Salon name copied?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L.Beautique

Reaction score
Hi I'm just wondering if there is anyone who can help me out on this one?

I opened my own hair and beauty salon 7months ago called L.Beautique and recently another salon has opened called ??? Beautique.

I am just wondering if there is anything I can do about them having the same beautique name as me.
When I originally came up with the name I did a lot of looking around to make sure nobody else around us had the same name with the spelling being abit unusual. The only one I found was America.

Or is there just nothing I can do?
Confused???

Thanks x

Hi, I don't think there's anything you can do about it as it's not actually exactly the same as yours. X

No- theres probably nothing you can do I'm afraid.

Unless you can prove they're trying to "pass off" (as in literally presenting themselves as your business) as you there's not a lot you can do about it if you havent trademarked and officially registered your name- and even then....it's not the same name!

The reality is that there's lots of "Beautiques" out there (Google it and you'll see).

Also I think that the same name thing only applys when your a limited company so when you register as a limited company no two limited company's are allowed to register the same name, if that makes sense. Not sure if im Definatley right just what I've been told in the past. X

Thanks. Just thought I'd see. Just annoying when there round the corner

Thanks

As it's already been mentioned, I don't think there's much you can do :sad:

Just as a matter of interest though how do you say your biz name?

Theres a salon in London with "Beautique" in it so maybe not as uncommon as you think

Soz

That is very annoying! You could ask them to rethink their name as you had it first.

If you were limited you would be able to get legal advice, but these days anyone can call them selves anything... Maybe write to them and state your reasons to why them having your name is a bad idea, you might end up having their clients or orders come to you! Which salon is more visible to the public? If you are then don't worry about it and just see how business is or if your clients mention the other salon at all.

Good luck x

I know there is a salon where I live in Chester called Beautique and I also know a Therapist in Glasgow who is under the name Beautique.
I used the name Beautique as a fake salon name for my Beauty Therapy Level 2 coursework (liked the name!) however I use 'Beauty in a Box' as my mobile name but there are undoubtedly more 'Beauty in a Box's ' out there!;)

XX

My salon is called Beautique too and I'm in County Durham :)

Yep, one of my customers is "Beautique Chester".

You can't trademark something that has become "customary in your line of trade" either - e.g. "China Garden" for a Chinese restaurant; I would place a fair bet that the Intellectual Property Office would treat "Beautique" as such a word too...

I'm Touch Beauty started in SE London relocated to Chester kept the name but there is a Touch of Beauty in Ellesmere Port... Not had any conflicts so far (since Sep 2010). But, I only just found out... so we'll see

Latest posts

Back