Sainsbury's gel manicure with lamp

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanfastic

Reaction score
Look what I saw in Sainsburys yesterday, there was only one left on the shelf. What on earth are they going to do when everyone ends up with allergies? Will mums be doing toddlers nails? How much damage is going to be done to the nail plate?

The mind boggles. Unfortunatley I could not open the pack to read the instructions and it looks like one of the small lights so hopefully most people will get fed up with how time consuming it will be and how manky the end result will be from gel pooling and running all over the place, not to mention lifting, flaking and chipping.

The kit works out to £7 per set, any thoughts?

( PS how many of you got one of these for Mothers day ?)

My clients can't paint their nails for toffee, which is why I do them! Lol
I would rather sainsbury's come out with their own kit designed for at home use than people try to buy professional products from our suppliers.

Fortunately, that's when we will come in to repair the damage caused.

They sell them all over in the States along with everything else to do nails at home. Doesn't change the fact that people can't do them. Doesn't change the fact that people still flock to the salon for a proper treatment.

It is mostly the technicians who work with these coloured gels that get the allergies as we keep seeing here on SG. Over-exposure takes time and is seldom instant and most people give up on these kits before they get over exposed.

People are allowed to paint their own nails you know, its not like you have to have a degree to paint them! So what if they mess their nails up so what if the pound shop sells nail kits people cant always afford to pay to get them done professionally when they could probibly get the same results if they spent abit of time practising

People are allowed to paint their own nails you know, its not like you have to have a degree to paint them! So what if they mess their nails up so what if the pound shop sells nail kits people cant always afford to pay to get them done professionally when they could probibly get the same results if they spent abit of time practising

:rolleyes:I am fully aware of the fact you so kindly pointed out. Thank you. There is a difference though between you painting your own nails with a fabulous nail varnish or using a gel product with an electrical appliance. Both items can cause damage if irresponsibly used. Incorrectly prepared nails, incorrect curing and electrical faults. Professionals do things correctly and get their equipment tested.

Many people try these kits, I even did years ago ( Acrylic kit from Superdrug or Boots I think) and tbh I could not be doing with all the pallaver, and the end result was defenitely not worth it. I was merely asking for opinions and hoped for some constructive input:o Silly me

I assume you rushed out to buy one then??? Post some pics I would love to see how easy it was. :D

Last edited:
Its not worth losing sleep over. Since time began women have been doing dreadful things to themselves at home by thinking they can save a few quid, most of whom end up back at the salon to have the damage repaired, we all know someone who's dyed their hair green, or turned it into cotton wool, or made their eyebrows look like slugs etc, and to be honest the women who go in for DIY jobs aren't your client audience anyway so they're unlikely to steal any custom away from you.

Leave 'em to it, and just sit back with a smug smile when you see ladies who've spent 3 hours swearing at themselves and ending up with terrible nails anyway :Love:

Its not worth losing sleep over. Since time began women have been doing dreadful things to themselves at home by thinking they can save a few quid, most of whom end up back at the salon to have the damage repaired, we all know someone who's dyed their hair green, or turned it into cotton wool, or made their eyebrows look like slugs etc, and to be honest the women who go in for DIY jobs aren't your client audience anyway so they're unlikely to steal any custom away from you.

Leave 'em to it, and just sit back with a smug smile when you see ladies who've spent 3 hours swearing at themselves and ending up with terrible nails anyway :Love:

Reminds me of that hysterically funny blog about the homewaxing!!!!

People are allowed to paint their own nails you know, its not like you have to have a degree to paint them! So what if they mess their nails up so what if the pound shop sells nail kits people cant always afford to pay to get them done professionally when they could probably get the same results if they spent abit of time practising

I think everyone is well aware of what you say, but I also think you are kidding yourself if you think 99% of diyers could get the same result or produce a professional polish job. There is allot of skill in doing a beautiful flawless polish application and most actually cannot do it anywhere near as well as a trained pro; but then those people really don't care either.

No need to post here amongst professionals and to demean what they do or to make comments that make it seem like we are playing at what we do. There is a world of difference in going to a professional (a real professional not just someone who calls themselves a professional) and doing your own home manicure.

Many see this 'selling out' to the consumer as undermining their business and we are all trying to make a living in a crisis where many are strugling. It is not surprising that things like the above are commented on.

The service I used to provide was mostly about a great end result but a lot to do with the 'fluff' that went with it. People would come to me in the home salon, have a lovely cup of tea, we would have some nice music on. They would talk to me about everything (sometimes I mean EVERYthing!), there were no telly's, no children / husbands / wifes shouting at them. Sometimes people may think they can have a go at nail enhancements themselves but I think those people wouldn't have become long term clients anyway.

tanfastic wasen't implying that members of the public aren't allowed to do their own nails. She was simply pointing out that similar products nail technicians use are being sold to the public who are untrained and don't know anything about nails, contraindications, aftercare, etc. I also think there is a massive difference in getting your nails done by someone who is a professional compared to someone who just does it themselves to save money.. I'd like to save money on my haircuts, dosen't mean I do it myself.. because I don't have a clue what I'm doing and it will just look a mess.

Last edited:
You can buy hair dye and waxing kits too. Some people choose DIY route and some choose to go to a pro. I know I wouldn't dream of dying my own hair or attempting to wax myself but others would. All my clients come to me for great nails, there are plenty of people out there who know the value of a pro!

Oh I remember buying a kit in boots a lifetime ago. I painted this goo on then sprayed with the activator. Omg where I had got the stuff on my skin when I sprayed it burnt like hell :) as well as the porridge looking nails.

So the moral of the story is they are always going to be there and like my attempt most will only be used once. I'm now CND trained and don't give these kits a second thought as they only go to show its not easy to create a gorgeous set of nails :)

Vicki x

And I suppose people would get the same results with a £5 tan machine they pick up from Lidls as they do when they come to you??

Or be able to do there brows just as well with the strip wax sold by veet rather than coming to you?

Listen to what you're saying! You may not do nails but you are still part of the beauty industry.

Ther will always be DIY'ers out there but what you are saying is ridiculous and actually quite offensive.

Goodness, it doesn't take long for the bitchiness to set in does it!!

I have no problem at all with these kits being sold retail. Once upon a time, nail polish was readily available only in salons! As were perms, hair colours, false nails.

There will always be the DIY'ers who will never go to a salon. But then there will be those that start off as a DIY'er and end up going to a salon because, hopefully, a professional will do SUCH a better job! These are the ones that help grow the business! Having all these kits around actually raises the awareness of the industry because, believe me, the vast majority have never heard of gel polishes!

What would be really good is if the whole professional nail industry could be trusted to do a much better job than DIY'ers. That's the tricky part!!!!

I've seen similar in Tesco way before Christmas and they're still selling them. They're obviously popular. I don't have a problem with DIY kits to be honest as I offer a service not just nails done. Like a PP - my clients come to me for a good old gossip, for some time out from the family and they appreciate more than just a lovely set of nails. Lets face it, if they didn't want nice peaceful surroundings, a nice conversation, a hot drink, and a nail professional they see every time, who they know and trust and quality products - they could go to a NSS and get it done for half the price or do it themselves with these kits.

On the flip side, if I wasn't a professional, couldn't afford to get my nails done in a salon, but I could paint my own nails reasonably well - I think I'd give it a try! No I wouldn't get salon quality nails, but I might just get a longer lasting job than with a regular polish. I think though I'd soon get bored and the kit would end up in my drawer along with the foot spa and waxing kit :o

Oh I remember buying a kit in boots a lifetime ago. I painted this goo on then sprayed with the activator. Omg where I had got the stuff on my skin when I sprayed it burnt like hell :) as well as the porridge looking nails.

So the moral of the story is they are always going to be there and like my attempt most will only be used once. I'm now CND trained and don't give these kits a second thought as they only go to show its not easy to create a gorgeous set of nails :)

Vicki x

Oh dear that brings back memories, it put me off acrylics for years

And I suppose people would get the same results with a £5 tan machine they pick up from Lidls as they do when they come to you??

Or be able to do there brows just as well with the strip wax sold by veet rather than coming to you?

Listen to what you're saying! You may not do nails but you are still part of the beauty industry.

Ther will always be DIY'ers out there but what you are saying is ridiculous and actually quite offensive.
Actually ive seen some really good fake tans done with products from home bargains when they come into my salon and they looked totally professional, im not being offensive im stating facts.

Boots also do them , along with Argos doing home gel & acrylic kits .... How ever , I have had a good handful of clients admit to buying them , when they try and it's harder than they think and takes 2hrs to do one hand they soon get fed up and come back to salon tail between legs it is a worry that our trade is not our own , but let it do the rounds and see what happens .. Xx

Actually ive seen some really good fake tans done with products from home bargains when they come into my salon and they looked totally professional, im not being offensive im stating facts.

That wasn't the question I asked.

I asked if they were as good if not better than a professional one?

When it comes down to it isnt about people wanting to do their own treatments at home, it is about the damage that can be caused by someone doing it that has not had the correct training. That's always the concern. Then the professionals and our industry cop the negative feedback about how these "products" damage nails/hair etc when infact it's the user, not the products.

I have absolutely no doubt that there are people out there that are not professional (and that have no intention of being so) that are brilliant at painting there own nails, I do things at home that I am not qualified in such as dye my hair and I do a good job BUT I would always like to think that by going to a true professional I would be getting a truly professional finish.

I'm not sure why you have jumped in like you have.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back