possible.

Yes you definetly need permission from your landlord. I was looking to rent a house with my boyfriend and every letting agency we spoke to said it was a no as it wasn't classed as business premises & if I had set up without telling them my insurance would technically be void.

Any properties you are interested in contact the letting agency or the landlord direct if possible.
Blimy luv:eek::eek: if i were you I'd move area, I and or hubby have run our own buissnesses from our rented homes for the last 10 years, when ever I've gone to look at a propety I've always said. Do you mind if I put another phone line in, I have a home run buissness and I've never had anyone say no:eek: gob smacked.

Blimy luv:eek::eek: if i were you I'd move area, I and or hubby have run our own buissnesses from our rented homes for the last 10 years, when ever I've gone to look at a propety I've always said. Do you mind if I put another phone line in, I have a home run buissness and I've never had anyone say no:eek: gob smacked.

They said it was fine if i was running an office or something from home but not if im having clients come on to the premises. Is that what you do ??

I rent privately and have permission from my landlord to work at home, i also work mobile, only have a handful of clients come to me at home because of their pets! Plus am more central to their office's so its easier for them to come to me.

Ju x

I rent privately and have permission from my landlord to work at home, i also work mobile, only have a handful of clients come to me at home because of their pets! Plus am more central to their office's so its easier for them to come to me.

Ju x

Im gutted now ! I wanted to move out from my parents a year ago & because letting agents told me I couldn't work from home as it wasn't business premises Ive stayed her :grr: :grr:

So if I find a property I like do I need to get letting agents to contact landlord direct ?

Juliette

I didn't go through letting agent, found my apartment in local paper, when I told landlord what I did he told me I could use apartment to do my job, have also got it in writing in my contract with him.

Ju x

when we moved into our current place they made it absolutely clear no business could be run from here, office or client base, when they heard about me starting treatment rooms they even called to double check they weren't from home, i think in this area anyway, most of the letting agents are much the same although the private lets i've had before have had no problem xx

WOW!

i've been busy working, and not been on the site for a few days....didn't expect such a FAB response!!! thanks guys, some really helpful info there!

will make sure i check with landlord / leting agency, and most importantly...get in in writing in the contract!!!

thanks again!

:hug:

I work from home at a rented property. The only thing my landlord was worried about was liabilty insurance to make sure nothing would fall back on him, but you'd have to crazy to operate without insurance these days.

I work form a room in my rented house, not often admittedly as I tend to do mainly mobile. I have never discussed with my landlord, I am insured, and should he ever ask I will say its my training studio!! There are ways to get around things if you dont want to be upfront.
Mind you my landlord is very laid back, but he would be I paid him a years rent in advance!!

Latest posts

Back