Screen goes blank on laptop?!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodipodi

Reaction score
Anyone who knows a thing or two about computers would be greatly appreciated at this precise moment as my laptop screen keeps going off randomly, not the power just the screen! -ITS MY LIFELINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE HELP ME. Ive tried putting it in safe mode but it wont connect me to internet? :cry: xxx

If you move the mouse, does the screen come back to life? Does the screen only go off when left for a few minutes? If so then it's probably the power saving settings.

Although if from what you are saying it's totally random, then probably not. Hopefully not a loose connection or something nasty like that.

I'm useless when it comes to PCs and laptops but my mate had this problem last week and went to pc world for advise,
they told her it was due to a static build up and to take out the battery for a few seconds then put it back in and turn on laptop again,
it worked, i don't understand it myself but its worth having a go hun, hth :hug:

What make of laptop is it? is it still under warranty?

is it when you move/tilt the screen or just randomly?

Done a virus check?

Amb x:hug:

It happens randomly, usually a couple of minutes after logging in. Just noticed that I still have an image its just so dark I cant see it can just see that its still there so not a total loss of screen. It also happens sometimes when I plug the ac adapter into it?!! God I cant cope lol......itll go off in a minute!

It happens randomly, usually a couple of minutes after logging in. Just noticed that I still have an image its just so dark I cant see it can just see that its still there so not a total loss of screen. It also happens sometimes when I plug the ac adapter into it?!! God I cant cope lol......itll go off in a minute!

Sounds like the backlight playing up then (there's a fluorescent light behind the LCD matrix in most laptop screens) - if there is still a really dark image then the LCD itself sounds like it's still working OK. So either the backlight coming to the end of its life, or a loose connection. Either way, sounds like it could do with a service, I think...

Thanks Ruth hun, you little computer techno geeky thing you! Lol, it goes straight off now when I plug the adapter in. Defo taking it to the PC pitstop before I have a malfunction of my own he he.... Thanks guys xx

Thanks Ruth hun, you little computer techno geeky thing you! Lol, it goes straight off now when I plug the adapter in. Defo taking it to the PC pitstop before I have a malfunction of my own he he.... Thanks guys xx

Thank you - and thanks for the compliment too :)

I'm not going to undermine anything Ruth says,because I know absobloominglutly nothing about comps :lol: But this happend to me a few months back and my brother said it was the backlight.
Befor I had a chance to get it sorted my hubby cleand out all the bits of fluff and food :green: from a conection thingy ( when you close the lid part, told ya I'm not compy geeky :lol:) and hey presto it started working again.
Give it a try lol

Last edited:
I'm not going to undermine anything Ruth says,because I know absobloominglutly about comps :lol: But this happend to me a few months back and my brother said it was the backlight.
Befor I had a chance to get it sorted my hubby cleand out all the bits of fluff and food :green: from a conection thingy ( when you close the lid part, told ya I'm not compy geeky :lol:) and hey presto it started working again.
Give it a try lol

That's OK - you didn't undermine what I said anyway, as I suggested possibly a loose connection to the backlight :)

Hmmmmmm....only seems to be happening now when I plug in the adapter/power? Doesnt add up? x

Hmmmmmm....only seems to be happening now when I plug in the adapter/power? Doesnt add up? x

So it works on battery but not AC power? Now that's just weird! Unless your power management setup is spangled.

Well it wasnt before but it is now!!! W.T.F? As soon as I plug in the cord it goes off but not off altogether just black and u can barely make out the screen?......x

Well it wasnt before but it is now!!! W.T.F? As soon as I plug in the cord it goes off but not off altogether just black and u can barely make out the screen?......x

Am well confused now! I'd need to see it to figure out what was going on, even if it was something I could fix without needing a PhD in electronics!

Ruth hun I am as puggled as you are its still on the blink, just dont want to get shafted with a big bill from a computer place incase its something little lol. Never mind Im using it at the moment in battery mode and just keep charging it while its turned off so I dont get withdrawl symptoms! x

Back up everything NOW!!!!! you know what will happen, it'll go off completely, and then you'll b kicking yourself! xx

Thats easy to say I havnt got a flippin clue how to lol!? haha God help me Im useless x

I just mean, save all your pictures, documents, etc onto a cd/dvd/pendrive before they disappear, never to be seen again xx

Any news on your laptop. Mine is playing up I'm on my computer now as I think mine is overheating and it just freezes. Sometimes screen blank sometimes goes as far as starting up then freezing.

Not yet love, just aint got the cash to put it in this week lol! Im a bit scared incase I get a huge bill for some made up technical problem! x

Latest posts

Back