Science Topic: Allergies

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Envy

Reaction score
I have noticed a lot of threads commenting on allergies and irritation, I figured this would be a great time to raise awareness and expand some knowledge...

Firstly, what is an allergy?
An allergy is a hypersensitivity disorder in the immune system. Allergic reactions occur when a person's immune system reacts to normally harmless substances in the environment. These can range from simply irritation, through to mild allergy (eg. Hay fever) and right through to extreme and potentially life threatening (such as peanut or bee sting allergy)

There is no single known cause of ‘why’ allergies occur, for many it’s genetic, for some it’s environmental or childhood illness related.. The one rule of thumb that seems to a general indicator is “fair skin, blue eyes, blonde hair – beware”

What we do know, once you develop an allergy it is basically for life… The body will be quicker to react with any future exposure to the substance it’s now reactive to. The first warning sign of your body’s reaction is irritation, inflamed, red, itchy skin means you are very much heading down the track of allergy. Once this starts to form water blisters and feels hot and sore you have developed a full blown contact allergy.

What’s the risk?
What we do know is there are many products that can easily lead to allergy, ESPECIALLY as nail technicians. Many of the products we use ‘could’ lead to allergy.. However NONE of these allergies need to ever occur IF you understand safe use and handling. Overexposure is defined as ‘repeated and prolonged exposure above levels specified safe by regulatory agencies’

Nail plates are of course non-living keratin – so can NEVER react to allergy themselves – BUT the soft tissue (skin) around the nail is very capable of being overexposed. In the case of most nail products, simply touching skin with uncured product (such as your liquid & powder brush) is overexposure.

Most nail enhancement products are a source of irritation in their ‘uncured form’ once cured the risk drops off to virtually nothing.. [/COLOR]
Below is the ‘ladder of sensitivity’ the higher up the ladder the higher the chance of causing allergy

Topof the ladder - highest chance of allergy
|_|
|_| Traditional Gels, buff off or soak off & UV gel polish
|_| MMA liquid & powder
|_| Odourless liquid & powder
|_| Low odour liquid & powder
|_| Ema Liquid & powder
|_| brisa gel
|_| Shellac
|_| Wraps & resin
|_| Nail Polish (non uv)
|_|
Bottom of the ladder - lowest chance of allergy

What can I do about an allergy?
Basically … nothing … once you have an allergy, you will always have it.. you can relieve symptoms by using steroid creams and anti-histamines, but this will only ever be temporary..

your best defence is actually prevention – working safe and avoiding touching known irritants to soft tissue will ensure you AND YOUR CLIENTS do not become allergic to you products – if you know you are sensitive, gloves may be a very good idea as a precaution. Below are some of the most common bad habits that nail techs get into that lead to allergic reaction…

Common points of exposure:
Handling chemicals without protection
Product (liquid/gel) on your brush handle
resting your finger on your dappen dish when wetting your brush
Leaning on your table wipes
Swiping the brush across clients skin
even allowing fresh filings to land on your skin is a source of exposure to uncured product
and any other where you come into contact with uncured product

(once product is fully cured, it becomes inert, and will not add to the irritation risk)

I hope this helps your understanding of allergies and will inspire your safe handling of potential irritants…

Last edited:
Good thread envy.

Thanks for the new thread I'm enjoying the science topics :)

This really should be posted in the member articles forum so it doesn't get lost.

We are hearing more and more about allergies especially with the use of gel colour polish. Technicians really must develop good working habits with these products.

One of the most common bad habits is wiping off any excess polish or making corrections using your own thumbnail! The gel stays under your nail for a prolonged period of time, uncured and reactive. Of course another danger is getting these polishes on the skin in the first place.

One of the key factors for CND when researching and developing Shellac was to make the product as safe as possible for technicians to use by removing all the most common allergy causing chemicals (allergens) from Shellac so that it is hypoallergenic. But being hypoallergenic does not mean you can be any less careful in your working habits; hypoallergenic only means that one is LESS likely to become allergic not that one cannot become allergic. Brisa gel also is a hypoallergenic gel. Good to know these things.

Thank you for this Envy it's really great that you take time to share this information with us, hopefully threads like this will help make us all better nail techs x :D

Thank you for this Envy it's really great that you take time to share this information with us, hopefully threads like this will help make us all better nail techs x :D
There are many more informative threads such as this one in the Members Articles and Turorials section of the site. If you haven't found that section, directions are at the top of the page. You really should.

There are many more informative threads such as this one in the Members Articles and Turorials section of the site. If you haven't found that section, directions are at the top of the page. You really should.
You are very right Gigi. I will add all of these to articles. It's also nice to refresh these discussions and remind peeps to seek out the additional articles...
:)
Allen

I have noticed a lot of threads commenting on allergies and irritation, I figured this would be a great time to raise awareness and expand some knowledge...

Firstly, what is an allergy?
An allergy is a hypersensitivity disorder in the immune system. Allergic reactions occur when a person's immune system reacts to normally harmless substances in the environment. These can range from simply irritation, through to mild allergy (eg. Hay fever) and right through to extreme and potentially life threatening (such as peanut or bee sting allergy)

There is no single known cause of ‘why’ allergies occur, for many it’s genetic, for some it’s environmental or childhood illness related.. The one rule of thumb that seems to a general indicator is “fair skin, blue eyes, blonde hair – beware”

What we do know, once you develop an allergy it is basically for life… The body will be quicker to react with any future exposure to the substance it’s now reactive to. The first warning sign of your body’s reaction is irritation, inflamed, red, itchy skin means you are very much heading down the track of allergy. Once this starts to form water blisters and feels hot and sore you have developed a full blown contact allergy.

What’s the risk?
What we do know is there are many products that can easily lead to allergy, ESPECIALLY as nail technicians. Many of the products we use ‘could’ lead to allergy.. However NONE of these allergies need to ever occur IF you understand safe use and handling. Overexposure is defined as ‘repeated and prolonged exposure above levels specified safe by regulatory agencies’

Nail plates are of course non-living keratin – so can NEVER react to allergy themselves – BUT the soft tissue (skin) around the nail is very capable of being overexposed. In the case of most nail products, simply touching skin with uncured product (such as your liquid & powder brush) is overexposure.

Most nail enhancement products are a source of irritation in their ‘uncured form’ once cured the risk drops off to virtually nothing.. [/COLOR]
Below is the ‘ladder of sensitivity’ the higher up the ladder the higher the chance of causing allergy

Topof the ladder - highest chance of allergy
|_|
|_| Traditional Gels (UV gel polish)
|_| MMA liquid & powder
|_| Odourless liquid & powder
|_| Low odour liquid & powder
|_| Ema Liquid & powder
|_| brisa gel
|_| Shellac
|_| Wraps & resin
|_| Nail Polish (non uv)
|_|
Bottom of the ladder - lowest chance of allergy

What can I do about an allergy?
Basically … nothing … once you have an allergy, you will always have it.. you can relieve symptoms by using steroid creams and anti-histamines, but this will only ever be temporary..

your best defence is actually prevention – working safe and avoiding touching known irritants to soft tissue will ensure you AND YOUR CLIENTS do not become allergic to you products – if you know you are sensitive, gloves may be a very good idea as a precaution. Below are some of the most common bad habits that nail techs get into that lead to allergic reaction…

Common points of exposure:
Handling chemicals without protection
Product (liquid/gel) on your brush handle
resting your finger on your dappen dish when wetting your brush
Leaning on your table wipes
Swiping the brush across clients skin
even allowing fresh filings to land on your skin is a source of exposure to uncured product
and any other where you come into contact with uncured product

(once product is fully cured, it becomes inert, and will not add to the irritation risk)

I hope this helps your understanding of allergies and will inspire your safe handling of potential irritants…

Very interesting.

Does Bio Sculpture come under "traditional gels" or do you mean buff off gels?
If Bio Sculpture doesn't, do you know where on the scale it comes please?

Very interesting.

Does Bio Sculpture come under "traditional gels" or do you mean buff off gels?
If Bio Sculpture doesn't, do you know where on the scale it comes please?

I didn't really get into soak off gels much - I have updated the main article to add these specifically...

Bio (and all soak off gel colours, including 'gel' polish) all fall into the traditional gel category..

The reason for this being, they are mostly based on acrylates (rather than methacrylates, which are less allergenic) and often contain gluteraldehyde & formaldehyde (formalin) to strengthen their bonding to the natural nail as acrylates are so poor at forming strong bonds on their own..

hth's

Sorry Envy, another question. You say

"Most nail enhancement products are a source of irritation in their ‘uncured form’ once cured the risk drops off to virtually nothing.."

After investing so much money into being a nail tech I am very concious that I don't want to greatly increase my risk of becoming allergic to the products & therefore having to give up due to me having allergic reactions.

I'm wanting to do the CND Brisa course but I'm a little concerned as it is a "buff off" gel.

My question is:

Although gel is cured once it has come out of the lamp for it's appropriate time it is still curing/hardening ( I tell my clients to be extra careful for 24 hours after application as the gel is still adhering to the nail & still hardening) & listening to Doug Shoon the gel is harder to remove the longer the client has worn it as gel carries on curing/hardening.

So if I am filing the "buff off" gel after it has been in the lamp (& wiped inhibition layer off) am I not exposing myself to a lot of un-cured gel if I am doing it all day every day?

Or is this risk "virtually nothing"

With brisa especially the risk is virtually nothing as there is only a tiny percentage of un-cured product remaining and the formula is already so much lower on the allergy ladder

This risk raises with higher up ladder products

Note: the inhibition layer on 'traditional' gels and gel polishes is a 'high' potential irritant as this layer is virtually un-cured at all

I hope that helps explain it somewhat...

Allen

With brisa especially the risk is virtually nothing as there is only a tiny percentage of un-cured product remaining and the formula is already so much lower on the allergy ladder

This risk raises with higher up ladder products

Note: the inhibition layer on 'traditional' gels and gel polishes is a 'high' potential irritant as this layer is virtually un-cured at all

I hope that helps explain it somewhat...

Allen

Great, thanks Allen. That is a comfort to know.

Thank you so much for sharing such information. X

This is great information - thank you for sharing :)

I wasn't taught how to work safely with my chemicals during training... If I was, I might not be in this situation now!

Unfortunately, although I knew how to work safely with monomer etc (thanks to SG), I wasn't aware that fresh filing dust was reactive. I'm mobile and sometimes have to rush between clients - one particular time I didn't get a chance to wash my hands before driving to the next client and since then found my hands getting itchy. Now I have a dry blister in the crease of my left thumb (where it joins the palm) and I assume there was filing dust caught in there :(

I ignored it but it just seems to be getting bigger where I keep working.

So my question is, now that I have this problem, can anyone recommend a good, effective barrier cream? I already wear gloves when filing but I hate the sticky glove hand feeling and wear them as little as possible.

Thank you!

Xxx

Envy, do you think it would be a good.idea to.spray.clients hands with soapy.water and wipe away after.removing the inhibition layer? X

Unfortunately, although I knew how to work safely with monomer etc (thanks to SG), I wasn't aware that fresh filing dust was reactive. I'm mobile and sometimes have to rush between clients - one particular time I didn't get a chance to wash my hands before driving to the next client and since then found my hands getting itchy. Now I have a dry blister in the crease of my left thumb (where it joins the palm) and I assume there was filing dust caught in there :(

I ignored it but it just seems to be getting bigger where I keep working.

So my question is, now that I have this problem, can anyone recommend a good, effective barrier cream? I already wear gloves when filing but I hate the sticky glove hand feeling and wear them as little as possible.
Sorry VerdePerdy that I hadn't seen this question earlier...

One single over exposure is unlikely to lead to an allergic reaction (not impossible though...) most likely this reaction had been building up and the day you didn't wash was the step too much...

I've never found a barrier cream that I would endorse as reliably safe with allergic reaction once the symptoms are started
I would suggest nitrile gloves as these are thinner and less irritating in their own right...

Again it really worries me that your 'education' skipped your health and safety... This is one of the leading causes of techs giving up for health... Sigh...

Envy, do you think it would be a good.idea to.spray.clients hands with soapy.water and wipe away after.removing the inhibition layer? X
As a tech I would ALWAYS wash my hands after any service. You handle these products all day and really need to reduce any potential overexposure.

Clients only come in contact for very short amounts of time (assuming YOU are following safe work practices with them). So it is not essential for them. By the time you use isopropyl alcohol (or similar) to remove the inhibition layer the remnant threat is super minimal for the client

Hths. Allen

Bump. Too important to miss...

Bump. Too important to miss...

Re-bumping as this is so so important..

I'm awaiting my fate regarding my future as a nail tech due to ignoring safety, using eBay L&P garb to play before I started courses and learnt how bad they were (reactions started back then but were ignored), trying to work through the reactions n not treat..
I'm an NVQ 2&3 qualified tech now but the damage was already starting way before college.
My last allergic reactions before being TOLD by the hospital to stop using L&P was swollen itchy throat, blisters inside my mouth and big one on roof of mouth at back, itchy runny eyes, nasal drip/pour, cough due to lack of air being breathed in, hard to breath, crackling lungs, itchy skin on body... Is this making you want to work safely yet??
Im now waiting to find out if i have hypersensitivity pnumonitis or pulmonary fibrosis from chemical overexposure and allergy.
DON'T let this happen to you!!!

I hoping someone can help me here, ive had a reaction to something I have little blister lile bumbs along the sides of fingers sides od hands and wrists, and my skin is cracking where the skin meets the nail bed under the free edge whoch is very painful. Ive starting working a lot more carefully but still no luck. It is always aggreviated after a nail client. Only issue is I have very sensitive skin and when ive worn gloves in the past for other things ive found the irritate my hands. Is there anything else I can do x

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back