Sculpting bitten nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLUSKERM

Reaction score
Hello ,
I have been looking for info on sculpting bitten nails , just because on a previous thread , someone said that you can sculpt them. Snyway to cut a long story short, I went to a family member tonight to do her nails. She is a nail biter and was going to do tips , i thought i would try sculpting them (by the way this is in liquid and powder). The overall result I was impressed with , only the stress area looked weak when finishing because the forms didnt want to stay where I put them even though i was holding them. Maybe I am doing it wrong or there is a better method?

Also she has one where there is no nail just skin. Didnt do anything, with it but can you? Anyone with more experience and advice would be really appreciated!

what.forms.are,you.using.hun?

I.have.had.a.severe.nail.biter.
she,had,mostly.skin.on.every.nail.there.are.pictures.in.the.gallery.somewhere,and.also.in.a.few.threads.i.have,.done
if.,you,search.,my.threads,you,will.spot.them.

On.this.lady.I.sculpted.straight.,on.to.her.skin.
now.this.isnt.usually.recommended,but.,in.some.circumstances,its,the,only,way.
I.was.worried.about.over.exposure...but.am.aware.that.over-exposure.happens.over.repeated.exposure,

I.will.look.for.some.links.to.other.threads,for.,you.now.with.lots.of.info.on.hunxxx
coz.its.doing.my.head.in.typing.on.this.broken.keyboard.lol

Use stiffer forms... I prefer Competition forms (TT) for nail biters but I have just got a roll of Dual use Ez Nails forms.. they have oval on one side square on the other (yay no more tailoring for square C curves!) and I am impressed. I normally fold them over the end of the finger tight (after tailoring them for the correct fit) and pinch them under the finger so they are nice and snugg... then build the nail as u normally would.. just add a little more to the stress area if u need to :)

Is there any particular reason that you decided to sculpt rather than tip? Was it because you fancied the challenge? If so then choose the method that is best for the client and not what you fancy at the time! It is usually better to tip a nail biter - although not always.

Also, as a general FYI, if you are a novice tech then a severe nail biter is probably beyond your capabilities and best left to someone with more experience. When I started in a nail salon they would not let the rookie techs do nail biters as it takes a lot more skill to do PLUS you need to be confident and sympathetic in your approach with nail biters as they are far more likely to have problems in the early days.

Hi, thanks for the help, i was using cnd performance forms, i actually tipped a couple to see the difference, I have seen the ezflow forms might give them a try. Me trying sculpting on her was me putting myself in a difficult situation and trying to do it, always love a challange. I would not do this on a client, this person is close family and doesnt mind being a guinea pig for me because she gets free nails!:)

what.forms.are,you.using.hun?

I.have.had.a.severe.nail.biter.
she,had,mostly.skin.on.every.nail.there.are.pictures.in.the.gallery.somewhere,and.also.in.a.few.threads.i.have,.done
if.,you,search.,my.threads,you,will.spot.them.

On.this.lady.I.sculpted.straight.,on.to.her.skin.
now.this.isnt.usually.recommended,but.,in.some.circumstances,its,the,only,way.
I.was.worried.about.over.exposure...but.am.aware.that.over-exposure.happens.over.repeated.exposure,

I.will.look.for.some.links.to.other.threads,for.,you.now.with.lots.of.info.on.hunxxx
coz.its.doing.my.head.in.typing.on.this.broken.keyboard.lol
Is it the space bar!:lol:

there is a fab tutorial on here that peter pan(glynis) did.im sure if you do a search for it you will find it.

Hi hun,

Don't know if this is ok BUT I did a full set of L&P on a nail biter yesterday, her nails were bitten down really low and her finger tip was quite fat :irked: if you know what I mean.

I used the forms to pull the finger tip flat and the side walls down and stuck the form in place. I placed a bead of "Natural" on the edge of the bitten nail and pulled it onto the form, creating a free edge. I flattened it as much as possible on the free edge, not in the stress area. I did zone 1 2 and 3 as per normal using white in zone one, intense pink in zone two and perfect pink in zone three. Just a quick experiment that worked beautifully for the client.

I know what tutorials on here have said about tipping nail biters but i have found that they stick their nails in their mouths constantly and loosen the tips. I have found, from my experience, sculpting a bit more resilient.

Hope this helps!

xxxx

there is a fab tutorial on here that peter pan(glynis) did.im sure if you do a search for it you will find it.
Ive tried to find it but had no luck , anyone know how to find it?

hi there its called building free edges without forms.if you go to the top of the page and click where it says search,type in peter pan and a list of threads will appear you need to click into a thread called help bittens nails

thanks sandi,i couldnt remember how to do it:o.im glad someone knew what i was trying to do.im sure you'll fing this tutorial very helpful

Thanks ive been looking for that for ages, its been realy helpful, so i suppose on a finger nail you could build a free edge and then sculpt with forms.

I tailor each form to fit each nail--this means that the form is up quite high on the fingertip, but it's covering the skin. I rarely have problems with this method (like the headaches I encounter with using tips on nailbiters! ARG!). Then I schedule the muncher for one week rebalances. It must be done--they need to be baby'd for at least a month while the natural nail grows out underneath. After that, we're practically home-free. Unless she starts biting again, in which case I turn into the Nail Nazi. "No nails for ju!!" SLAP! :D

there is some information that i think will help you on this site Entity Beauty go to education then click on demos and select nudite brochure. i learned these techniques last year and find they work very well.

there is some information that i think will help you on this site Entity Beauty go to education then click on demos and select nudite brochure. i learned these techniques last year and find they work very well.
Thanks just had a look , really good!:)

i wished all my nail biters nails looked like those nails on the entity website!!! lol

i wished all my nail biters nails looked like those nails on the entity website!!! lol

ha, ha, i know what you mean. :irked:
the model is not a very realistic one, but the method does work well:green:

Latest posts

Back