Salon + baby? Any mums out there?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serendipity34

Reaction score
:confused:I have just been offered the salon in which i work. Im just arranging the finance now but its a big step for me. We have to remortgage to fund the project.

I am a 38 yr old mum of a lovely girl 5, but desperately want another baby and my bodyclock is ticking because of my age. I was going to start trying for a baby just before i got this proposal from my boss!!

Any salon owners who are mums out there? I want to run the business for about a year then start trying for a baby. It sounds like financial madness but the salon is doing well and i would like to appoint someone temporarily to help out when i want a little leave with him/her.

Any advice would be so welcome. I want this business but i dont want to turn my back on my family.

Mich:hug:

hi hun, i opened my salon and got preg a month later. it wasnt making any money let alone enough to pay someone. i tried to bring 1s in but it was useless. in the end i managed to talk my dr into inducing me so i could work my dates into work and went back the following wk with baby and put her into nursey at 10 wks. id also went back to college to finish my itec so i dint shut any days bar a sun. looking back i dont know how i did it. esp as i was making no money. for a yr i felt awful - like ig given up a yr with her but finally i am making some money and managed to take us all away for a 2 wk hol there last month. i finish my course tomo (yay!!) and i have finally found a p.t girl who can do nails. i am going to bring her in on a fri and shut the shop on a tues so i will get time with the kids. it depends how bad you want it. the way i looked it was stick out the hardship now and reap the rewards later and its starting to happen. theres no other job i would wanna do and my salon makes me happy which reflects into my home life. if you want it enough you will do it. at least you know if your salon will make a profit. i remember thinking what the hell have i done?! if its a profitable salon then go for it your not preg yet and when it happens you should be able to afford someone to help you even if you just went in 1 or 2 days a week for your regulas if you had to bring in a baby they wont mind hth

i have just rented a room in a hairdressers opened it on tuesday and have a 10mth old baby girl and am a single mother, its bloody hard work. i feel bad spending time at work but know i have to be there all the time at the moment and have had a few second thoughts cos i cant rely on anyone when i thought i could, i know in the long run it will be worth it but its gonna be hard for a while. im lucky my daughter is so good and has a set routine i am going to do set days once it picks up but until then i dont want to turn customers away. so shut on a sun mon anyway and think im going to stick to 3 days and poss have evenings if needed. hope that helps a little.

you can do anything if you set your mind to it!
if you want the salon then you will make it work!
if you want to be a stay at home mum then put it on hold.....

i have a salon and two children, 8 & 11 yrs, and to be honest its very hard to get all the time available that they need!

you have to put soooooo much time in with a new bussiness,

but then maybe if its already established, could you spend the time you have whilst your preggars finding some reliable employees, and planning for the time off you need?

I had a salon only a year and got pregnant - I really struggled to get people the clients liked etc.

I was very poorly after I had my son but went to work 2 weeks later.

My work wasn't up to scratch - and neither was I?

I struggled on for 3 more years - making some crazy biz decisions. I tried to prove to myself I could do it - envying anyone who could do both. I didn't make any money and got into lots of debts.

Then one day - I decided I wanted to spend more time with my son before he started school and returned to mobile.

It works if you truly want it to but I think maybe I really didn't want it enough.

Best of luck in what you do.
xx

I think any working mum, finds it hard especially if her kids arent at full time school.

I am sure that at the age of 38, you know whether you would be able to cope physically and mentally with a new born baby and a business to run.

You just have to make sure that your staff can do a good job for you, when you are pregnant and cant get into work cause your head is down the loo, when your feeling tired.

And staff that you can trust to run your business whilst you are at home when baby is first born, and sort out your childcare for your daughter and when the new baby arrives. Having a place/person that you trust to look after your kids, will make going to work alot less stressfull.

Good look with your business and becoming a new mum

I am in the same situation sort of, i have had my salon since last september and my husband and I want to have a baby, Mark wants to wait until I have almost cleared my debts but I would rather do it now ish as you don't know how long it will take you to concieve, mark is 6 years older than me and it will take approximately 3 years or so to pay off the loan, I am 25, Mark is 32 so if we leave it 3 years then it takes a year or so to concieve i will be 30/31 by the time baby comes and mark will be 35/36ish. Does anyone have any experience with having babies, salons and debts?!:hug:

Latest posts

Back